Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i need thoughts about this cpu, the i7-5960x

i was searching ebay one day and i see the i7- 5960x for a $150, i check another listing, they are all the buy it now and most of them free shiping, and i found a passmark benchmark, and the 8th gen i5 is surpassed by the i7-5960x, and the motherboard is only $200 for a 8 slot, ddr3 compatible, i think its a snag tbh

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shimejii said:

5960x is a DDR4 chip, and the x99 boards are super expensive and not worth it lol

i think it is, the 10 cores of the $100 more 6960x that has a newer kaby lake and 2 more cores

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ComputerBuilder said:

i think it is, the 10 cores of the $100 more 6960x that has a newer kaby lake and 2 more cores

be my guest. a 3700x on a b550 board will beat it in every task :P I have a 3800x and had a 5920k and it does better, 5960x was only a step up but really has never been worth the price due to the board price. x99 has been so expensive ;..;

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shimejii said:

be my guest. a 3700x on a b550 board will beat it in every task :P I have a 3800x and had a 5920k and it does better, 5960x was only a step up but really has never been worth the price due to the board price. x99 has been so expensive ;..;

i am buying a ryzen 5 3600 parts for christmas i was just wondering what to use this atx case on, since my first build the itx b550 with ryzen 5 3600, so i have a random case, so i will want to kinda retro it for my brother, he does not demand more than 1080p tbh

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ComputerBuilder said:

i am buying a ryzen 5 3600 parts for christmas i was just wondering what to use this atx case on, since my first build the itx b550 with ryzen 5 3600, so i have a random case, so i will want to kinda retro it for my brother, he does not demand more than 1080p tbh

1080p vs 4K is about gpu not cpu. If you want high framerates, you need a fast cpu. That sounds a bit expensive kit of old hardware when you can get 10600KF and a motherboard for the same money and 10600KF will usually hit at least 5GHz all core oc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jeppes said:

1080p vs 4K is about gpu not cpu. If you want high framerates, you need a fast cpu. That sounds a bit expensive kit of old hardware when you can get 10600KF and a motherboard for the same money and 10600KF will usually hit at least 5GHz all core oc.

see the thing is that epople have been able to overclock the $150 5960x to 4.5ghz, so um it will suit my needs because my brother also needs to do school on the dam thing, like alot of design and school

Link to post
Share on other sites

ironically, Haswell CPUs are just as expensive. 

Used hardware is all overpriced right now. Even GPUs are getting expensive just because you flat out can't buy new ones right now so people know they can charge a premium.

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

Link to post
Share on other sites

ok do u hear me i7-5960 extreme edition 8 core, iverclockable to about 4ghz at least, i dont want to spend $200 on a i5 8th gen that is useless at any multicore task, 

10 minutes ago, Eastman51 said:

ironically, Haswell CPUs are just as expensive. 

Used hardware is all overpriced right now. Even GPUs are getting expensive just because you flat out can't buy new ones right now so people know they can charge a premium.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Eastman51 said:

ironically, Haswell CPUs are just as expensive. 

Used hardware is all overpriced right now. Even GPUs are getting expensive just because you flat out can't buy new ones right now so people know they can charge a premium.

i7-5960x, $150, isnt that a deal

Link to post
Share on other sites

plus my last pc as a i7-2600s and a gt 630, im getting my ryzen, but my brother needs a pc too. he literally just needs 60fps, or even 50fps 1080p, 60hz or 120hz

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ComputerBuilder said:

i7-5960x, $150, isnt that a deal

150$ for a six year old 8-core that needs near extreme cooling to hit that 4,5GHz if even possible and needs a used 200$ motherboard. What a steal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

$200 for a 5 year old motherboard is absolutely dumb. 

Compared to other CPUs, $150 isn't a bad price; but when you look at the rest, its not worth it in the slightest.

1 minute ago, ComputerBuilder said:

plus my last pc as a i7-2600s and a gt 630, im getting my ryzen, but my brother needs a pc too. he literally just needs 60fps, or even 50fps 1080p, 60hz or 120hz

then why not get an ebay GPU and hand him the i7-2600 system? you could use the $150 to get a pretty solid GPU. The 2600 can still do solid frame rates at 1080p with a good GPU. The system you have is free LOL

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jeppes said:

150$ for a six year old 8-core that needs near extreme cooling to hit that 4,5GHz if even possible and needs a used 200$ motherboard. What a steal.

the thing is that, i have a $200 motherboard to seel, soooooooo yea

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eastman51 said:

$200 for a 5 year old motherboard is absolutely dumb. 

Compared to other CPUs, $150 isn't a bad price; but when you look at the rest, its not worth it in the slightest.

then why not get an ebay GPU and hand him the i7-2600 system? you could use the $150 to get a pretty solid GPU. The 2600 can still do solid frame rates at 1080p with a good GPU. The system you have is free LOL

see theres the problem, long story short it dissapeared from under my desk one morning, why i need a pc desperetly

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ComputerBuilder said:

the thing is that, i have a $200 motherboard to seel, soooooooo yea

Sell it for 200$ then while it still has value :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

tbh the motherboard im looking at might drop prices, i havent rly looked at other motherboards

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ComputerBuilder said:

see theres the problem, long story short it dissapeared from under my desk one morning, why i need a pc desperetly

Ok........lol

 

Desperate doesn't mean you should make poor financial choices. You could also get your brother some older Ryzen; probably for barely more (if not less) than the cost of the 5960x, some RAM, and its motherboard alone.

