Clean cloudy terrible plastic finish?

Hey guys, I have an old laptop that I recently bought which has a shiny finish, but since this laptop is 15 years old it's expected to wear down. The lid is the only shiny plastic on the laptop thank God, but it's really unclear and looks terrible and I want to get it back looking shiny again. It looks to be a painted coat since there metal under it, so I don't want to damage the paint. I think if I clean the lid first with a tissue with soap and water it should clear up a lot maybe? And I've also heard that toothpaste is a good gentle tool to clean plastics?

The label under the logo I think I got a tactic for which is use to IPA to remove the residue. 

I've attached some photos of the laptop lid, and the small scuff showing its got metal under it.

Any help or suggestions would be kindly appreciated, 

Mubeen

20201209_140531.jpg

20201209_140552.jpg

20201209_140606.jpg

Just now, germgoatz said:

looks like someone threw it down a flight of stairs and came on it

Lol (it's quite hard to find since it's not a known brand, so I expected something like a rough looking lid)

I’m sure it’s perfectly safe to just clean it with what you have.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qJB4Xv

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($269.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORE LIQUID 240R 78.73 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($394.98 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory  ($174.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card  ($869.99 @ Staples) 
Case: Thermaltake V200 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Asus 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($229.64) 
Total: $2338.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-08 10:04 EST-0500

I know this is a shameful plug, but this is for my YouTube channel. I'm doing a series about old school tech and my first video was about this laptop. It's quite hard to find and I was lucky to find this for £15. Had to get a charger but now I need an IDE hard drive.... if you wanna check the first part let me know :)

25 minutes ago, MubeenAhmed1920 said:

I know this is a shameful plug, but this is for my YouTube channel. I'm doing a series about old school tech and my first video was about this laptop. It's quite hard to find and I was lucky to find this for £15. Had to get a charger but now I need an IDE hard drive.... if you wanna check the first part let me know :)

whats the channels name? :D

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | GPU: Crossfire Radeon 6870 + 6850 | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F | COOLER: COOLER MASTER ML360R | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: GIGABYTE P850GM 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC(Currently not operational): CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.

48 minutes ago, Enzo1001 said:

whats the channels name? :D

Mubeen Ahmed (it has a purple logo with MA on it just as a reference) thanks for asking!

As @Yo soy Jack said, cleaning the lid with soap (and potentially giving it a tooth paste finish ;) ) won't hurt. When in doubt you can get rid of that toothpaste easy enough anyway.

1 hour ago, MubeenAhmed1920 said:

but now I need an IDE hard drive....

I found a refurbished 60 GB 2.5" one on newegg (18 $): https://www.newegg.com/p/1Z4-001R-006N4?Description=2.5 ide hard drive&cm_re=2.5_ide hard drive-_-9SIAAY9B9S4271-_-Product

Edit: Considering that your video will be about retro tech I'd not worry about the scratches too much. That's the story of the laptop after all, it gets "patina" ;)

4 minutes ago, Kon-Tiki said:

As @Yo soy Jack said, cleaning the lid with soap (and potentially giving it a tooth paste finish ;) ) won't hurt. When in doubt you can get rid of that toothpaste easy enough anyway.

I found a refurbished 60 GB 2.5" one on newegg (18 $): https://www.newegg.com/p/1Z4-001R-006N4?Description=2.5 ide hard drive&cm_re=2.5_ide hard drive-_-9SIAAY9B9S4271-_-Product

Edit: Considering that your video will be about retro tech I'd not worry about the scratches too much. That's the story of the laptop after all, it gets "patina" ;)

Great, thanks for the help! :)

Nice first video btw :) I noticed your audio to be a bit uneven between left and right, maybe try recording your voice over in mono and then slap the track on to both left and right audio channel. Just my personal preference, though xD

1 hour ago, MubeenAhmed1920 said:

Mubeen Ahmed (it has a purple logo with MA on it just as a reference) thanks for asking!

Dropped a sub ;) now lets see some contennntttt

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | GPU: Crossfire Radeon 6870 + 6850 | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F | COOLER: COOLER MASTER ML360R | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: GIGABYTE P850GM 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC(Currently not operational): CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.

10 hours ago, Enzo1001 said:

Dropped a sub ;) now lets see some contennntttt

11 hours ago, Kon-Tiki said:

Nice first video btw :) I noticed your audio to be a bit uneven between left and right, maybe try recording your voice over in mono and then slap the track on to both left and right audio channel. Just my personal preference, though xD

Thaanks! I highly appreciate the kind words. And yeah, I kinda hate the audio that was recorded and used throughout the video but I guess I just gotta play with some settings to get it working properly. I'm glad you guys enjoyed the video though, and again, thanks a lot :)