LTT store checkout complaint

turgsh01

Could you please not be sneaky with your LTT store product pricing? I added your desk mat to cart, then I entered my PayPal info and PayPal confirmed about 40 CAD, then suddenly the shipping costs showed up in to the equation which is not entirely a surprise given that the site only just got my address after entering my PayPal info (although it could have just asked for my Postal Code or something for an estimated shipping cost). Anyway, I confirmed that, and then a tax cost snuck in out of nowhere which I only noticed because I always take my time at stuff like that (which is why I still can't get my hands on an RTX card even though I've been trying since the very beginning). Anyway, it just feels manipulative even if you're not doing it on purpose. It's bad enough to have pricing in USD which makes the product look a lot less expensive than it actually is (since it doesn't even show the CAD conversion after knowing I'm Canadian), but to sneak in all the other costs on top at the last minute when you're basically already committed... not cool. I feel like I paid twice the price for it, which technically, I sort of did since the product is 30 USD and by the end of it, I paid 61.71 CAD for it. Had I not been paying close attention, I wouldn't have known this.

There are much better ways to handle the checkout than that and I hope LTT takes this into consideration after reading this.

Ok so you entered your information and then the site updated the price to reflect the total amount. I see no issue. As a fellow Canadian I agree it would be nice to have a way to do the conversion to CAD on the site but since its not there I just open a second window and google it. Not a big a deal. Lots of smaller stores work exactly the same as LTT Store. I gotta be honest, your post comes off as complaining for the sake of complaining.

1 hour ago, Ravendarat said:

Ok so you entered your information and then the site updated the price to reflect the total amount. I see no issue. As a fellow Canadian I agree it would be nice to have a way to do the conversion to CAD on the site but since its not there I just open a second window and google it. Not a big a deal. Lots of smaller stores work exactly the same as LTT Store. I gotta be honest, your post comes off as complaining for the sake of complaining.

My problem is that the price changed on me a total of 3 times (twice on site + 1 PayPal), and at the end of it, I still didn't really know how much I paid for the product until I saw my PayPal email invoice showing the total in Canadian dollars. In fact, not showing the conversion is only a minor gripe (even though they could easily fix that), it's the price changing multiple times without even so much as a proper head's up that it's doing it... that's the real issue here.

Not everyone in the world just throws their money around blindly. I am not complaining for the sake of complaining. This is an actual issue that should not exist and in fact, I have not seen this issue before despite having made thousands of online purchases over the 15 or so years that I've been doing it. I want to know what I'm paying without having to figure it out after I'm already committed into it.

So you seem to be complaining that you:

1. Went to checkout with a product in your cart

2. Had shipping calculated and added after you've submitted your address

3. Had taxes calculated and added after totalling your product plus shipping

So unless I'm missing something...you're complaining about the standard checkout procedure for basically everyone, especially for relatively small stores like this. lol

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Yeah man, it's pathetic that the company didn't know all this information before you even got to the store. You would think that modern data collection would be better than this. 

$30USD = $38.30CAD as of today's exchange rate.

$61.71CAD = $48.34USD as of today's exchange rate.

If I remember correctly I paid all of the following; Shipping, Sales tax and Customs Charge to have my water bottle sent to the US. I paid more than you did.

The check-out was laid out pretty well and all information was pretty clearly explained at each step. I must be missing something, that, or you do not pay much attention to what you do or are not familiar with the online purchase experience.

Now I am not intentionally demeaning you here but you do need to know that if you have any official complaints you need to direct those complaint to the LTTStore.com as the forum does not have any direct affiliation or direct interaction with the LTT Store.

The only feed-back you will give or get wont be seen by the LTT Store, fyi.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

30 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Now I am not intentionally demeaning you here but you do need to know that if you have any official complaints you need to direct those complaint to the LTTStore.com as the forum does not have any direct affiliation or direct interaction with the LTT Store.

The only feed-back you will give or get wont be seen by the LTT Store, fyi.

This is about the only valuable information anyone has said here. Thanks for that. Although I do find it weird that LTT forums and LTT store are not affiliated in any way with each other. Reminds me of corporations. One hand not talking to the other.

The rest of what was said by everyone here was without a doubt demeaning and arrogant. To assume I don't know what I'm talking about, even after stating my 15+ years of online shopping experiences and the fact that I described everything in detail and somehow things still got misunderstood,... unbelievable.

1 hour ago, turgsh01 said:

This is about the only valuable information anyone has said here. Thanks for that. Although I do find it weird that LTT forums and LTT store are not affiliated in any way with each other. Reminds me of corporations. One hand not talking to the other.

The rest of what was said by everyone here was without a doubt demeaning and arrogant. To assume I don't know what I'm talking about, even after stating my 15+ years of online shopping experiences and the fact that I described everything in detail and somehow things still got misunderstood,... unbelievable.

The LTT Forum is not run by LMG Employee's, we are an all volunteer group/ staff. The Forum is owned by Linus [LMG] but the affiliation only goes as far as the ownership and name. This is a very common and mis-understood thing we have to clear up every so often.

