Is my 8pin CPU power connector bottlenecking?

So i just got my hands on a nice 5900x and a fairly good board. (asus b550-f).

I installed a beefy aio setup (arctic freezer push-pull with 6 fans as intake) (room temp is really cold where i live).

Since i didn't have a sleeved 4pin cpu cable i ONLY connected the 8pin for the cpu.

When idling the cpu clocks to goddamn 4.55ghz. Wtf.

When gaming it stays at 4.55 ghz, when rendering (100% on all cores) it drops to 4.3

It runs fairly cold at 50-60°C while gaming and 70°C on all-core load.

Now i am wondering whether i could push it even higher by getting a 4pin cpu cable to saturate all 12 pins. What do you think? Is the cpu power really the bottleneck, or is the cpu?

open ryzen master and monitor the wattage of the cpu while your either doing benchmarking or some other task, thats really the easiest way to tell if its getting throttled by not getting enough power.

if it feels like its locking at 150w or some other wattage then you will know.

2 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

open ryzen master and monitor the wattage of the cpu while your either doing benchmarking or some other task, thats really the easiest way to tell if its getting throttled by not getting enough power.

if it feels like its locking at 150w or some other wattage then you will know.

140W according to "Core Temp".

But only on all-core loads. They may explain the drop to 4.3, right?

But when idling it sits at 80, according to "Core Temp". Will check, with ryzen master aswell.

3 minutes ago, Allptraum1989 said:

They may explain the drop to 4.3, right?

whats stable for a regular gaming clock will most likely not be as stable if your doing an all core load.

for example, my older ryzen 5 2600 handles 4.2ghz in game perfectly fine, but if that clock doesnt drop down to 4.0ghz when i do an all core benchmark, my pc will almost most definitely crash, especially since the stock cooler cant handle higher voltages.

so what your cpu is most likely doing is underclocking during an all core load so it doesnt crash. (or so its more stable)

you can kind of put it in stages, when your browsing the web (doing a single core task) your cpu core(s) will be at 4.8ghz, when playing a game (using multiple cores) your core clock will drop down to 4.5ghz, and then when benchmarking the cpu (using all the cores) the clock will drop down to 4.3 ghz

if its not a power issue then thats my next best guess to your predicament