Which device can I buy to measure if an air purifier is working?

MS-DOS

I bought this air purifier because my room has a window that has poor ventilation and I get smells (it's a laundry window)

https://www.levoit.com/allproducts/core300-true-hepa-air-purifier

Anyway, I just want to know if it's working. Which device speficically can I buy to measure particles in suspenssion? (I assme that's how you do it)

Also, if you don't clean the filter frequently (every week??) can it be harmful? Im paranoid because i've been coughing recently, and I realized I haven't opened it yet to clean filter and has been a couple months. Can it push the stuff trapped on the filter into the air?

20 minutes ago, MS-DOS said:

can it be harmful

I can't answer the other question about testing the air quality (it should be visible in the light of the sun whether or not there's less airborne particulate) , but I can tell you that it won't be harmful to you.

Forgetting to clean or change the filters, will result in the filter clogging up, restricting airflow. It won't suddenly start letting particulates go through just because it's clogged up.

What this clogging will do, is make the fan work harder to try and pull the air in, this can result in higher electricity usage and reduce lifetime before failure.

Because it's clogged up, it also won't be able to take in the particulates as effectively as before, too.

So it can cause harms to the air purifier itself and if it's really clogged up, it will no longer be as effective.

That said, you probably don't need to buy a new HEPA filter every few weeks like they would want you to. Twice or thrice a week is likely fine. Most of the particulates will be dust anyway. Just vacuum the filter to somewhat increase it's life if you want to save a few bucks.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

8 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I can't answer the other question about testing the air quality (it should be visible in the light of the sun whether or not there's less airborne particulate) , but I can tell you that it won't be harmful to you.

Forgetting to clean or change the filters, will result in the filter clogging up, restricting airflow. It won't suddenly start letting particulates go through just because it's clogged up.

What this clogging will do, is make the fan work harder to try and pull the air in, this can result in higher electricity usage and reduce lifetime before failure.

Because it's clogged up, it also won't be able to take in the particulates as effectively as before, too.

So it can cause harms to the air purifier itself and if it's really clogged up, it will no longer be as effective.

That said, you probably don't need to buy a new HEPA filter every few weeks like they would want you to. Twice or thrice a week is likely fine. Most of the particulates will be dust anyway. Just vacuum the filter to somewhat increase it's life if you want to save a few bucks.

Well... there's no sun in this room, it really sucks. I see particles building up on top of my monitors and table as usual, after a week it's gets dusty and I have to vacuum. I was expect that it would make it less dusty on the surfaces but can't notice much of a difference. Im just hoping the air is cleaner due the ones in suspension being filtered. I don't run it 24/7 tho and I run it at level 1 because other than that it becomes annoying. The room is 3x3 meter so I assume its enough.

Do take note that if you open the window at any point, you're just going to let dust in. In that case, no air purifier will help you, unless it's literally connected to the intake of the window.

The lowest setting, wouldn't be able to keep with that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

37 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Do take note that if you open the window at any point, you're just going to let dust in. In that case, no air purifier will help you, unless it's literally connected to the intake of the window.

The lowest setting, wouldn't be able to keep with that.

Yeah I barely ever open the window here, whats the point if you see a damn laundry instead of nice mountains.

-> Moved to Off Topic

The actual quality tests require laboratory sampling with microbial growth (seen the petry dishes couple times).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Off Topic

The actual quality tests require laboratory sampling with microbial growth (seen the petry dishes couple times).

Well, if you could accurately measure particles in suspension, you could more or less tell if its filtering stuff properly compared to not having the purifier activated. This guy does a test with some sort of device: