Can I set one internet connection to a single program?

Invincible Sugar

I have terrible internet. I need to upload large files to BackBlaze for backups, and I don't want to cripple the rest of my network. Is there a way to connect my laptop to WiFi and LAN (different internet connections) and set it up so BackBlaze use the LAN but everything else uses the WiFi?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Invincible Sugar said:

different internet connections

By this, do you mean that you're paying for 2 separate accounts from your ISP or you're using 2 separate ISPs?

If it's just a single ISP connection, then it's all one network; just 2 different modes of accessing it. Utilizing either will reduce the total bandwidth remaining to the others.

But a wired connection will always give you the most reliable and consistent results over wireless. Also, since you're not using wireless, this frees up the wireless radio(s) for other clients.

6 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

By this, do you mean that you're paying for 2 separate accounts from your ISP or you're using 2 separate ISPs?

If it's just a single ISP connection, then it's all one network; just 2 different modes of accessing it. Utilizing either will reduce the total bandwidth remaining to the others.

But a wired connection will always give you the most reliable and consistent results over wireless. Also, since you're not using wireless, this frees up the wireless radio(s) for other clients.

They are different ISPs. One is DSL and one is cellular. I want to offload the BackBlaze backup to cellular, and keep the rest on my home WiFi. Both options suck, but the DSL is usable when I'm not backing up with BackBlaze. 

3 hours ago, Invincible Sugar said:

They are different ISPs. One is DSL and one is cellular. I want to offload the BackBlaze backup to cellular, and keep the rest on my home WiFi. Both options suck, but the DSL is usable when I'm not backing up with BackBlaze. 

How much are you backing up? I would backup to a separate drive and perhaps use backblaze to keep your cat pictures.

53 minutes ago, cole0622 said:

How much are you backing up? I would backup to a separate drive and perhaps use backblaze to keep your cat pictures.

5.8 TB. I want a cloud backup, the slowness is on my side. If I throw this on a cellular option then it can hog up all that bandwidth without slowing the rest of the house down, and if I can set that one program to that one connection and keep the rest of my apps running off the WiFi then my computer will also run normally, as though this backup isn't even happening.

But I don't know how, or even if, that works. I know when I switch from LTE (built in to the laptop, not my separate ethernet cellular modem) to WiFi (DSL) the computer uses both for a bit, anything that was already happening on LTE keeps using LTE while new tasks use WiFi. But I can't control what is on what and once the LTE internet apps finish up whatever they were doing they switch to WIFi and stay there, the laptop will not continue to split apps between multiple available internet connections.

I just want BackBlaze on the Ethernet internet connection, using cellular data, and the rest on my home WiFi. Do you know how I could do that? Thanks!

31 minutes ago, Invincible Sugar said:

5.8 TB. I want a cloud backup, the slowness is on my side. If I throw this on a cellular option then it can hog up all that bandwidth without slowing the rest of the house down, and if I can set that one program to that one connection and keep the rest of my apps running off the WiFi then my computer will also run normally, as though this backup isn't even happening.

But I don't know how, or even if, that works. I know when I switch from LTE (built in to the laptop, not my separate ethernet cellular modem) to WiFi (DSL) the computer uses both for a bit, anything that was already happening on LTE keeps using LTE while new tasks use WiFi. But I can't control what is on what and once the LTE internet apps finish up whatever they were doing they switch to WIFi and stay there, the laptop will not continue to split apps between multiple available internet connections.

I just want BackBlaze on the Ethernet internet connection, using cellular data, and the rest on my home WiFi. Do you know how I could do that? Thanks!

With that big of a backup I would say get a local storage system, it would be cheaper. May I ask what your backing up? To do what you want there are a couple of ways to do it, 1. tell your router to block that connection, the only problem would be your routers firewall capabilities. 2. change the routing table on your pc to point that connection over cellular. the problem with this is you would have to tell the pc what to do for each connection which would be very difficult. 3? I suppose you could run a VM on your laptop if your router is unable to do the filtering or you could get a router with a decent firewall.