Did I kill the motherboard?

blimblim

Hi,

I tried installing a new CPU cooler (arctic freezer 34 duo) on my system and now the motherboard wont power at all. No beep, no LEDs flashing, absolute silence. Normally the motherboard has rgb lights on it and leds that turn on when powered. It worked perfectly fine right before installing the new cooler. I tested the PSU which is connected to the other motherboard I have and works perfectly fine. When installing the cooler it wasnt easy to push it down for screws to fit even if I followed the instructions so I used some pressure and I think I heard something click (like an impact sound). Did I kill the motherboard or CPU? Is there a way to test if the motherboard is alive?

Specs:

Rog strix B450F gaming

Ryzen 5 2600x

Rtx 2070 OC

LPX vengeance 16 gb rams

PSU: 650 watts corsair

28 minutes ago, blimblim said:

Hi,

I tried installing a new CPU cooler (arctic freezer 34 duo) on my system and now the motherboard wont power at all. No beep, no LEDs flashing, absolute silence. Normally the motherboard has rgb lights on it and leds that turn on when powered. It worked perfectly fine right before installing the new cooler. I tested the PSU which is connected to the other motherboard I have and works perfectly fine. When installing the cooler it wasnt easy to push it down for screws to fit even if I followed the instructions so I used some pressure and I think I heard something click (like an impact sound). Did I kill the motherboard or CPU? Is there a way to test if the motherboard is alive?

Specs:

Rog strix

Ryzen 5 2600x

Rtx 2070 OC

LPX vengeance 16 gb rams

PSU: 650 watts corsair

Hard to tell, but you should always be careful with pressure.
Check it the cooler is correctly plugged into the power socket in motherboard, the motherboard may check if the CPU fan is connected. Also check if you didn't disconnect the PSU from the motherboard accidentally.

Btw, there should be a red led next to the CPU, does it turn on, if so, does it blink in any pattern?

4 hours ago, bejamartins said:

Hard to tell, but you should always be careful with pressure.
Check it the cooler is correctly plugged into the power socket in motherboard, the motherboard may check if the CPU fan is connected. Also check if you didn't disconnect the PSU from the motherboard accidentally.

Btw, there should be a red led next to the CPU, does it turn on, if so, does it blink in any pattern?

I reset CMOS and reinstalled the cpu and cooler and now it works except it has a new problem now. Only a single ram slot works. Slot no3 works but not any other one. Both rams are fine in that slot but not in any other one...

3 hours ago, blimblim said:

I reset CMOS and reinstalled the cpu and cooler and now it works except it has a new problem now. Only a single ram slot works. Slot no3 works but not any other one. Both rams are fine in that slot but not in any other one...

Did you preform an overclock? If so, try to reverse back to the default values. If not you might wanna try reseating the CPU. Be careful with the pressure this time though.

9 hours ago, bejamartins said:

Did you preform an overclock? If so, try to reverse back to the default values. If not you might wanna try reseating the CPU. Be careful with the pressure this time though.

I had put the rams on 2866 before and it was working and its still in the same speed. The stock speeds were 2200 though. Also an update is I tried two of the motherboard slots work which are side by side so I can have both rams but in single channel and two of the slots wont work at all. Ill try reseating the CPU and come back with an update.

Thanks for all the replies btw

On 12/10/2020 at 8:46 PM, blimblim said:

I had put the rams on 2866 before and it was working and its still in the same speed. The stock speeds were 2200 though. Also an update is I tried two of the motherboard slots work which are side by side so I can have both rams but in single channel and two of the slots wont work at all. Ill try reseating the CPU and come back with an update.

Thanks for all the replies btw

No problem. I hope it helps.