Workers riot at Wistron iPhone plant in India over shorted pay

Shakymango

Summary

Employees in an iPhone production facility in India became violent on Saturday, over claims workers are not being paid what they were allegedly promised by Apple assembly partner Wistron. 

Quotes

One staff member alleged an engineering graduate was promised Rs 21,000 ($285) per month, but instead had Rs 16,000 ($217) at first, which then reduced down to Rs 12,000 ($163) in the last three months.

Other employees allegedly had it worse, with one non-engineering graduate's salary cut down to Rs 8,000 ($108), and some claiming to have been paid as little as Rs 500 ($6.78).

My thoughts

Frankly there isn't much difference between Chinese and Indian factories. People with power and money will continue to treat others like trash. Due to overpopulation and corrupt system, human right mean basically nothing (source: i'm indian). Apple better tighten up those regulations about human rights on India factories or its going to be the same situation as china.

Sources

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/12/12/worker-violence-at-wistron-iphone-plant-in-india-caused-by-low-pay-claims

Nah Chinese ones have improved drastically. There are now many more rules now in place. People with money and power treats everyone else like trash everywhere not just India.

Just now, lostcattears said:

Nah Chinese ones have improved drastically. There are now many more rules now in place. People with money and power treats everyone else like trash everywhere not just India.

That's the damn truth. >_>

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Imagine working a full month, for less than $7. I'd be PISSED.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Yep expensive Apple devices totally justified. Thanks for suppprting that company, the lord smiles upon you.

Was waiting for someone to imply this was somehow unique to Apple. You're probably using devices made in similar or worse conditions, just without the scrutiny that Apple often faces.

35 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Yep expensive Apple devices totally justified. Thanks for suppprting that company, the lord smiles upon you.

Oh man it's like Nvidia, AMD, and Microsoft products all come from some free-range organic manufacturing plant where workers are paid just as much as their white collared counterparts... 

Apple is just the tip of the iceberg. Look at the textiles industry. Not only are workers treated like crap, the communities they live in are being destroyed. Toxic waste just dumped into local rivers where residents drink from. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Hey I remember this with foxconn years ago.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Unfortunate, however I think it's very important to point out that this wasn't likely know to Apple, and it isn't caused by them directly. It's nice to think that in an instant Apple can just flick their fingers and everything will be the way it's supposed to be, but that simply isn't the case. Resolving issues like this take time. While I understand being upset, the fact that they destroyed the place they worked at isn't the smartest move. Now not only do they not get paid what they were entitled (which could have been sorted out), they no longer have employment at all.

27 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

I ask Apple to pass down the benefit of cheap labor. Is that fair? It'd be nice if you could answer to the point. 

Apple invests a ton of it's revenue into R&D, and they have rather high overhead. They also want their products to be seen as a premium offering, so they price them as such.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Do we know if the pay differences is due to income tax or not? Anyone know?

In some countries what people consider salary is their take home pay not pretax income. Just curious, I’m not saying that’s what happened here. It’s unacceptable for them to underpay people.

And this is why companies are moving away from China to the places like India and Southeast Asia, labor is cheaper. It sucks for sure, but it's really hard to do something about it since the governments want the jobs, companies want the cheap labour and consumers want the cheap goods.

8 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Yep. The pricing is. And it isn't implied

I ask Apple to pass down the benefit of cheap labor. Is that fair? It'd be nice if you could answer to the point. 

I'd rather it use its resources to improve that labour, which it typically has been within its powers (see its recent penalty against Pegatron as an example).

The disconcerting implication here is that you're happy with poor pay so long as that's passed on through the price of the devices. And, for that matter, that you're alright knowing that your non-Apple brands are typically less transparent and accountable about their labour practices.

18 hours ago, Shakymango said:

Summary

Employees in an iPhone production facility in India became violent on Saturday, over claims workers are not being paid what they were allegedly promised by Apple assembly partner Wistron. 

Quotes

My thoughts

Frankly there isn't much difference between Chinese and Indian factories. People with power and money will continue to treat others like trash. Due to overpopulation and corrupt system, human right mean basically nothing (source: i'm indian). Apple better tighten up those regulations about human rights on India factories or its going to be the same situation as china.

Sources

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/12/12/worker-violence-at-wistron-iphone-plant-in-india-caused-by-low-pay-claims

Lol, I'm from Bangalore and it is just a Communist Union thing. Lesser than 5% of the employees rioted. Don't worry, The production will start again from Monday. They are just having some plan in their mind. Today the union issue is sorted out and they showed the proofs that they were underpaid(due to taking holidays even though instructed to come) and as Wistron has some documents to prove that, the issue was sorted by the local police. 

-= Topic Moved to Off-Topic =-

Topic does not meet the definition of Tech News.

-= Topic locked =-

Topic has devolved off topic into political and cultural bickering.

From what I read in the OP this topic is a fine line for flame bait and forum disruption. 

I see no need to unlock this for further discourse.

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 2 weeks later...

Summary

12/12/2020 - Workers riot at the Wistron iPhone plant in India over poor and decreasing wages

Quotes

Sources told the report the unrest was caused through the workers not receiving the full pay they were told they would be receiving at the time of joining the company. One staff member alleged an engineering graduate was promised Rs 21,000 ($285) per month, but instead had Rs 16,000 ($217) at first, which then reduced down to Rs 12,000 ($163) in the last three months.

My thoughts

Louis Rossmann brought this to my attention with his YT video titled "Apple slaves REVOLT, destroy factory over $7/month pay".   The $7 a month is the most egregious example but the whole situation embodies one of the problems with current globalization strategies, and perhaps our own indifference to problems of people far away from us. 

It does look like Apple has responded in this instance, saying they're not going to do any new business with them; I'll include an article about that as well

I'd like to hear about this on the WAN show, personally.

Sources

Louis Rossmann's Video:

AppleInsider article:

Apple's Response:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/apple-says-no-new-business-for-supplier-wistron-after-karnataka-plant-violence/articleshow/79812379.cms