HPE Gen9 with asus hyper m.2 x16 card v2

DesertCamel

Hello everyone, 

I have HPE Gen9 Server and I just bought Asus hyper m.2 x16 card v2 and 4x Samsung 970 plus.

Installed the card into my PCI slot in the back off the server and it fits amazing and nicely, the bad news that I can't get the bios to understand what is that device and it says unknown.
I tried multi solutions but no luck even turning on the windows server 2019 shows unknown device in "PCI Bus" slot.

I would be so happy If there is way I can let the server runs those 4x Samsung 970 plus even if you guys know a good way to make them works correctly even from the front sas slots,

please include which adapters can I buy&use beside Asus hyper v2 adapter if there is no solution for it.

Thanks 
DesertCamel.

unkown pci bus.png

CHeck the bios for pcie bifucation options, but it might not be supported on this system.

Otherwise you need a m.2 adatper with a pcie switch,which are much more expensive. Id persoonally just get a single high performance ssd, like a pm1725( i got on, really nice single drive)

If I'm not mistaken that card requires the cpu (and/or the chipset) to support NVME in order to work. Your server is relatively old and does not support it.

image.png.3fa93a000b0dec82fc70c0ad81433cb3.png

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If I'm not mistaken that card requires the cpu (and/or the chipset) to support NVME in order to work. Your server is relatively old and does not support it.

you need pcie bifurcation support not nvme support. For non boot drives, nvme will work on any pcie device. I have used nvme drives on a pentium 4 with the stock bios without issues.

Pcie bifurcation lets you splite the x16 into 4 x4 lanes and it might be be enabled or supported. What model of server do you have OP?

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you need pcie bifurcation support not nvme support. For non boot drives, nvme will work on any pcie device. I have used nvme drives on a pentium 4 with the stock bios without issues.

Pcie bifurcation lets you splite the x16 into 4 x4 lanes and it might be be enabled or supported. What model of server do you have OP?

OP has a Xeon E5 v3, so it come with 40PCIe lanes. my board came with one of those Asus Hyper M.2 PCIe cards, but it only install 1 m.2 drive. it works just by plugging it in. I don't remember having to set anything in the bios, or maybe there was something, like I have to let the bios know there is a Hyper M.2 card installed, but I can't remember.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Thank you so much guys !
I believe there is no Option for PCIE Bifuraction in the Bios it's only
The Gen10 shows that it's supporting Bifuraction but mine I believe it's not.

So What is the adapters I can buy&use with the SAS slots infront ??

Can you guys mention links ebay-amazon etc which can be perfectly fitted as SAS disks ?

All I want is to get those 4x to run and raid them that's all beside buying one pm1725 as you mentioned sir Electronics Wizardy

5 minutes ago, DesertCamel said:

Thank you so much guys !

Can you guys mention links ebay-amazon etc which can be perfectly fitted as SAS disks ?

All I want is to get those 4x to run and raid them that's all beside buying one pm1725 as you mentioned sir Electronics Wizardy

the solution is buying a pcie card that has a pcie switch like @Electronics Wizardy said.

as for the bays up front.. with Gen8 and newer HP really are arseholes with those, if they dont detect a propper caddy, they dont mount the drive, the chance for getting those to work with nvme in some way is essentially zero. (even though there's options to put pcie on the same connector.. it's exceptionally unlikely to work properly with HP stuff)

23 minutes ago, DesertCamel said:

Thank you so much guys !

the front bays are sas and sata. The 970 evo is a pcie drive. You can't easily convert those, so it won't run in the front bays. You gonna have to either get different ssds, or a m.2 adapter with a plx chip.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

the front bays are sas and sata. The 970 evo is a pcie drive. You can't easily convert those, so it won't run in the front bays. You gonna have to either get different ssds, or a m.2 adapter with a plx chip.

if he gets SATA SSD's, he needs HP caddies to go with them, because no caddy means no drive, because HP doesnt earn enough from double charging for the rest of their components quite yet.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

There is so many m.2 adapter with plx chip in market but they are using less pins as I have noticed is that fine ? I will give it a test tomorrow thank you Electronic Wizardy.
I will just buy the one with 2 slots and see how it goes because I think 4x may be impossible to make them work in one?

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

if he gets SATA SSD's, he needs HP caddies to go with them, because no caddy means no drive, because HP doesnt earn enough from double charging for the rest of their components quite yet.

I can get the caddies to connect on it the SATA SSD, It's possible to find some in the market too.

So what you guys suggest should I go with the "nvme to sata into caddy to SAS or the one Wizardy mentioned m.2 adapter with plx chip?

Just now, DesertCamel said:

I can get the caddies to connect on it the SATA SSD, It's possible to find some in the market too.

So what you guys suggest should I go with the "nvme to sata into caddy to SAS or the one Wizardy mentioned m.2 adapter with plx chip?

you're not gonna run an nvme drive in a sas backplane in an HP server. that is simply not an option.

I will just head tomorrow and buy the one wizardy mentioned, is it limited to 2x nvme or I can run 4x if I success finding one with 4x?

Thank you guys.

19 minutes ago, DesertCamel said:

how about this adapter https://www.amazon.com/High-Point-SSD7103-Bootable-Controller/dp/B07S8F1BGJ

On 12/11/2020 at 2:33 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

It looks promising but Is it going to work differently than the "Asus adapter ?"
good thing it has x4 lanes which that what am looking for, I will do some research and see if someone success running this badboy on a HPE gen9+ servers hopefully !
Thanks again Wizardy!

---- EDIT ----

I will update as soon as I have these adapters delivered & inserted inside the front caddies and I will show how it goes with 4x Samsung 970 evo plus on raid 0.

• 4 months later...