why do my wireless headphones sound terrible in wired use?

datnonameboii

I have a pair of bose 700 wireless headphones that have wired capability. I'm really satisfied with the sound when in wireless mode but if I plug it directly into my phone the sound is much more quiet and noticably less detailed. Why is this? I thought it would sound better in wired use honestly. it sounds even worse on my PC. All I can think of is the headphones probably aren't getting enough power through wired use, if so, what's the solution to this?

Another thing worth noting is that the headphone jack on the headphones is 2.5mm instead of traditional 3.5mm so you have to use a 3.5mm to 2.5mm aux cord. Is this the reason it sounds bad? I think probably not because I've seen other people say it sounds great in wired use I just thought it might be worth saying

Hey datnonameboii,

using headphones with a 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable doesn't change the audio quality, it's just a different connector but equivalent from a audio signal perspective. While I don't have the Bose 700 myself I could imagine that you might have to switch on your headphones even when in wired mode (for a potential amp in your headphones driving the actual speakers to work).

If that doesn't resolve the issues: Do you have another 3.5mm -> 2.5mm cable at hand to check whether maybe your trouble is caused by a broken cable?

Hope that helps :)

1 minute ago, Kon-Tiki said:

Hey datnonameboii,

using headphones with a 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable doesn't change the audio quality, it's just a different connector but equivalent from a audio signal perspective. While I don't have the Bose 700 myself I could imagine that you might have to switch on your headphones even when in wired mode (for a potential amp in your headphones driving the actual speakers to work).

If that doesn't resolve the issues: Do you have another 3.5mm -> 2.5mm cable at hand to check whether maybe your trouble is caused by a broken cable?

Hope that helps :)

the headphones automatically turn off when I plug them in, also thanks for that bit of knowledge on the 2.5mm jack. although it turns out if i turn off the bluetooth while it's plugged in the volume issue is somewhat fixed. it still sounds very unclear compared to wireless mode. I don't have any other wires I can use only the one that came with the headphones. It's an extremely thin wire. maybe an amp could be the solution? or should I just get a different wire instead

It could be an issue with your mobiles/ PC's DAC, so a dedicated one might be a/ the solution to go for. Before you run to Amazon and buy one, however: If you have the chance to go to a local audio shop (provided the current COVID situation allows for that) I'd try to test out an external DAC before buying one blind sighted. They might also have a known good 3.5mm -> 2.5mm cable lying around that you can test your headphones with.