ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO Q-Code 90, White LED On

Hi,

So I bought about 3 weeks ago a new gaming and productivity system. It worked fine until about 5 days ago when it just stopped working. I woke up in the morning and nothing.. The system was turning on but no post. I thought that mabe a CMOS clear will do it. Nothing... BIOS flash, RAM switching.. I tried everything.. still nothing.

Today I bought a RX 5600X and a ASUS ROG STRIX x570-f to see if the GPU or MBO was the problem. Still the same problem.. the fans ramp up when I power it and then slow down when the white LED turns on(VGA). Also on the other MBO the Q-Code was 90. I tried the other GPU on both MBO.. same thing as before.. I just don't understand what's going on.

Please help.

My System:

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X

MBO: ASUS ROG CROSHAIR VIII HERO and ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming

RAM: G.SKill Trident Z Nea CL16 3600 Mhz 64GB(4*16)

GPU: MSI Ventus 3X OC 3090 

Boot SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB

PSU: ASUS ROG STRIX 850W Gold+

Ok, first things first, I'm a little jealous of your CPU...

Were you trying to run that ram at 3600 mhz? 

Start eliminating obvious things
Make sure the screen works. (I know duh!)
Make sure the PSU works
Remove one all but stick of RAM (in slot #2)

Remove everything else.

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

45 minutes ago, Quickstrike said:

Ok, first things first, I'm a little jealous of your CPU...

Were you trying to run that ram at 3600 mhz? 

Start eliminating obvious things
Make sure the screen works. (I know duh!)
Make sure the PSU works
Remove one all but stick of RAM (in slot #2)

Remove everything else.

The screen works, PSU works, RAM works.. tried it one by one, other RAM too, and evertything else in the end.. NOTHING

1 hour ago, Sebilupu said:

The screen works, PSU works, RAM works.. tried it one by one, other RAM too, and evertything else in the end.. NOTHING

Time to RMA your mobo.
Sorry that happens with such an expensive board. The thing is, they don't make as many of them as other models. I try to stay at the high end without breaking the bank myself so I stay at ROG levels.

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -

33 minutes ago, Quickstrike said:

Time to RMA your mobo.
Sorry that happens with such an expensive board. The thing is, they don't make as many of them as other models. I try to stay at the high end without breaking the bank myself so I stay at ROG levels.

I tried the CPU on another mobo.. The CPU is fried too unfortunately. I have to return both my cpu and mobo, luckly they both are in warranty.

1 minute ago, Sebilupu said:

I tried the CPU on another mobo.. The CPU is fried too unfortunately. I have to return both my cpu and mobo, luckly they both are in warranty.

Did you tried another CPU on that Mobo? you might have just a bad chip.

Spoiler

Just now, Quickstrike said:

Altough that's admitedtly risquy

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Quickstrike said:

I didn't but I tried that chip on another mobo and it's the same freaking thing.. Soo.. yeah.. And I'm not willing to risk another CPU just to test the mobo.. that's ASUS's job with their money

Hi. Just some quick info about code 90.

Its BDS initializing. (Boot Device Selection)

Has nothing to do with a video card or cpu.

I'd say chances are the cpu is fine, the other testing board may not have had the agesa to support the cpu or it was hot swapped withoutout a good clear cmos. (Just guessing).

I would pull the drives (all), clear cmos real good and try to post without any SSDs or HDDs and see what kind of reaction the board gives.

17 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Hi. Just some quick info about code 90.

Its BDS initializing. (Boot Device Selection)

Has nothing to do with a video card or cpu.

I'd say chances are the cpu is fine, the other testing board may not have had the agesa to support the cpu or it was hot swapped withoutout a good clear cmos. (Just guessing).

I would pull the drives (all), clear cmos real good and try to post without any SSDs or HDDs and see what kind of reaction the board gives.

So I tried that and knew that it was BDS. With no drives same thing.. the CPU is dead and my GPU is damaged as well.. ty ASUS for such a good top of the line mobo.. Won't buy another ASUS product ever

16 minutes ago, Sebilupu said:

So I tried that and knew that it was BDS. With no drives same thing.. the CPU is dead and my GPU is damaged as well.. ty ASUS for such a good top of the line mobo.. Won't buy another ASUS product ever

Yeah sounds pretty bad.

From what I read you have 2 dead boards and 2 dead cpus and a dead gpu. 

It's pretty rare to kill all that hardware like that. Sorry you're having such bad luck. 

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yeah sounds pretty bad.

From what I read you have 2 dead boards and 2 dead cpus and a dead gpu. 

It's pretty rare to kill all that hardware like that. Sorry you're having such bad luck. 

No no no, I have 1 dead CPU, 1 dead GPU and 1 mobo that killed them, and now I have my old system back and running

1 hour ago, Sebilupu said:

No no no, I have 1 dead CPU, 1 dead GPU and 1 mobo that killed them, and now I have my old system back and running

Oh, the first post, you bought a X570-F and a 5600X?

What is the "old" system then? 

What happened with the 5600X and 570-F? Do these work?

24 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Oh, the first post, you bought a X570-F and a 5600X?

What is the "old" system then? 

What happened with the 5600X and 570-F? Do these work?

Yeah yeah, those work, the ryzen 9 5950X and RTX 3090 were “destroyed” by the ROG Crosshair VIII hero

38 minutes ago, Sebilupu said:

Yeah yeah, those work, the ryzen 9 5950X and RTX 3090 were “destroyed” by the ROG Crosshair VIII hero

Man that's super rare. Generally a PSU takes out all the hardware, not the mainboard.

I hope you come back after the RMA and let us know it's all up and working. 

Good Luck!

• 8 months later...
On 12/12/2020 at 11:24 AM, Sebilupu said:

Hey there, how did it end up ?

Sorry but I think I'm in the same boat as you many months later.

Have a Asus Dark Hero with 5900x and a 6800XT.

Left the cpu idling couple of minutes, came back and the screen / mouse / keyboard was frozen. After restart, I never saw a post on that cpu again. Got a code-90 and a white LED light.

Bought a 5600x and B550-F Strix, and a friend lent an old GPU for testing....

The Dark Hero board is boosting to BIOS when using the 5600x AND the old GPU. If I try the 5900x with old gpu, no post, and same thing if I try the 5600x with the 6800XT.

It seems like the CPU & GPU are fried...... I don,t get it at all, such damage by a board ?

Now I will RMA everything, but I hope they won,t bring it back telling me the board is fine..... I Know i'ts working but it killed my components jesus.

Dunno if related but since couple of days prior my G.Skill ram set was not able to post at 3600 "stock" speed, I had to reduce it to 3200 for it to work properly.... maybe degradation in the CPU ? I don't even OC damn it...