I cannot say how the store is run but iirc its a partnership thingy, they supply and ship the products under the LMG name but are independent of LMG. This is not unusual for this type of thing as it is very common for most YT channels and their merchandise to be supplied by 3rd party. Pricing, shipping the website is run by and maintained by the 3rd party but of LMG has influence of what is made made available and such. For more info you might want to contact LMG directly, as far as I know LMG is pretty transparent about this stuff.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 hours ago, turgsh01 said:

As a Canadian you should know that tax is not included in the sticker price, especially with online stores, since it varies province to province. It would be impossible to have an accurate price until after you input a shipping address. 

8 hours ago, turgsh01 said:

15+ years of online shopping and you don't understand the extremely simple fact that shipping is calculated at checkout after you give your address and that taxes are calculated based on a total of your product(s) plus shipping...unbelievable.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Not sneaky, standard for most eCommerce platforms.

1. Add $10 item to cart.

2. Cart shows $10 subtotal (there are some platforms that assume a tax immediately on the subtotal, or if they're a store that offers pickup, but they are not as common).

3. When address is updated, shipping quotes are listed.

4. Customer selects shipping option.

5. Subtotal is added to shipping price, calculates the taxes, resulting in a final total price.

8 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

15+ years of online shopping and you don't understand the extremely simple fact that shipping is calculated at checkout after you give your address and that taxes are calculated based on a total of your product(s) plus shipping...

This isn't 100% correct. While, obviously, shipping costs (unless free or flat rate) will be calculated after knowing the destination address, this doesn't happen at the same stage of the purchase process in all stores. Moreover, the "tax addition" is very country-specific, as in many countries the displayed price already includes all relevant taxes, so such a step doesn't even exist.

So, saying "it's the way every online store does it" is bending the facts a bit. I have shopped in many, many different websites and I've seen it all: places that asks all possible personal information before letting you proceed to the first checkout step, sites that let you see shipping costs to your area directly from the product page, before even adding it to your cart, sites that ask for address and any other cost-relevant information before asking for payment method and data, and sites that do the opposite. So no, there isn't such as thing as "the one procedure" for checkouts.

As a consumer, while I don't feel it "manipulative", I do agree with OP in terms of preference: I tend to prefer those sites that gives you the end amount before asking for payment data, and I prefer sites that allow you to see the total amount as early, and in as few steps as possible. What is "as few as possible" will change depending on circumstances (e.g., having to deal with the absurdities of the US tax system :)), and depending on who's handling their store's backend, LMG may not have a way to streamline its checkout process for its worldwide audience. That doesn't mean that the way they may be forced to do things it's the only one, the best one, nor the preferred by customers.

18 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

This isn't 100% correct. While, obviously, shipping costs (unless free or flat rate) will be calculated after knowing the destination address, this doesn't happen at the same stage of the purchase process in all stores. Moreover, the "tax addition" is very country-specific, as in many countries the displayed price already includes all relevant taxes, so such a step doesn't even exist.

So, saying "it's the way every online store does it" is bending the facts a bit. I have shopped in many, many different websites and I've seen it all: places that asks all possible personal information before letting you proceed to the first checkout step, sites that let you see shipping costs to your area directly from the product page, before even adding it to your cart, sites that ask for address and any other cost-relevant information before asking for payment method and data, and sites that do the opposite. So no, there isn't such as thing as "the one procedure" for checkouts.

As a consumer, while I don't feel it "manipulative", I do agree with OP in terms of preference: I tend to prefer those sites that gives you the end amount before asking for payment data, and I prefer sites that allow you to see the total amount as early, and in as few steps as possible. What is "as few as possible" will change depending on circumstances (e.g., having to deal with the absurdities of the US tax system :)), and depending on who's handling their store's backend, LMG may not have a way to streamline its checkout process for its worldwide audience. That doesn't mean that the way they may be forced to do things it's the only one, the best one, nor the preferred by customers.

OP is in Canada. The process I mentioned is the standard here.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

39 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Damn, you really don't like when people challenge what you say instead of blindly parroting your opinions. I'd love to hear an actual response since you're clearly so smart :)

There's a massive difference between challenging someone and being demeaning. If you weren't so full of yourself, you'd see why I'm so upset about the outcome of this topic.

Retailer be like.

BY8K.gif.2b8a848086a153ce25f5712e4398710e.gif

14 minutes ago, turgsh01 said:

There's a massive difference between challenging someone and being demeaning. If you weren't so full of yourself, you'd see why I'm so upset about the outcome of this topic.

There is also a difference between constructive feedback and the accusatory tone that you wrote the initial post. That is why people reacted the way they did. For better or worse, people who frequent the forum obviously respect and dare I say love ltt and the brand, so when someone comes here (especially with a low post count) and starts throwing accusations, threads don't go well. 

You lost me when you added something to the cart and not idk what your problem is. 

Taxes?

Shipping costs money?

-= Topic Locked =-

Topic has become toxic, no need for this behavior.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER