Leather vs cloth car seats

Inkz

Leather or cloth seats in cars?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of seats do you prefer?

• Leather
    • Cloth

What do you guys feel about the different car seats? I think leather look nice but personally I  have always preferred cloth, they don't feel as hot in the summer, they don't crack as much, and my skin doesn't stick to them like leather. But what do you guys think?

Leather, especially black, is an absolute bitch in the summer. Cloth, on the other hand, even when it's black, isn't nearly as bad.

That said, I would take really high quality leather over cloth.

I'd take cloth over everything else.

And Vinyl can die in a freaking fire.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

My Saturn's got grey cloth seats and honestly, I cherish them. Yes, they can get cold, but it's not as bad as leather in that regard. More notably, in the Alabama sun, it doesn't get nearly as scorching hot as leather can get. And coming from someone who's been in many cars with leather seats, especially black ones, I'd take cloth over leather any day of the week. Hell, if I end up with a Regal TourX, I'm gonna intentionally scout one out with cloth seats but with the good sound system in it lol. 

Don't forget about velour seats, a la those B-bodies and Buicks from the 90s.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I have an SUV with a leather interior (1997 Ford Explorer Limited). I cannot stand the smell of leather in the hot summer sun, gives me one helluva headache. Can't say whether it keeps me hotter or colder in the summers, mostly because I sweat regardless.

Not to mention they are a bitch to maintain. My interior isn't too bad. But I really gotta pay someone to fix it up a bit and then maintain it for me (but gotta fix the rust first :/)

Cloth, I've had both cloth and leather interiors and honestly, cloth for the win. Doesn't burn your legs on a hot day, doesn't freeze your rear end off in the cooler months. Also it isn't as susceptible to cracking like leather when it gets real cold out. 

Im going to re-iterate what @handymanshandle and @nbrowser said, but cloth is better. My current car has leather, it's an 18 year old car but the leather is actually in fantastic shape only just the smallest hint of cracking on the side of the driver's seat (it's about half an inch or less across and like 3-4" long), without fail if my next car is a second gen Chevy Volt, I am specifically getting one that has heated cloth seats because my current car a 2003 Saab 9-3 has heated leather and I really like having heated seats and I was surprised to find out from my grandma's 2018 Chevy Equinox that you can have cloth seats and have seat warmers too which was actually an option in the second gen Volt too!

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I never owned a cloth car seat because leather doesn't stain as easily, so if there's children and women in your family, it really helps

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

iv owned both. cloth is def better if you live on an island and dont wear shirts much. Sheepskin covers are best. Neoprene is a new thing I have not tried.

sheepskin>great cloth> great leather (unless you live where its hot then its always cloth) >good cloth >good leather

By far the most comfortable cars I've ever been in are a 2000 Toyota Avalon and a 2014 MDX both were leather.

I've spend plenty of time on modern sh*ty cloth seats and is meh. On the other hand even older Hondas cloth seats feel decent

My daily is cloth covered by sheepskin for the front 2 seats.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

A lot of leather in cars is rubbish, mostly vinyl with the thinnest outer coating of leather they can get away with and still legally call them leather seats.

I have leather in my Subaru, and the kindest thing you could say about it is that it's hard wearing. It feels like vinyl, it's sweaty like vinyl, it's black and with no design flair. I would have preferred cloth if that would not have meant giving up the big ass glass sunroof. Flip side I used to have an Alfa Romeo, it had leather, it felt like leather, it was red, and the seat centres were ribbed and perforated, it looked and felt glorious and sold the car to me. Leather done properly is very nice, but it's pretty rare in the cars most of us can afford unless you're brave enough to take on something like an old Maserati, Jag or Range Rover.   

I would also say in cloths favour, it gives your arse more seat adhesion under enthusiastic cornering.             

29 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

A lot of leather in cars is rubbish, mostly vinyl with the thinnest outer coating of leather they can get away with and still legally call them leather seats.

This. Decent Nappa leather is a beautiful thing but sadly it's either a hilariously expensive option or reserved solely for flagships these days.

I'm a big fan of alcantara seats.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

cloth 100%... dont need icicles on my bum in the winter, or swamp ass in the summer :P Cloth keeps it at a near perfect temp almost all year round. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Mine are cloth, removable and machine washable.

What more could you want?

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

I've owned Toyota Tundras with both cloth and currently leather seating. The leather beats the cloth hands down as far as comfort, support and wear resistance. Cold bum?... turn on the heated seat. My shorts are long enough that bare skin never touches the leather in the summer.

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

Cloth. Warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

Leather. I've used leather seats forever, they're easy to clean up messes on, they don't get as hot, etc.

There is nothing that cloth has that leather doesn't.

elephants

• 2 weeks later...

So i am currently on my 7th car since i started driving about 20 years ago and have driven countless cars from friends/family over the years and IMO leather is far better even fake leather over cloth all the time.

Leather is super easy to clean and it doesn't stain if you spill stuff on it or anything.

Yeah it may get a little warm in the summer but i live in the middle of the damn desert and it gets 115f (46c) here for a few months straight and like i said it's a mild annoyance but i've never burned myself on it or anything and once you sit down it cools down reasonably quickly to your body temp.

In the winter i travel north the the mountains and yeah it gets chilly up there but seat warmers are nice and even before i had them i didn't really notice the leather being any colder than old cloth seats.

For comfort its more about the seat filler for that, depends on the type of foam and springs and shape that make it comfortable not the outer covering. the only caveat to that is some older cloth seats i've sat in the armrest and headrest sometimes get really rough and if you move to quickly can actually scratch you.

I like a half leather. A nice pattern on the cloth which I sit on but other parts such as the seat bolster (sides) and other parts where one would slide into get in and out in leather. 

Alcentara/suede is banned, shit material for regular cars. Breathe bad, scuffs easy and manufacturers charge a lot of such a cheap material (yes it is most often cheeper than cloth). 

I love this Volvo seat design. No black on black design for me.

spacer.png

Cloth is soft and stuff. 

Leather is nice but I think it's more expensive and feels kinda weird sometimes. 

16 hours ago, infigo said:

Alcentara/suede is banned, shit material for regular cars.

I can personally confirm this. Suede (and Alcantara) look good and feel okay for the first couple of years, then they get fucking disgusting fast. Not to mention, they're a terrible material for seats specifically when it's not only on the driver's seat.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Here in Texas I will never own a car with leather seats, way too hot in the summer. The upkeep is really significant too, on real leather. Detail cleaning and conditioning all your seats multiple times a year is a big process.

Even the cloth seats in my cheap car only have one little scuff on the driver's entry bolster after a decade and a half. Unless you're willing to put the time into upkeep and you want a really nice car, cloth all the way. Also, leather is crazy slippery when it's cleaned and conditioned properly.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

I prefer cloth. I'm fine with leather seats getting hot in the summer, but what I absolutely hate is when they get cold in the winter. Sure, you can have seat warmers with leather, but cloth doesn't get cold in the first place so you don't need it. Also you don't slide around on cloth seats like you do on leather.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Cloth - because cloth seats are much cheaper to replace than leather.  Between my 90 lbs pitbull, and 2 kids - oof.  Last two cars (last one and this one) that I have gotten have leather seats.  Not again

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case