I've changed every single part and my PC still freezes

Murilo_A

(TL;DR at the bottom)

So, about 4.5 months ago, my PC started to freeze randomly. It doesn’t exactly freeze, it’s more of a soft lock, the mouse still moves, but different programs react differently. Here’s a detailed explanation of what happens:

The mouse will move normally, games will just freeze, Spotify stops playing, if I’m watching a livestream on Twitch it will freeze, but chat sometimes can still go on for some time before completely freezing, YouTube usually freezes the audio, and two or three seconds after, the video also freezes and the loading circle appears. Trying to open the start menu, the Windows icon turns blue and gets stuck that color, but it doesn’t open. Sometimes I manage to open task manager, but it takes at least 5 seconds to load, and the values don’t update, everything just stays at one value, I also sometimes get weird readings like -1% GPU Usage. Also, whenever I right click to show a context menu, it shows the menu, and when I click an option, the menu disappears but the option I click stays on the screen. If I click the power button, the HD/SSD light briefly lights up and goes off. The only way to get out of this state is forcing a shutdown.

Long time ago, I’ve had a HD with a faulty SATA port, and I would get similar behavior, so I assumed my SSD was facing the same problem. I enabled SATA Hot Plug, the theory being that if the SSD was getting disconnected, it would be able to recover. And it worked, sometimes the program I was using would crash or something like that, but the computer would continue to run normally. But after some time, this didn’t matter, the complete lock ups came back, and I just lived with then.

This happened usually only once a day, and only after the PC had already been on for at least 4 hours. The only exception I can think of is the time I was playing a game, the PC had been on for less than 2 hours probably, and it crashed, and after restarting it, it crashed just a few minutes later.

My original hardware config was this:

i5 4460
Asus B85M-E
8GB 1600MHz G.Skill
Asus GTX 1060 6GB
Kingston V300 240GB SSD
2x WD 1TB HDs
Corsair CX550
I also use the H500i hub to control my fans

A few days back, I ordered new parts, more specifically:

Ryzen 5 3600X
Asus B550M-Plus
16GB 3000MHz Corsair
WD Black 500GB

The last part arrived last monday, and I built everything the same day, I used it fine on Monday and tuesday, but on wednesday it crashed again, same behavior, same conditions. On friday though, things got worse, it crashed 4 times, all of them after the system was on only for around 2-3 hours. So I decided to start changing the other parts to see what could be the problem. Note: I was still using my old SSD, but it only had a few games, Windows was on my new SSD.

First I changed the GPU to a GTX 750Ti, still crashed after about 2 hours. So I removed the old SSD and both of the HDs, leaving with only my new SSD, crashed after about 3 hours (Note: I had to reinstall Windows, because apparently Windows Boot Manager was on an old HD, and it didn’t install the boot partitions on my new SSD, so in order to boot from my SSD, I had to reinstall Windows, which means that when it crashed this time, I had very few software installed). And then I changed my PSU to an old Cougar ST Plus 500, and it kept running fine, without any problems for about 20 hours. And then it froze again.

Note: Windows Event Viewer only shows “The shutdown of the system that happened at (time) was not expected.”, every time I’ve looked at it, it didn’t log anything prior to that.

Sorry for the extraordinary long text, but I had to give as many details as possible to see if anyone can help me with this issue, I’m completely out of ideas, and don’t see anything else that could be causing this.

TL;DR: My PC has been acting weird for 4.5 months, it soft locks in a way that most programs stop working or work very weirdly, but my mouse still moves and some stuff kinda works, I’ve seen similar behavior in HD with a faulty SATA port. I’ve changed basically every single part, and it’s still happening.

3 minutes ago, Atomic Explosion said:

It is your GPU

I've already tried another GPU, still got the same problem

I seem to have similar problems after upgrading my PC. The only thing I have figured out is that my PC goes into power throttle while it happens

8 minutes ago, Leogretor said:

I seem to have similar problems after upgrading my PC. The only thing I have figured out is that my PC goes into power throttle while it happens

Well, this only happened twice while gaming, and it wasn't a very heavy game, so that's likely not my case

have you tried changing sata cables? new ones?

that problem is really weird thinking it carried over to the new build with new hardware.

on my mind it would sata cables or psu not giving enough power to the drives.

3 minutes ago, rheyL said:

have you tried changing sata cables? new ones?

that problem is really weird thinking it carried over to the new build with new hardware.

on my mind it would sata cables or psu not giving enough power to the drives.

I tried exchanging the SSD cable with one of the HDs cable, but it didn't work. Also, my new SSD is M.2.

You should try a new quality brand PSU (buy - borrow one from a friend). What GPU are you using now? Ohhh and one more thing what keyboard - mouse are you using?

so cables are out, now try a new psu maybe borrow from a friend maybe getting an 80+ ones.