Will you be switching from CentOS to Rocky Linux?

4 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be switching from CentOS to Rocky Linux?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • I will start paying for RHEL

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

I don't know, what if i continue using centos?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Maybe, yes. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

I don't know, what if i continue using centos?

If you continue, after its support period (31st December 2021) you will no longer receive updates, unless you switch to centos stream which is not as stable as normal centos

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Sandro Linux said:

If you continue, after its support period (31st December 2021) you will no longer receive updates, unless you switch to centos stream which is not as stable as normal centos

That it's less stable is only conjecture, I don't think anyone has comprehensive data on that. It's not always true that newer = unstable. It just gets RHEL packages a little earlier than RHEL - and you can just hold on to your updates until they're validated to your liking.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

That it's less stable is only conjecture, I don't think anyone has comprehensive data on that. It's not always true that newer = unstable. It just gets RHEL packages a little earlier than RHEL - and you can just hold on to your updates until they're validated to your liking.

Yes but with servers stability matters a lot. Any downtime is too much downtime

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Sandro Linux said:

Yes but with servers stability matters a lot. Any downtime is too much downtime

I know, I'm just saying it's not a given that Stream will give you any more downtime than the old release style.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

27 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I'm just saying it's not a given that Stream will give you any more downtime than the old release style.

But stream will be less tested than normal RHEL and less tested software, usually equals more bugs causing downtime. One update might not break your server but another one might and why would you take that kind of risk, when you could just switch to Rocky Linux, which will almost definitely be more stable?

Spoiler

Given that packages will sit between Fedora and RedHat, I still don't see the big issue. Fedora itself is rather stable and you wont get updates until probably long after Fedora goes through its 6 month release cycle. You will still be receiving tested outdated packages from a Distribution that's home to many core developers and testers.

I thought that CentOS werethe Sources of RHEL put together by Volunteers for other Users outside of Enterprise Uses for learning RHEL?

32 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I thought that CentOS werethe Sources of RHEL put together by Volunteers for other Users outside of Enterprise Uses for learning RHEL?

The original answer

Why does CentOS exist?

CentOS exists to provide a free enterprise class computing platform to anyone who wishes to use it. CentOS 2, 3, and 4 are built from publically available open source SRPMS provided by a prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor. CentOS conforms fully with the upstream vendors redistribution policies and aims to be 100% binary compatible. (CentOS mainly changes packages to remove upstream vendor branding and artwork.). CentOS is designed for people who need an enterprise class OS without the cost or support of the prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor. Neither the CentOS Project (we who build CentOS) nor any version of CentOS is affiliated with, produced by, or supported by the prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor. Neither does our software contain the upstream vendor's product ... although it is built from the same open source SRPMS as the upstream enterprise products.

However as of 2016.

1. What is CentOS Linux?

CentOS Linux provides a free and open source computing platform to anyone who wishes to use it. CentOS Linux releases are built from publicly available open source source code provided by Red Hat, Inc for Red Hat Enterprise Linux. This source code is available on the CentOS Git website.

CentOS Linux is the Community Development Platform for the Red Hat family of Linux distributions. See this FAQ     for more information.

CentOS conforms fully with Red Hat, Inc's redistribution policies and aims to be functionally compatible with Red Hat Enterprise Linux. CentOS mainly changes packages to remove trademarked vendor branding and artwork.

CentOS Linux does not contain Red Hat Enterprise Linux or Fedora Linux; nor does it have any of their certifications, although it is built from the same source code as the Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Since that change to the FAQ in 2016 however, RHEL has opened up its door to developers, giving out free licenses to anyone who requests one, without support. I am not sure when RHEL started that however.

Which is where RHEL statement comes into play.

CentOS Stream is an upstream development platform designed for CentOS community members, Red Hat partners, ecosystem developers, and many other groups to more quickly and easily see what’s coming in the next version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and to help shape these capabilities.

A video about the situation I found: 

Spoiler