 

Your brother just wants a working gaming system for 1080p and a working system for school and whatnot right? He certainly doesn't need an overclocked 5-6 year old system that was purchased for far more than its truly worth. I'm sure he'd be grateful if you got him literally anything that does what he wants; may as well spend as little as you can to accomplish that.

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Eastman51 said:

Ok........lol

 

Desperate doesn't mean you should make poor financial choices. You could also get your brother some older Ryzen; probably for barely more (if not less) than the cost of the 5960x, some RAM, and its motherboard alone.

 

Your brother just wants a working gaming system for 1080p and a working system for school and whatnot right? He certainly doesn't need an overclocked 5-6 year old system that was purchased for far more than its truly worth. I'm sure he'd be grateful if you got him literally anything that does what he wants; may as well spend as little as you can to accomplish that.

see ye, i also want the pc to actually last, and i just looked at the i7-7820x, for some dam reason its $220

Link to post
Share on other sites

that's an even worse idea.....

A 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen will last plenty enough. Used Intel CPUs and their motherboards are exceptionally overpriced right now, and have been for over a year.

smh my head

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eastman51 said:

that's an even worse idea.....

A 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen will last plenty enough. Used Intel CPUs and their motherboards are exceptionally overpriced right now, and have been for over a year.

smh my head

i just wish that not evreyone is against it, its not like im gonna get a suer bad performance drop if i dont go for the 2nd gen ryzen and yes tbh 2nd gen ryzen is good, but i feel like a i7 extreme is ore optimised for high performance

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ComputerBuilder said:

i just wish that not evreyone is against it, its not like im gonna get a suer bad performance drop if i dont go for the 2nd gen ryzen and yes tbh 2nd gen ryzen is good, but i feel like a i7 extreme is ore optimised for high performance

Ironically, the i7 is barely any faster than a Ryzen 5 2600. The only reason its faster is that it has more cores and threads. In single thread, performance is identical. 

You'd be spending more money for something with little gain and dramatically increased power consumption.

Looking at eBay, you can legitimately find a Ryzen + motherboard + RAM combo for less than the cost of the 5960x (not including shipping). 
I don't understand your argument, at all. It makes absolutely no sense. The only thing I see here is "I want extreme edition because it sounds like its probably better than something not extreme edition"

 

Edit: at the end of the day, no one can stop you. If you really want that 5960x, then buy it. We're all just here trying to help you save a buck. You asked, we answered with our thoughts.

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eastman51 said:

Ironically, the i7 is barely any faster than a Ryzen 5 2600. The only reason its faster is that it has more cores and threads. In single thread, performance is identical. 

You'd be spending more money for something with little gain and dramatically increased power consumption.

Looking at eBay, you can legitimately find a Ryzen + motherboard + RAM combo for less than the cost of the 5960x (not including shipping). 
I don't understand your argument, at all. It makes absolutely no sense. The only thing I see here is "I want extreme edition because it sounds like its probably better than something not extreme edition"

i dont want it because of the "extreme", this also could go down to my dad when i get a upgrae and my brother does, and all he does is design, and alot of documentss and stuff, so usaully on his 32gb ram from work hes using 11gb average or more, when i have his apps open and minecraft, it uses 16.4gb or 15. so i rly just want a cheap 8 or 10 core machine that can do multicore tasks, and is somewhat modern, thats why kaby lake x and haswell e fit that

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eastman51 said:

Ironically, the i7 is barely any faster than a Ryzen 5 2600. The only reason its faster is that it has more cores and threads. In single thread, performance is identical. 

You'd be spending more money for something with little gain and dramatically increased power consumption.

Looking at eBay, you can legitimately find a Ryzen + motherboard + RAM combo for less than the cost of the 5960x (not including shipping). 
I don't understand your argument, at all. It makes absolutely no sense. The only thing I see here is "I want extreme edition because it sounds like its probably better than something not extreme edition"

he uses a laptop from work, 32gb ram and a i7-8th gen "u", so he practicly needs the cpu to work on design and documents and other stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ComputerBuilder said:

i dont want it because of the "extreme", this also could go down to my dad when i get a upgrae and my brother does, and all he does is design, and alot of documentss and stuff, so usaully on his 32gb ram from work hes using 11gb average or more, when i have his apps open and minecraft, it uses 16.4gb or 15. so i rly just want a cheap 8 or 10 core machine that can do multicore tasks, and is somewhat modern, thats why kaby lake x and haswell e fit that

DDR4 is cheaper than DDR3. 

Any Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 will be significantly better value, and overall MUCH cheaper. The performance difference on Ryzen compared to Kaby Lake and Haswell E is basically nil. Your argument holds zero weight. Ryzen 7s are 8 core CPUs, and are significantly more modern; Ryzen 5s are 6 core yes, but they have 12 threads, so you still essentially get the performance of an older 8 core. 

 

As I mentioned above in my edit, you can do whatever you want. I'm just saying you'd be wasting money since there are better options and better value deals out there. 

Also, talking to some friends, they have seen X99 boards for under $100 on Facebook Marketplace; so your $200 motherboard is outrageously overpriced.

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×