8K is for plebs. Can we edit in 12K?

RILEYISMYNAME

It's been a few years since we started filming in 8K. But now, the Blackmagic Ursa Mini Pro 12K is out. Can we make 12K videos?

Buy Blackmagic Ursa Mini Pro 12K

On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/KnhwWdY

On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/ObG2W

On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/VBuFlD 

BRAW Studio by Autokroma

https://www.autokroma.com/BRAW_Studio

I prefer 144p...

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

33 minutes ago, RILEYISMYNAME said:

Can we make 12K videos?

Theoretically?

Yes you can.

Given the quality of LTT's videography, you're just wasting time.

Seriously, invest in a steady rig and someone who knows how to pull focus properly.

As a wise man once said "The single most important part of a camera, is the twelve inches behind it." Ansel Adams.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

35 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Seriously, invest in a steady rig and someone who knows how to pull focus properly.

This. Also, why are you complaining about performance with the timeline set to 12K? Like you said, nobody has a 12K monitor, you're just wasting performance.

What a surprise. The Mac version works great but the PC version is a steaming pile of shit, well done Microsoft.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

10 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

What a surprise. The Mac version works great but the PC version is a steaming pile of shit, well done Microsoft.

thats more because BM and apple work a lot together. on m1 launch they had a version of resolve that works.

They likely can't use Prores because of the massive amount of extra processing power needed over BM raw.

they give you a copy of reslove to use. their isn't any added costs to edit in their workflow.

stop trying to force PP into doing something it sucks at. editing non hd 264 video footage.

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

As a wise man once said "The single most important part of a camera, is the twelve inches behind it." Ansel Adams.

yep its gone down hill.

They've got steady rigs. They seem to need more 7in monitors to pull focus on

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

thats more because BM and apple work a lot together. on m1 launch they had a version of resolve that works.

They likely can't use Prores because of the massive amount of extra processing power needed over BM raw.

they give you a copy of reslove to use. their isn't any added costs to edit in their workflow.

But it still works better on significantly worse hardware. An RTX 2080 should be able to demolish an intel iGPU with brute force alone.

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

They've got steady rigs.

I'm appalled, because it sure doesn't seem like it. The last video I watched of theirs (The expensive server) was so uneven I thought it was filmed on a boat. It nearly made me seasick.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'm appalled, because it sure doesn't seem like it. The last video I watched of theirs (The expensive server) was so uneven I thought it was filmed on a boat. It nearly made me seasick.

they've got 2 real easyrigs

2 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

But it still works better on significantly worse hardware. An RTX 2080 should be able to demolish an intel iGPU with brute force alone.

I'd put some of the money on BM focusing on Mac and some being windows being broken. I know 6k BMraw does just fine on a rx580 8gb and 2700x

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

they've got 2 real easyrigs

I'd put some of the money on BM focusing on Mac and some being windows being broken. I know 6k BMraw does just fine on a rx580 8gb and 2700x

6K is a lot different to 12 though

Linus in I've never seen anything like this...: We can't afford this

Also Linus: Buys 6 12K cameras

You seriously need a financial advisor... You don't need 6 you need 4 with 2 on future acquisition...

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Isn't that what happens when you use a hand camera?

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Maybe with someone who has a unsteady hand 🙄 My hands are not as steady as they once were, but they are not as bad as that one video.

Tho now that Radium mentioned it that video does look shaky af. Seriously is it too expensive for LTT to buy a wheeled dolly like this?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1028268-REG/indie_dolly_systems_ind_sprdn_updated_singleman_dolly.html

Seriously invest in some decent zoom glass a wheeled tripod setup and you're video quality will dramatically go up.

3 hours ago, RILEYISMYNAME said:

It's been a few years since we started filming in 8K. But now, the Blackmagic Ursa Mini Pro 12K is out. Can we make 12K videos?

