No POST after updating BIOS (Solved, what I did at the bottom)

Konradius
Go to solution Solved by Konradius,

Introduction

Hello, I have a computer that I've updated the bios on. It is a MSI B450M Mortar Max, a Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb ram and a zotac 1050 mini.

Explaining the problem and what I did

It has worked flawlessly ever since I built it in the beginning of the year. But after a bios update it would not post. I updated the bios using m-flash and it loaded properly and it seemed everything was fine. But when the loading bar had finished and the system restarted, it just sat there with fans going on full rpm, and I left it like that because I thought it was normal (it was the first time I updated a bios myself).

Explaining the "fixes" I found on the internet

But then I searched on the internet and found a guide that explained how to fix the issue, clearing cmos. The next day (today, as of writing) when I came home from school I tackled the problem. I first followed the guys trick I saw on youtube, removing the cmos battery for about 2-3 minutes (I left it a little longer just to be sure it would be reset) and when I turn it on I was sure it would go into windows as normal, but it didn't.

What I haven't tested

Then I tried installing that bios version but via the flash bios button, twice, didn't do anything and then I tried to reseat GPU and RAM, without succes, and here I am, with no post. I haven't tried clearing cmos with the JBAT1 header because I'm not sure which one that is. I find JBAT1 written on the motherboard but the closest header is over 1 cm away from it so I was not sure if it was that one and didn't want to yolo it.

I have also thought about downgrading the bios to the older version I used to see if that helped but I haven't tested it. 

I tought it was solved but no

After I had installed the bios properly using the flash bios button however, it restarted like it was done and the bios seemed to be installed, because the fancontroll was working, the fans got more quiet, but still no post.

I would really like some help because without gaming I would be bored to death.

Thanks in advance! 

Btw I have solved this problem, I updated to the latest bios version. I didn't do that to begin with because it was a beta bios. 

Edit: What actually probably solved it was that I had properly reformated the USB stick I used, I read somewhere that MSI Mobos had a real problem with updating the bios if there was any super small traces of other files on the stick. I reformated it via Diskpart instead of file explorer because I felt that it would probably do a better job, not sure about this however.

Introduction

Hello, I have a computer that I've updated the bios on. It is a MSI B450M Mortar Max, a Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb ram and a zotac 1050 mini.

Explaining the problem and what I did

It has worked flawlessly ever since I built it in the beginning of the year. But after a bios update it would not post. I updated the bios using m-flash and it loaded properly and it seemed everything was fine. But when the loading bar had finished and the system restarted, it just sat there with fans going on full rpm, and I left it like that because I thought it was normal (it was the first time I updated a bios myself).

Explaining the "fixes" I found on the internet

But then I searched on the internet and found a guide that explained how to fix the issue, clearing cmos. The next day (today, as of writing) when I came home from school I tackled the problem. I first followed the guys trick I saw on youtube, removing the cmos battery for about 2-3 minutes (I left it a little longer just to be sure it would be reset) and when I turn it on I was sure it would go into windows as normal, but it didn't.

What I haven't tested

Then I tried installing that bios version but via the flash bios button, twice, didn't do anything and then I tried to reseat GPU and RAM, without succes, and here I am, with no post. I haven't tried clearing cmos with the JBAT1 header because I'm not sure which one that is. I find JBAT1 written on the motherboard but the closest header is over 1 cm away from it so I was not sure if it was that one and didn't want to yolo it.

I have also thought about downgrading the bios to the older version I used to see if that helped but I haven't tested it. 

I tought it was solved but no

After I had installed the bios properly using the flash bios button however, it restarted like it was done and the bios seemed to be installed, because the fancontroll was working, the fans got more quiet, but still no post.

I would really like some help because without gaming I would be bored to death.

Thanks in advance! 

Btw I have solved this problem, I updated to the latest bios version. I didn't do that to begin with because it was a beta bios. 

Edit: What actually probably solved it was that I had properly reformated the USB stick I used, I read somewhere that MSI Mobos had a real problem with updating the bios if there was any super small traces of other files on the stick. I reformated it via Diskpart instead of file explorer because I felt that it would probably do a better job, not sure about this however.

13 minutes ago, Konradius said:

Hello, I have a computer that I've updated the bios on. It is a MSI B450M Mortar Max, a Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb ram and a zotac 1050 mini. It has worked flawlessly ever since I built it in the beginning of the year. But after a bios update it would not post. I updated the bios using m-flash and it loade properly and it seemed everything was fine. But when the loading bar had finished and the system restarted, it just sat there with fans going on full rpm, and I left it like that because I thought it was normal (it was the first time I updated a bios myself). But then I searched on the internet and found a guide that explained how to fix the issue, clearing cmos. The next day (today, as of writing) when I came home from school I tackled the problem. I first followed the guys trick I saw on youtube, removing the cmos battery for about 2-3 minutes (I left it a little longer just to be sure it would be reset) and when I turn it on I was sure it would go into windows as normal, but it didn't. Then I tried installing that bios version but via the flash bios button, twice, didn't do anything and then I tried to reseat GPU and RAM, without succes, and here I am, with no post. I haven't tried clearing cmos with the JBAT1 header because I'm not sure which one that is. I find JBAT1 written on the motherboard but the closest header is over 1 cm away from it so I was not sure if it was that one and didn't want to yolo it. After I had installed the bios properly using the flash bios button however, it restarted like it was done and the bios seemed to be installed, because the fancontroll was working, the fans got more quiet, but still no post. I would really like some help because without gaming I would be bored to death. Thanks in advance! 

Please make Paragraphs :)

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | GPU: Crossfire Radeon 6870 + 6850 | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F | COOLER: COOLER MASTER ML360R | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: GIGABYTE P850GM 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC(Currently not operational): CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.