Shoot myself in my(video card) foot

urbancamper
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,

Linus had a lot to say about not being a fanboy for team red or team green.

But I feel that goes both ways. Don't necessarily hate on one company because of the most recent story that paints them in a bad light. AMD and Nvidia have a history of scummy business practices, but at the end of the day, if you're a gamer, you're gonna want one of their graphics cards.

Not to mention, there are much much larger ethical concerns with the nature of the modern gaming and electronics manufacturing, everything from ecological and sustainability concerns to socio-political concerns. It's not really a bad corporation as much as a rotten industry.

I watched the Wan Show tonight. It kind of got me worked up. As we all, or most of us anyway know. It is hard as heck getting a new graphics card these days. My budget is in the 3070 to 6800 range. Well I got really lucky and snagged an MSI 3070 from BestBuy. I am still waiting for it to arrive. I had hoped to get a 6800. Not because it's AMD but for the 16gb of memory. So I settled on a card from a company that has in the past left a sour taste in my mouth. I made a couple posts on it here somewhere. Anyway now after watching the latest Wan, I am thinking about canceling the order and just stick with the 5700xt mech oc which I absolutely hate. Though it does run well since after a month of arguing they finally sent me a replacement. It does run cyberpunk ok too. 

So here is the question I ask you. Would you keep the card or wait until things open up and get what you really wanted. 

AMD Ryzen 5800x | Corsair Pro 240 aio | Rog Strix B450-F Gaming | MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | 16gb gskill 3600 ddr4 | Crucial m2 3.0x4 1TB | Crucial ssd@1000,512, 275gb | Evga 1000w titanium | Case Fractal Define C Window |

Razer BlackWidow Lite Keyboard |  Steelseries Rival 600 mouse |  Steelseries Arctis 5-7.1 surround headset | Logitech - Z625 2.1 Speakers | Acer Predator X34 3440 x 1440 180 Hz G sync IPS Monitor

Linus had a lot to say about not being a fanboy for team red or team green.

But I feel that goes both ways. Don't necessarily hate on one company because of the most recent story that paints them in a bad light. AMD and Nvidia have a history of scummy business practices, but at the end of the day, if you're a gamer, you're gonna want one of their graphics cards.

Not to mention, there are much much larger ethical concerns with the nature of the modern gaming and electronics manufacturing, everything from ecological and sustainability concerns to socio-political concerns. It's not really a bad corporation as much as a rotten industry.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I'm not a fan boy I just don't like bullies. Especially billionaire bullies. Been dealing with one for quite while down here in the states. This is more about settling on a video card from a company I pretty much intensely dislike. Just because it was the only one I could get my hands on after several weeks of trying. I don't know maybe i should just on what I could find.

Thanks for the reply

AMD Ryzen 5800x | Corsair Pro 240 aio | Rog Strix B450-F Gaming | MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | 16gb gskill 3600 ddr4 | Crucial m2 3.0x4 1TB | Crucial ssd@1000,512, 275gb | Evga 1000w titanium | Case Fractal Define C Window |

Razer BlackWidow Lite Keyboard |  Steelseries Rival 600 mouse |  Steelseries Arctis 5-7.1 surround headset | Logitech - Z625 2.1 Speakers | Acer Predator X34 3440 x 1440 180 Hz G sync IPS Monitor

45 minutes ago, urbancamper said:

Though it does run well since after a month of arguing they finally sent me a replacement. It does run cyberpunk ok too. 

This is what I would focus on. Although, if you already managed to buy the 3070, it's worth thinking carefully what to do with it. You may be able to sell it for a profit. You may enjoy a demanding game to a higher level. And you may keep the money in your pocket and enjoy the fact that your current card alrady delivers what you want at no extra cost, if you decide you were just impulse-buying.

We don't have that many companies to choose from, so chances are you are buying hardware from pretty dubious companies anyway. This recent episode just sharpens the picture of companies who try by all means to influence the narrative and market us brainless. My take is: shut out the narrative, abstract from the message bombardment (which launch reviews done in good faith nevertheless contribute to) and the fact that these companies are pushing for what's best for them, and focus on what's best for you. Have this alone-with-yourself conversation about how happy your current stuff makes you, how much is the available improvement truly worth to you, and if this particular product is a satisfying investment for you (none of these cards are cheap), or whether you're better off holding out for a better opportunity. And if it's the best for you, go ahead with it.

Morals come down to each person. This is a personal decision that you need to make.

Personally, i just assume all companies are dick heads and buy the product that suits my needs at the cost i'm willing to pay irrespective of the company that makes it. It is so much less mentally draining than trying to figure out what every single company's morals are and whether or not i want to buy from them.

Remember, buying a product, doesn't mean you're supporting that company. And if anyone tries to make you feel bad for "supporting" a company purely because you bought from them, then they are dick heads as well.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You may be able to sell it for a profit.

