Anti static and AM4 CPU installation tips?

Xarai

So I have all my parts for my first PC build. I'm going to start building next week maybe. I'm kinda nervous about the whole static thing even tho I'm planning to buy an anti static bracelet. Also don't wanna mess up the AM4 CPU installation process. I would grealty appreciate some tips on both of these things. 

dont worry too much about static just tap your plugged in but powered off power supply chasis.

If you judge a fish based on its ability to climb trees it will go its whole life thinking its a failure.

Don't be nervous, AM4 is one of the easiest sockets to install. All you need to do is pull back the retention arm, line up the gold corner to the dot on the motherboard, gently drop it in, and put the retention arm back in place. As for anti-static, follow the same steps Linus does in the POV build guide video. Start your build by opening up the power supply, and plug it in. Make sure the switch is in the off position, then clip the anti-static wristband to any metal bit, like the grill of the fan. That should ensure that you don't have any problems with static. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

For static, bare foot on non-textile surface (no carpets)

Occasionally touch a big piece of metal

For CPU, grip it on its sides and don't drop it

If you ever need to remove the heatsink, twist and tilt the heatsink before pulling up, make sure your CPU is unstuck from the bottom first before you lift the cooler up

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

As someone who recently built their first pc using am4, it is surprisingly easy. it is scary, but just follow a build guide and  you will be fine. For static you can plug in the power supply, but do not flip the switch on, and touch that to release static. Just make sure to watch some build guides and look at the motherboard manual. You got this :)

1 hour ago, Matty2048 said:

dont worry too much about static just tap your plugged in but powered off power supply chasis.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, bellabichon said:

Don't be nervous, AM4 is one of the easiest sockets to install. All you need to do is pull back the retention arm, line up the gold corner to the dot on the motherboard, gently drop it in, and put the retention arm back in place. As for anti-static, follow the same steps Linus does in the POV build guide video. Start your build by opening up the power supply, and plug it in. Make sure the switch is in the off position, then clip the anti-static wristband to any metal bit, like the grill of the fan. That should ensure that you don't have any problems with static. 

Thanks! 

50 minutes ago, Hackerman25 said:

As someone who recently built their first pc using am4, it is surprisingly easy. it is scary, but just follow a build guide and  you will be fine. For static you can plug in the power supply, but do not flip the switch on, and touch that to release static. Just make sure to watch some build guides and look at the motherboard manual. You got this :)

Thanks for the encouragement, I need it lol

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

For static, bare foot on non-textile surface (no carpets)

shoes are better, they usually have a non conductive sole so that you won't absorb any static from the floor.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Just now, Letgomyleghoe said:

shoes are better, they usually have a non conductive sole so that you won't absorb any static from the floor.

The whole bare foot on non-textile floor is so that you're grounded all the time

Shoes would prevent any charges from discharging

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

The whole bare foot on non-textile floor is so that you're grounded all the time

Shoes would prevent any charges from discharging

but most flooring isn't grounded or even conductive. wood, linoleum, tile, etc isn't conductive and even if you have a metal or conductive flooring it's most likely not grounded.

AMD blackout rig

6 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

but most flooring isn't grounded or even conductive. wood, linoleum, tile, etc isn't conductive and even if you have a metal or conductive flooring it's most likely not grounded.

It's a large enough body to act as a ground

That's why large metal objects also works as ground

Also never work on high voltage without shoes on for the same reason

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

It's a large enough body to act as a ground

That's why large metal objects also works as ground

they don't though, I don't think you understand how grounding works. Grounding is literally what it means, it needs to be in contact with the ground, large objects aren't just grounds. 

you need to be able to discharge the charge, into the ground, anything that is not conductive like flooring cannot be a grounded.

https://www.dfliq.net/blog/understanding-electrical-grounding/#:~:text=Electrical grounding is a backup,and appliances in your home.

AMD blackout rig

6 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

they don't though, I don't think you understand how grounding works. Grounding is literally what it means, it needs to be in contact with the ground, large objects aren't just grounds. 

you need to be able to discharge the charge, into the ground, anything that is not conductive cannot be a ground.

https://www.dfliq.net/blog/understanding-electrical-grounding/#:~:text=Electrical grounding is a backup,and appliances in your home.

Aight, the safest assumption is to ground yourself occasionally through the PSU that is plugged in

Standing bare feet on non textile surface may not ground you sufficiently