Pci e cabel to wide for psu (?)

Vanjakaa

So I ordered a new graphics card but it didn't include the cabel so I had to order one online. It came today and it fits in tha graphics card, but the thingy on top that clicks in is too wide for me to insert it. The completely black cable is from my previous graphics card that's still plugged in and the black and yellow is the newest one. You can clearly see that it's wider on the yellow one. What do I do? Can I take it off? 

16082124763033361375010855195265.jpg

16082125259937732549327157362887.jpg

1 minute ago, Vanjakaa said:

So I ordered a new graphics card but it didn't include the cabel so I had to order one online.

A videocard doesn't come with power cables, your PSU does.

Don't use any old random cable with your PSU, use the cables that came with it. If your PSU doesn't have the right cable or you don't have it (anymore), you need to get a new PSU probably.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The thing is. It's prebuilt so I don't have the cables. And this computer is brand new 

You will need to find out which PSU it has and get a cable for that model. 

PSU modular cables are not swappable

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Open your computer, and look at the power supply, what cables come out of it. 

one cable should have one or two pci-e 6+2  or 8 pin connectors and those go into your video card. 

If the power supply has no cable with pci-e connectors at the end, you need to buy a modular cable FOR YOUR POWER SUPPLY MODEL ... some manufacturers use same cables for several models, but there's no guarantee.... and a cable for power supplies made by one manufacturer often are not compatible with other power supplies. 

Also , note that there's EPS connectors  (8pin) which go into the motherboard to power the CPU , and there's PCI-E 6+2 / 8 pin connectors.  They're different, they're keyed, and if the wires are colored,  the EPS has yellow wires (12v) on the side with the clip , while the pci-e cables have black wires (ground) on the side with the clip. 

If the plug goes into the video card header easily (you're not forcing it in) and you're sure it's a pci-e connector, but it's just that plastic clip too wide to lock, then I suppose you could just cut that clip. 

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Open your computer, and look at the power supply, what cables come out of it. 

one cable should have one or two pci-e 6+2  or 8 pin connectors and those go into your video card. 

If the power supply has no cable with pci-e connectors at the end, you need to buy a modular cable FOR YOUR POWER SUPPLY MODEL ... some manufacturers use same cables for several models, but there's no guarantee.... and a cable for power supplies made by one manufacturer often are not compatible with other power supplies. 

Also , note that there's EPS connectors  (8pin) which go into the motherboard to power the CPU , and there's PCI-E 6+2 / 8 pin connectors.  They're different, they're keyed, and if the wires are colored,  the EPS has yellow wires (12v) on the side with the clip , while the pci-e cables have black wires (ground) on the side with the clip. 

If the plug goes into the video card header easily (you're not forcing it in) and you're sure it's a pci-e connector, but it's just that plastic clip too wide to lock, then I suppose you could just cut that clip. 

I'm gonna be honest and say that I didn't understand a lot of this. Am still a beginner when it comes to computer components. Can I still use the cable? It has 8 pins and it was hard enough to find a pci e cabel that was male 8 pins on both sides. I know it fits on both the graphic card and on the psu it's just the clip that's too wide. Thank you for the help :)

16 minutes ago, Vanjakaa said:

The thing is. It's prebuilt so I don't have the cables. And this computer is brand new 

Can you take a picture of the PSU?

It's this part:

image.png.c10a815fb188ba88dd12808acaeb09c0.png

I think this is a Seasonic Focus Plus PSU, looking at the two letters and its font.

Those should come with all the right cables for a videocard. Did you get the box for the PSU? Any cables there? Are there maybe PCIE cables hidden away in the case, cable managed away?

Don't use any random cable for your PSU, which you don't know 100% sure if compatible.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It's hard to get a picture, but it's the seasonic focus gx 550 650w psu. I didn't get any boxes. I ordered the pc and put together the parts inside myself, but it was just the computer that arrived. And yeah I understand that you shouldn't insert cables that aren't compatible, that's why I wanted to see if I could get any answers from people with more knowledge than me

That seasonic focus gx  650w  is a modular power supply. 

It should have a cable with 3 connectors - one that goes into the power supply and two which are pci-e 8 pin  or pci-e 6+2 ( the connector can be split into two segments for video cards that have only a pci-e 6 pin header) 

The connector that's furthest away from the other 2 connectors is supposed to go into the power supply, into one of the headers that has CPU/PCI-E under it. \

it should also have the letters "PSU" printed on it, telling you that goes into power supply.  

You're left with 1 or 2 connectors depending on wattage ( the 550w model seems to have 2 cables, each with just 1 pci-e 6+2 connector at the other end)

focus-px-gx-750-650-550-connector-leveled-labeled.thumb.jpg.2d16af7b52202632b1f1bee3cf13b255.jpg

550w 

focus-gx-550-accessories-labeled.thumb.jpg.6887986ec6bd24cd9452ec2830cc5d9d.jpg

650w 

focus-gx-650-accessories-labeled.thumb.jpg.9ca22deeeb58cf4cf99b545a8b38f1a4.jpg

1 hour ago, minibois said:

Can you take a picture of the PSU?

It's this part:

image.png.c10a815fb188ba88dd12808acaeb09c0.png

I think this is a Seasonic Focus Plus PSU, looking at the two letters and its font.

Those should come with all the right cables for a videocard. Did you get the box for the PSU? Any cables there? Are there maybe PCIE cables hidden away in the case, cable managed away?

Don't use any random cable for your PSU, which you don't know 100% sure if compatible.

So I've just been poking around and I found a 4 pin that was just folded down because the other part was used and I'm just wondering about something. I'm gonna add a picture but is it necessary to have cables in these ones and what are they for? 

16082205706834071774695268655396.jpg

5 minutes ago, Vanjakaa said:

So I've just been poking around and I found a 4 pin that was just folded down because the other part was used and I'm just wondering about something. I'm gonna add a picture but is it necessary to have cables in these ones and what are they for? 

You want at least the 8 pin cable installed:

image.png.c6137705669b85573b3e63ac4435432c.png

This is the EPS connector, which provides the CPU power. Usually on the PSU cable it says either EPS or CPU.

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

You want at least the 8 pin cable installed:

image.png.c6137705669b85573b3e63ac4435432c.png

This is the EPS connector, which provides the CPU power. Usually on the PSU cable it says either EPS or CPU.

Yeah it said CPU so I connected it again. What's the other 4 pin for? Tried taking it out and it also says CPU 

Both are to power the processor.

You only need  the 8 pin part. The 4 pin part is optional and only really helpful if you have a very power hungry cpu ( think 12-16 core) and you overclock that.

Connecting that optional 4 pin is like using a much thicker power cable to your TV or whatever. It doesn't hurt anything if it's there but also doesn't help much

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

Both are to power the processor.

You only need  the 8 pin part. The 4 pin part is optional and only really helpful if you have a very power hungry cpu ( think 12-16 core) and you overclock that.

Connecting that optional 4 pin is like using a much thicker power cable to your TV or whatever. It doesn't hurt anything if it's there but also doesn't help much

Ah ok. That makes sense. Thank you :) I decided to order a new cable that was for the seasonic psu so here's to hoping that works