This is the last thing I would do, as in not at all. I have pretty much decided to take delivery of the card. If I decide not to keep it I will sell it locally for exactly what I paid. I am not a scalper and consider these bot wheeling individuals no better then some punk steeling candy from a baby. With respect for these forums and the good people at Linus Media Group I keep from using much harsher language to your suggestion. 

we have a so called duopoly in the dGPU market, which means you have 3 options :

AMD 

NVIDIA 

NO GPU 

And the first two options are both kinda shit and the third leaves you with NO GPU. 🤷🏼

However preferring one over the other doesn't make you necessarily a "fanboy". 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, urbancamper said:

I watched the Wan Show tonight. It kind of got me worked up. As we all, or most of us anyway know. It is hard as heck getting a new graphics card these days. My budget is in the 3070 to 6800 range. Well I got really lucky and snagged an MSI 3070 from BestBuy. I am still waiting for it to arrive. I had hoped to get a 6800. Not because it's AMD but for the 16gb of memory. So I settled on a card from a company that has in the past left a sour taste in my mouth. I made a couple posts on it here somewhere. Anyway now after watching the latest Wan, I am thinking about canceling the order and just stick with the 5700xt mech oc which I absolutely hate. Though it does run well since after a month of arguing they finally sent me a replacement. It does run cyberpunk ok too. 

So here is the question I ask you. Would you keep the card or wait until things open up and get what you really wanted. 

Is this a f***ing troll?

Literally thousands of people cannot get a hold of these cards, and this guys pondering his spoilt self over cancelling the order he's lucky to get? 

Gettaddaahere. 

In fact please cancel and give that 3070 to someone who cares. Please.

5 hours ago, Amias said:

s this a f***ing troll?

As I stated earlier I had problems with MSI on my current card. I had to rma it and argued with them for a month before they finally conceded and agreed to send me another one. While the replacement card works fine it left me with a negative views of MSI. I am not saying all their products are bad. But my experience with their return department was horrendous. Of course hardware sometimes doesn't work and has to be returned or exchanged. In my over 20 years of building computers I guess I have been lucky that it has only happened 4 times. The other 3 time went smoothly.

Anyway after weeks of trying I was actually able to snag a 3070. It is an MSI RTX 3070 Ventus OC. Even though I swore to myself I would never buy another one of their products I did. As I previously said I realize that these cards are like unicorns. It is just leaving a bad taste in my mouth buying from a company I dislike. And yes, I know thousands of people have been trying to get these cards and I got lucky. Also I already decided to keep the card but most likely sell it for exactly the same price I paid locally.

Finally, you don't know me boy...I am 64 years old and have no time to troll tools like you or anyone else for that matter. As for being a spoiled(correct spelling)I am on an extremely  budget and it took me 4 months to save for this card. 

This was my post:

14 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

This is what I would focus on. Although, if you already managed to buy the 3070, it's worth thinking carefully what to do with it. You may be able to sell it for a profit. You may enjoy a demanding game to a higher level. And you may keep the money in your pocket and enjoy the fact that your current card alrady delivers what you want at no extra cost, if you decide you were just impulse-buying.

We don't have that many companies to choose from, so chances are you are buying hardware from pretty dubious companies anyway. This recent episode just sharpens the picture of companies who try by all means to influence the narrative and market us brainless. My take is: shut out the narrative, abstract from the message bombardment (which launch reviews done in good faith nevertheless contribute to) and the fact that these companies are pushing for what's best for them, and focus on what's best for you. Have this alone-with-yourself conversation about how happy your current stuff makes you, how much is the available improvement truly worth to you, and if this particular product is a satisfying investment for you (none of these cards are cheap), or whether you're better off holding out for a better opportunity. And if it's the best for you, go ahead with it.

This is what you call "my suggestion":

10 hours ago, urbancamper said:

You obviously have bigger problems than your graphics card.

-> Moved to Graphics Cards

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You may be able to sell it for a profit

3 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:
13 hours ago, urbancamper said:

You obviously have bigger problems than your graphics card

I never said that. What I did was quote you. I already said I decided to keep it though I may sell it to someone locally for exactly what I paid for it. 

I sold my 3070 and was lucky enough to get a 6800. To be honest I wasn’t impressed with DLSS and as we know ray tracing is just too much of a performance killer right now. 
Even though the 3070 and 6800 are pretty close in performance, I’m hoping that the extra VRAM will make a difference in upcoming games. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

Personally, I don't think 5700XT to 3070 is worth $500 in performance boosts. You're also still at 8GB of VRAM and CP2077 demonstrably hits a VRAM wall at 8GB when you crank it. I'd sell it or cancel the order and wait out for either a 3080 or 6800XT

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

You have all these issues with MSI and you bought one anyways? Could of saved yourself the trouble of posting all of this by not even buying the card to start with...

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

• 1 month later...

Late follow up. Since it is next to impossible to get a 3000 series card, I said screw it and kept it. It is a solid card. Sold the old 5700xt for 250 dollars. So it's kind of like getting the 3070 for 350 dollars. And that is a pretty good deal.

gratz on getting the graphics card at least 🙂 i'm still impatiently waiting in EVGA's queue system lol. could afford scalper prices...... don't want to support that bad habit though, it's a crappy thing to do. I know times are tough but screwing over people just makes them as bad as the "evil corporations" in the world so ya... but figured I'd at least congratulate you on catching your unicorn 🙂

They both have there pros and cons, Nvidia has better rtx support and dlss, and amd gives you more vram, I'm using a Nvidia gpu right now but might go with and next time because you have to make an online account for GeForce experience which is ridiculously uneccery, plus Nvidia have pretty much kept the vram the same for 3 generations now, I feel the new cards are too powerful for the amount of vram they get like it could bottleneck them in the future. Maybe they did this on purpose so everyone buys the rtx 4000 cards with double the vram. Might go with amd next time for these reasons, only reason I got the 2060 over the 5600xt is because rtx and the only game I'm exited about rtx for is Minecraft but it's taking forever to get fully released it's still pretty much in the beta phase. Considering how hard it is to get gpus now I would keep it.