Fighting the urge to upgrade

Ergroilnin

So yeah, this is not a serious topic, I am just wondering, if there are people feeling same as me (or not and why).

My PC basically comes from 2013 (other than a new SSD and GPU) and for what I do with it. it is still basically 95% doing it's job perfectly.

Then I read all the time about the new stuff, about the specs, about perf/price and I get a nerdgasm and totally want to get that new shiny stuff and build it myself... Only to realize that for my use case, I basically would not get much, if any, actual upgrade on the performance.

So I am kind of putting myself to ease with thinking that the longer I wait, the bigger performance jump I will see (just an example, now I am on DDR3, but waiting a year or two will get me to DDR5, totally skipping DDR4 etc.).

Obviously if you love to play the newest triple A games or if you use your PC for productivity, then upgrading totally makes sense.

It's just that I have a sort of an inner fight within myself to get the new stuff because it is so lovely, even if I would not really get much out of it.

Anyone else feeling the same? :P

I was trying to fight it, but I had to cave when I realized that I couldn't just go on with swapping capture cards every time I wanted to play a PS2 game or every time I wanted to capture shit through HDMI. 

My mighty RX 580 is still truckin'... and is holding back my CPU now.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, Ergroilnin said:

Anyone else feeling the same?

yea, but i find it easy to justify when i just sit down and think "can i even tell the difference?" most of the time the answer is no

that said, im also the person that have a 3900x + 2070S/3060Ti, but choose to play games mostly on my older rig which is i5 6600 + gtx 970 rig, just because it's more comfortable lol

sure, the 3900x rig defo stutters less in some games i play, but -shrug- idk how to explain other than my bedside rig is more comfy, so im pretty comfy using older hardware to game, even though the difference is jarring

i still move to my main rig if im playing serious games tho, or if im speedrunning stuffs

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 hours ago, Ergroilnin said:

Anyone else feeling the same? :P

Not at all.

It started with the original Doom in 1993. My 386 looked like a slide show so I had to upgrade.  The motherboard and 486 in the build only lasted 6 months and was replaced with a Pentium. It was steady upgrades from then on. 

In 2011 I bought a i7 2600k it was not upgraded until 2018 but at he same time vram started become an issue with my modded games so I upgraded for vram every time a card came out with more. 

In 2015 I saw a LTT video on a Samsung 4k monitor and in the same week I visited a Tiger Direct store and they had the same monitor on display running a 4k demo. I had to have one and that started my quest for more GPU power that continues to this day.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Hide your money from yourself so you can't buy upgrades. 

If you don't need it, don't get it. 

I really want to upgrade my computer but it works well so I'm keeping it the same. 

If DDR5 is anything like DDR4 when it launched, you're not getting a tangible benefit till it's mainstream. I've upgraded from a first gen Ryzen 1600 to an i7 10700k since the 5800x was overpriced ironically. By the time this rig needs upgrading beyond graphics card, DDR5 would have already matured.