If a NVIDIA Tesla T4 is possible, why not a low profile (half height) high end RTX gaming graphics card?

mhnobin

Hello everyone, I'm relatively new in pc building. I'm always attracted to slim and compact builds, specially the ones with only low profile (half height) pcie addon cards support. It's just me. But there are not that much option for a graphics in such cases, expect for some entry level ones like GTX 1050 TI or GTX 1650. Now I just saw the NVIDIA Tesla T4 card which is excellent in terms of specification (320 tensor cores, 2560 cuda cores, 16GB GDDR6 memory with 320GB/s+ bandwith) at just 71W power consumption..!! And the card is only passively cooled..!! Of course a server is designed to have very good air flow, I know those things. But still, if the Tesla T4 is possible, then why not a low profile (half height) high end gaming graphics card with similar specs and active cooling..??

42 minutes ago, mhnobin said:

Hello everyone, I'm relatively new in pc building. I'm always attracted to slim and compact builds, specially the ones with only low profile (half height) pcie addon cards support. It's just me. But there are not that much option for a graphics in such cases, expect for some entry level ones like GTX 1050 TI or GTX 1650. Now I just saw the NVIDIA Tesla T4 card which is excellent in terms of specification (320 tensor cores, 2560 cuda cores, 16GB GDDR6 memory with 320GB/s+ bandwith) at just 71W power consumption..!! And the card is only passively cooled..!! Of course a server is designed to have very good air flow, I know those things. But still, if the Tesla T4 is possible, then why not a low profile (half height) high end gaming graphics card with similar specs and active cooling..??

Probably because noone would buy it... 

There's not much market for such a thing, very few high-end builds are trying to be very compact. And even in small cases you can almost always fit larger GPUs

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Well for starters all the cases that need low profile gpu's are basically office computers meant for office work not gaming or whatever. The tesla t4 is a VERY specific card and is low power consumption due to it's low clocks.

The card is also NOT passively cooled it is reliant on case airflow just like any other tesla to cool itself as these are meant to go into server systems with directed airflow. Essentially replacing the fan on the card with the ones in the case pushing air through it.

Also simply put there is no market for it. Need a high end gpu? You get a system that fits ones plenty of tiny pc's that fit full size gpu's. So just as always you get a pc that is ready to handle your needs and don't try to transform a system clearly intended for use x and not at all made for use y and then try to make it into a system for only use y.

2 hours ago, -iSynthesis said:

Probably because noone would buy it... 

There's not much market for such a thing, very few high-end builds are trying to be very compact. And even in small cases you can almost always fit larger GPUs

its also because the telsa t4 is a card designed for virtualization and scientific purposes.

it also relies on cooling inside the server chassis with high airflow fans to get rid of heat.

not on the card itself

designed for an entire different purpose