PNY Bad Reputation?

EndoHash

I recently managed to get my hands on a PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 but all my friends seem to say that this is a mistake and PNY cards have a bad reputation and are bottom tier manufacturer

I know that they are not the top tier of 3080s but is there any reason why a PNY card is worse than a MSI or GIGABYTE card for example?

Doing a bit of research online I only seem to see positive things about them

PNY itself is fine. My 3080 was pretty loud but that's about it. Now it's running under a waterblock and serves me extremely well with boost clocks at 2000MHz without overclocking. But as always, judge the product, not the brand.

Afaik they're also a huge supplier of workstation cards. Pretty much all quadros i've seen are from PNY.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

PNY itself is fine. My 3080 was pretty loud but that's about it. Now it's running under a waterblock and serves me extremely well with boost clocks at 2000MHz without overclocking. But as always, judge the product, not the brand.

Afaik they're also a huge supplier of workstation cards. Pretty much all quadros i've seen are from PNY.

if memory serves me correctly, PNY is Nvidias partner for the Founders edition cards, or use to be.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

9 minutes ago, EndoHash said:

I recently managed to get my hands on a PNY RTX 3080 XLR8 but all my friends seem to say that this is a mistake and PNY cards have a bad reputation and are bottom tier manufacturer

I know that they are not the top tier of 3080s but is there any reason why a PNY card is worse than a MSI or GIGABYTE card for example?

Doing a bit of research online I only seem to see positive things about them

I have never had any experience with them myself, but I do know that they are not one of the top tier brands, but they are a great choice for GPU's. Some of their one fan variants are not as good, but their higher end cards are good. I think that they are not as popular which leads them to be "looked down upon"

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

You can judge by yourself based on this list

It does NOT contain 30 series GPU yet, but it'll allow you to look at their previous cards and judge by yourself

Personally I think the tier B cards are already pretty good

Again, 30 series GPU may be different, they may have major design flaw and what not

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

PNY is solid. Never had an issue with them. Their coolers might not be the best, but apart from that it's fine.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

PNY got a bad reputation because they tried to make blowerstyle cards for the 2080 and failed measurably alot of the cards had severe thermal throttling issues but other than those its a solid company.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD