Linus dipped deep into politics in the WAN show. I have some opinions and some answers. Where can I respond?

In this WAN show, Linus talked about GoG pulling Devotion from its store due to pressure from the CCP. There he raised some questions to which I might be able to provide some valuable knowledge. I believe it would be helpful not only for Linus, but also for others who might be interested in this topic.

However due to this discussion being political in nature, it goes directly against LTT Forum's Community Standards. Therefore I do not want to post without asking for permission. Is there a place, either on this forum or some other LTT-associated platform where I can do so?

YT/FP comments?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

23 minutes ago, DarthEoin said:

you could dm linus or email him but chanse are he will not look at it

@LinusTech

I'm sure if I tried hard enough I will eventually be able to reach him. I am looking for a public discussion though.

Just now, Kilrah said:

YT/FP comments?

It's kind of too long for a comment. It would be nice if I can post images and tables and have nice formatting.

5 minutes ago, Scheimong said:

I'm sure if I tried hard enough I will eventually be able to reach him. I am looking for a public discussion though.

You're not the only one who'd like to discuss something with Linus (in public). Of course it's possible he'll respond, but it's not unreasonable for him not to do so.

I highly doubt that Linus would be willing to engage in a public political discussion with someone. 

Just because someone else has thoughts and opinions on a topic doesn't mean they need to be rebutted. 

8 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

You're not the only one who'd like to discuss something with Linus (in public). Of course it's possible he'll respond, but it's not unreasonable for him not to do so.

He's a busy man and even if he's not there's no obligation from him to respond to anything I say.

I meant to say that I would like the discussion to take place in a public forum (in the general sense of the word). Whether Linus wants to say anything (or for that matter, read it at all) is of course, completely his own choice.

3 minutes ago, danomicar said:

I highly doubt that Linus would be willing to engage in a public political discussion with someone. 

Just because someone else has thoughts and opinions on a topic doesn't mean they need to be rebutted. 

I can understand that. I do not intend to debate anyone, rather just provide some insights. Heck, I can even omit my opinion entirely and just provide facts (although admittedly, what does "fact" mean anymore these days). But still it would be political in nature and thus violate the Community Standards.

I mean, there are always other places to go to if all I want is to voice some political opinion. It's just that since one of the primary functions of this forum is to host discussions on LMG's videos and streams, I think it would be inappropriate if there's content on LMG's channels that we are not allowed to talk about here.

4 minutes ago, Scheimong said:

I mean, there are always other places to go to if all I want is to voice some political opinion. It's just that since one of the primary functions of this forum is to host discussions on LMG's videos and streams, I think it would be inappropriate if there's content on LMG's channels that we are not allowed to talk about here.

True

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

For start, I have relied this to moderation team. I won't comment on rules regarding things like this. Just saying that many things Linus does or says on YT are not allowed to be discussed here.

Alternative place probably would be Reddit? That is, if you want to keep your commentary more public. But just saying you have something that you think might be valuable isn't really saying anything. Do you have like a degree (or upcoming degree) on history, politics, economy or law? Which would mean your commentary might have some more legit non-bias than how average person looks at things,

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

29 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Just saying that many things Linus does or says on YT are not allowed to be discussed here.

Fair enough. I do understand that it's really difficult to keep conversations civil if you allow some topics, and politics is certainly one of them.

My main concern is that technology is increasingly becoming intertwined with politics in this heavily divided world we live in, so I'm afraid that situations like this will only happen more frequently in the future. Ultimately it's LMG's forum, so of course you are free to write your rules. I would however suggest offering an alternative location for discussion in Community Standards though, if you guys insist on keeping the ban. For example, putting the Reddit link in that post.

41 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

But just saying you have something that you think might be valuable isn't really saying anything. Do you have like a degree (or upcoming degree) on history, politics, economy or law? Which would mean your commentary might have some more legit non-bias than how average person looks at things,

If you're asking for qualifications, then obviously I'm happy to provide that. Else why would anyone believe me?

Unfortunately I do not have one of the degrees you listed. But why is it relevant? I can post tech news if I know a leaker, even if I don't have a computer science degree (which funnily enough, this one I do have). Same here - I don't think I need a politics degree to post some facts that touch politics (of course, assuming the rules allow it). Whether people believe me is down to the credibility of my sources and other qualifications, but that's their choice to make.

Ultimately I'm not trying to claim that "[my] commentary might have some more legit non-bias than how average person looks at things". It's just facts and my opinion. Evereone is free to fact-check the facts I claim, of course; as of personal opinion I've said that I'm willing to completely forgo it if necessary.

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

For start, I have relied this to moderation team. I won't comment on rules regarding things like this.

Oh, and sorry for not addressing this. Thanks to you and the rest of the moderation team for taking my request seriously. I understand that as far as this forum is concerned I am really nobody, so I greatly appreciate it.

53 minutes ago, Scheimong said:

But why is it relevant?

The question is, if this would be allowed (I won't be commenting on either way about that), why would it be allowed to you and no one else? What makes what you want to say better or more important than some of our more regular members (who have been active in politically juiced threads in past) for example? There's very good reason why the ban on politics has been made total.

And you saying you have just average, maybe well read and up on news-type, doesn't really make your opinion when posted here any more valuable. If you think your points are too long for YT/FP comments, you could also post into twilonger (or whatever the places which allow such) and link it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The reason that we don't allow politics on the forum is that, unlike the controlled environment of the WAN show, such discussions invariably turn into flame wars because there are different groups of people with deeply held and contrasting beliefs. As such, even though it was discussed on the WAN show, it's not a topic of discussion that we will allow here.

Twitter, YouTube, Reddit, etc are platforms that are more accepting of things like this, and you could try there. However, to be realistic, it is unlikely that Linus will want to engage in a political discussion, regardless of the platform that it is posted on.

HTTP/2 203

I doubt a post about it in the news or off topic section would get locked, it’s a pretty cut and dry case of Chinese government pressure to censor a game. 

Censoring and locking posts on the forum simply for talking about totalitarian regimes attempting to censor games themselves would be... unfortunate and an extremely moronic decision.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

13 hours ago, Scheimong said:

It's kind of too long for a comment. It would be nice if I can post images and tables and have nice formatting.

But that's where you can easily reach out to them... 

Also Twitter etc. If they think what you got is interesting im sure they'll contact you. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

I doubt a post about it in the news or off topic section would get locked, it’s a pretty cut and dry case of Chinese government pressure to censor a game. 

Censoring and locking posts on the forum simply for talking about totalitarian regimes attempting to censor games themselves would be... unfortunate and an extremely moronic decision.

you should not doubt the authoritarian nature of the moderation staff

Got this topic on my Google news feed...

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

On 12/19/2020 at 8:22 PM, Scheimong said:

In this WAN show, Linus talked about GoG pulling Devotion from its store due to pressure from the CCP. There he raised some questions to which I might be able to provide some valuable knowledge. I believe it would be helpful not only for Linus, but also for others who might be interested in this topic.

However due to this discussion being political in nature, it goes directly against LTT Forum's Community Standards. Therefore I do not want to post without asking for permission. Is there a place, either on this forum or some other LTT-associated platform where I can do so?

tweet at him/his personal twitter, or DM on the forum, he might see it eventually 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Facts aren't allowed to be voiced anymore if they upset people. 

Stating the obvious is considered "hateful".

Linus is entitled to his opinion, as are all of us - and if his opinion is in opposition to yours simply file it away mentally, and move on.