@RILEYISMYNAMEDo you guys have a 1-2 minute BRAW clip you wouldn't mind sharing?  Something that has no real value to your shoots or videos at this point?  I have a new Mac Pro and would love to run it through Resolve, just to see how well (or... poorly...) it plays.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

1 hour ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Probably, but if they have steady rigs, why shoot with handheld cams? It just screams "my first video" which it shouldn't be...

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Probably, but if they have steady rigs, why shoot with handheld cams? It just screams "my first video" which it shouldn't be...

Not sure.

My theories:

1. They didn't have any extra cameras (??)
2. For fun

3. To make it seem like a vlog

4. elephants

elephants

Linus: The reason we don't upgrade our editor PC's right away is due to stability
Also Linus: Let's spend i dunno 60k or whatever to preorder 6 cameras that have tons of none issues with things known in the community beforehand and also are brand new and not tested

???????????????

1 hour ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Not sure.

My theories:

1. They didn't have any extra cameras (??)
2. For fun

3. To make it seem like a vlog

4. elephants

1: They have 2 or 3 (maybe 1/2 now because of watercooled video), they have TechQuickie, TechLinked, ShortCircuit, and LTT as primaries, LTT is daily, TL is 3 times a week and needs about 1 hour of camera time ea, SC may need up to 2 hours depending on content and seems to have a 3-5 vid a week, and TQ is weekly, note: WAN show never got 4K. This means they can have comfortably have a Red on each setup if scheduled properly, during the "Unboxing the Sony a7S III Camera" video you can see Brandon pointing the camera at the 2 camera crew both on tripods one being a red and what the other looks like the WAN show camera (I'm guessing). Looking at their main 4 channels it looks like they are able to do so as they all have 4K uploads. So are they short? Sure, does that mean they should waste $60,000 on cameras? No, 1 per channel is fine, 1 spare may be ok but that's why you have the REDs as backups.

2: That should be left for CSF, LTT and their other main channels are meant for money making not armature hour.

3: See #2

4: I think they would destroy the screen they where watching it from then stomp on the camera equipment to put it out of their misery.

My theory: Linus had to blow his Nvidia check on something 🤣

6 hours ago, RILEYISMYNAME said:

Linus Tech Tips is losing its essence at creators. Becoming lazier. If you frame the shot right, a 4K camera is enough. Even 6K is. And if editors can't really handle a crash or two, I am really doubting the creative part of LTT anymore. Creativity comes with patience. Man, you guys are losing your essence. 

1. Upload videos in 8K, then, if you're editing in 12K.

2. If 8K is for "Plebs", I'd love to be one and would gladly take any of your 4K/6K/8K cameras!

1 hour ago, Egg-Roll said:

1: They have 2 or 3 (maybe 1/2 now because of watercooled video), they have TechQuickie, TechLinked, ShortCircuit, and LTT as primaries, LTT is daily, TL is 3 times a week and needs about 1 hour of camera time ea, SC may need up to 2 hours depending on content and seems to have a 3-5 vid a week, and TQ is weekly, note: WAN show never got 4K. This means they can have comfortably have a Red on each setup if scheduled properly, during the "Unboxing the Sony a7S III Camera" video you can see Brandon pointing the camera at the 2 camera crew both on tripods one being a red and what the other looks like the WAN show camera (I'm guessing). Looking at their main 4 channels it looks like they are able to do so as they all have 4K uploads. So are they short? Sure, does that mean they should waste $60,000 on cameras? No, 1 per channel is fine, 1 spare may be ok but that's why you have the REDs as backups.

its 6+ cameras, 3 C200 3 Reds 2-3 BMPCC 4k/6k

1 hour ago, AvMaverick said:

I'd love to be one and would gladly take any of your 4K/6K/8K cameras!

you do realize right how cheap 4K and 6k cameras are now right? sub 1k in options like XT-3 and cine cameras like BMPCC4/6k for under 2k

Linus: Yeah, we're gonna use 12k cameras for B Roll now. :D

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

This GPU memory problem is on Linux too? DaVinci Resolve works on Linux...

Made In Brazil 🇧🇷