PC crashed/rebooted when playing Cyberpunk 2077 (probably PC overheating?)

Hello. So like everyone today I have played Cyberpunk 2077 on my PC. But after an hour and a half of gaming my pc turned off and rebooted itself. Now I think that my PC overheated, because I had it running for almost the entire day (had classes in zoom, played rocket league with my friends and downloading Cyberpunk) and I noticed that my PC was blowing out quite hot air from the exhaust fan. My room was pretty warm at the time so that also didn't helped. After my PC rebooted itself I ran Cinebench, which when it ran my PC was making strange elecrical noise. After that I ran Cyberpunk again for a minute and my PC made similar noise. 

Now I think that my was overheating, but I'm not to sure. At the end I turned my PC off and waited about an hour for it to cool down and after turning it on it wouldn't post for some moments until it rebooted itself again and successfully booted windows. I again turned my PC back on and off but that time it booted fine. I would really like to hear from you guys. Also some information about my PC if it helps: ryzen 7 3700x with the stock cooler, asus evo dual rtx 2080 super and the tuf gt301 case that I use has 3 front fans and 1 exhaust fan on the back.

Thanks in advance for your help!

while running cinebench again, check your cpu/gpu temps. 

run windows memory diagnostics and see if that is a problem.

reinstall/update nvidia drivers.

update windows

8 minutes ago, RockiNeedsTechTipa said:

Hello. So like everyone today I have played Cyberpunk 2077 on my PC. But after an hour and a half of gaming my pc turned off and rebooted itself. Now I think that my PC overheated, because I had it running for almost the entire day (had classes in zoom, played rocket league with my friends and downloading Cyberpunk) and I noticed that my PC was blowing out quite hot air from the exhaust fan. My room was pretty warm at the time so that also didn't helped. After my PC rebooted itself I ran Cinebench, which when it ran my PC was making strange elecrical noise. After that I ran Cyberpunk again for a minute and my PC made similar noise. 

Now I think that my was overheating, but I'm not to sure. At the end I turned my PC off and waited about an hour for it to cool down and after turning it on it wouldn't post for some moments until it rebooted itself again and successfully booted windows. I again turned my PC back on and off but that time it booted fine. I would really like to hear from you guys. Also some information about my PC if it helps: ryzen 7 3700x with the stock cooler, asus evo dual rtx 2080 super and the tuf gt301 case that I use has 3 front fans and 1 exhaust fan on the back.

Thanks in advance for your help!

dude im literally running a 2080 super and my crashed too but no electrical sound or anything just insta crashed  i think its a game problem also my temps were great

I've watched and/or read 7 or 8 reviews of Cyberpunk and all mention the myriad bugs, crashes, freezes etc...so I wouldn't worry too much about any fundamental issues. 

It's a demanding game, isn't it - perhaps (one of?) THE most demanding game(s) ever made - so it might well be putting an unexpected strain on your components and driving the temps up.

SkillUp's review was done on a 3090 with a top end CPU and he still had tons of game breaking bugs and crashes, and was battling to keep things ticking over at 70+ fps in all but the most barren and uncluttered environments. 

It's just a real beast to run full beans. 

Still, hopefully, I'm sure it'll run much better once the numerous updates are rolled out in the coming weeks and months.

Good luck, and enjoy. 

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

Straight reboot could be PSU issue too. Try with some stress test to see if it's temp issue.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just created my account to give my two cents on this:

i5-4690k / 16GB RAM 1866 / 5700 XT / CX 750w

Didn't experience any CTD at all during the time I COULD play. First time testing the game, FPS was pretty good other than looking at some specific lights, PC restarted after the first dialog. Corrupted game file. 

Created another game, went past the part that restarted my PC and played for ~1h straight. Got to the part of encountering MaxTac (The trailer scene) and now I can't get past it. It always restarts my PC around this part, be it seconds before or seconds after or during the scene.

Stress tested everything, nothing happened. Temps and usage in-game are good. Have seen worse usage/temps in other games but nothing like that have ever happened so far. 

Saw some people saying limiting the CPU usage in the Power Plan Settings could solve it. Didn't work for me. Some said limiting FPS would solve. Didn't work. Some said installing in SSD would solve. Already was. The only thing I couldn't do is "close all the programs". I have some security software that has to be running all the time but it didn't flag anything even when scanning the game. Went to Event Viewer, just saw "Kernel-Power ID 41" which a lot of people say it could be related to PSU. 

So is it really possible that a game that doesn't make my PC struggle like hell make this happens? If so, wouldn't that happen with other games as well under heavy/worse stress? Wouldn't it happen in a Stress Test? Last night I tried again after the update, my PC restarted even faster, less than 1 minute into the actual gameplay. I'm out of options at this point until I get my hands on another PSU to finally test if that's the real problem, which isn't making much sense to me but I should try nonetheless. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 6:28 PM, Colpus said:

Created another game, went past the part that restarted my PC and played for ~1h straight. Got to the part of encountering MaxTac (The trailer scene) and now I can't get past it. It always restarts my PC around this part, be it seconds before or seconds after or during the scene.

Stress tested everything, nothing happened. Temps and usage in-game are good. Have seen worse usage/temps in other games but nothing like that have ever happened so far. 

Have the same issue...

My PC goes off at very specific points before the trailer kicks in or between the different mission segments. 

The interesting bit is that I restarted my campaign with a new char and replayed a lot of missions - there were no crashes the first time, but now as im replaying my PC crashes all the time. I don't really get why it was fine the first play with a different char, but the second new char is in shambles.

Did reinstall drivers, updates, etc. - no help. It also crashed before the hotfix and still does after