Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ASRock Launches Legacy M.2 Graphics Card

39 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

There is a connector, the header at the end. Obviously it comes with a matching pigtail with the VGA connector. 

So How does the connector part stick outside of the Case to attach to a VGA display? 

2 minutes ago, StDragon said:

nRpYmmVvy66ViibD9dJcA5-970-80.jpg

That is what I thought. It could make a Slot unusable by covering it, unless there is a Spare Case Blank instead.

Rockin' the molex? 

Work Rigs - 2012 15" MBP | 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X  |  ASUS X570-P Prime  |  32GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  ASUS GTX 1660 Super  |  WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe  |  WD Blue 500GB SATA  |  Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SATA  |  Corsair TX650  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GL650F-B  |

On 12/9/2020 at 1:55 AM, sub68 said:

so this is meant for severs to display video not everyday video encoding

It’s so weak that it doesn’t even need a heatsink unlike some m.2 SSDs 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

This is the weirdest formactor for a GPU that I've ever seen. 

Make sure to Quote or mention me @soldier_ph if you want me to see your reply or Content such as Status Updates, Threads, Album entries or Blog Posts.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

Where I was Mentioned: 

Mentioned in 5.8.2020 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8.8.2020 Techlinked

Mentioned in 11.3.2021 Techlinked

22 hours ago, zhnu said:

Server grade no need for that, also legacy/m.2 ain't making much sense together. Ryzen is not server grade.

ryzen isn't server "Grade" WTF does that mean.

it has ECC support on some boards?

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Geil EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

Camera Gear: Canon SL2, 60D, T5, 24-105 F, 50mm F1.4, 75-300 III, rokinon 25 T1.5, Helios44-m, Sony FS700R, 2 Cos-11D lavs

37 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

ryzen isn't server "Grade" WTF does that mean.

it has ECC support on some boards?

It means it lack proper validation to be server grade, amongst other things.

17 minutes ago, StDragon said:

"Officially" by AMD. But it's really more of market segmentation.

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U#Memory

That's a Ryzen server MB that supports ECC.

Find me an instance where it's used in datacenters. There's multiple reasons for not use it, lack of pci-e lanes, lack of memory expansion, cooling solutions for AM4 socket on 1U that are reliable, density requirements (why would you waste space with this). Sure ASRock offers one solution but you don't see alot of vendors doing it is not worth the cost and RnD put in it. The only use case I can see desktop grade CPUs being useful is high speed trading with high clock CPUs and usually you see a solution that's fully integrated (cpu, mobo, chassis, cooling) not an random part.

https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/cpu-platforms
https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/
https://azure.microsoft.com/pricing/details/virtual-machines/series/

1 minute ago, zhnu said:

Find me an instance where it's used in datacenters. There's multiple reasons for not use it, lack of pci-e lanes, lack of memory expansion, cooling solutions for AM4 socket on 1U that are reliable, density requirements (why would you waste space with this). Sure ASRock offers one solution but you don't see alot of vendors doing it is not worth the cost and RnD put in it. The only use case I can see desktop grade CPUs being useful is high speed trading with high clock CPUs and usually you see a solution that's fully integrated (cpu, mobo, chassis, cooling) not an random part.

I don't know of their products being used for enterprise. But...someone is buying them. Most likely cheap host servers that PXE boot into a hypervisor cluster. That, or used as a NAS platform.

But if you got a CPU with ECC, it's generally going to be a robust platform. Or at least cheap enough to have enough high-availability by throwing more redundant servers at the problem.

Personally, I wouldn't use them. I'm a Dell PowerEdge guy.

10 minutes ago, StDragon said:

I don't know of their products being used for enterprise. But...someone is buying them. Most likely cheap host servers that PXE boot into a hypervisor cluster. That, or used as a NAS platform.

But if you got a CPU with ECC, it's generally going to be a robust platform. Or at least cheap enough to have enough high-availability by throwing more redundant servers at the problem.

Personally, I wouldn't use them. I'm a Dell PowerEdge guy.

For cheap servers you're better off using epyc embedded (8c) or atom (16c) or xeon-d (don't recall number of cores), for the price you gonna spend is not much more to get one of these solutions.

Plus I do have an mini-it x470 board from asrock (not the rack brand), pci-e bifurcation doesn't work properly on most of the bios versions, epyc embedded 24/7 pci-e bifurcation 4x4x4x4x no problems yet that's the type of things that can happen that are really annoying to handle when you don't have a wide base of usage for that use case.

58 minutes ago, zhnu said:

most companies don't share hey we use this. I'd expect most places to use the low core count epycs over this. Its more of an edge deployment or development team option

they've got more than enough PCIE lanes for a HDD based storage server and enough power+ ram to run some VMs.

yeah 16cores 128gb of ram isn't great but its as much as ram intels desktop based xeons have with more cores.

59 minutes ago, zhnu said:

For cheap servers you're better off using epyc embedded (8c) or atom (16c) or xeon-d (don't recall number of cores), for the price you gonna spend is not much more to get one of these solutions.

epyc embedded is slow compared to 3000 or 5000 ryzen. atom and xeon-d are weak too

from STH.

X470 board

On the subject of using Ryzen for servers, personally I believe it represents a potentially untapped market. As a first-generation effort it certainly has some rough edges. In terms of raw performance, Ryzen CPUs are very competitive with Xeon at lower price points. The justification and case for going Ryzen on a pure cost basis can easily be made. However, as has been pointed out in other STH reviews of Intel server processors, Intel has a vibrant ecosystem of platforms and components built around their Xeon E/ Core i3 CPUs, and the complete Ryzen ecosystem is currently represented by only a few motherboards made by a single vendor. That is a huge difference.

X570

If this motherboard was not home to an AM4 socket and a Ryzen CPU, it would be mostly unremarkable. It is a stable system, with very reasonable I/O, storage options, and PCIe connectivity for the market segment it is targeting. I do not mean unremarkable in a negative sense; on the contrary, in my opinion, this is the best AM4 server motherboard ASRock Rack has put out.

https://www.servethehome.com/asrock-rack-x470d4u2-2t-review-amd-ryzen-server-with-10gbe/4/

https://www.servethehome.com/asrock-rack-x570d4u-2l2t-review-amd-ryzen-server-motherboard/

asrocks X570D4U-2L2T

2 10gb intel nics

8 sata ports

m.2 4.0 drives

1 x16 or 2 x8 gen4 slots

Something missing there for a low to midrange sever other than more memory? with a 3950x its already faster than a xeon Gold 6226R and even a 3900x should put a D-2183IT to shame

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Geil EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

Camera Gear: Canon SL2, 60D, T5, 24-105 F, 50mm F1.4, 75-300 III, rokinon 25 T1.5, Helios44-m, Sony FS700R, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

Something missing there for a low to midrange sever other than more memory? with a 3950x its already faster than a xeon Gold 6226R and even a 3900x should put a D-2183IT to shame

In terms of IPC per core, sure. But keep in mind that Xeon is about core count and addressable memory. Depending on the Xeon, it can support 512GB to 1TB of RAM. The 3900x is limited to 128GB.

So if collocating servers in a datacenter, it's about density. As in, how much of computing resources can I cram per 1U of equipment. Cabinet space is expensive! So while the upfront costs of a Xeon Gold is expensive as hell, it can pay for itself if you can get away with a half-cabinet lease.

True story: I was walking into our datacenter and noticed a whole enclosure of ASIC Bitcoin mining equipment. Loud as hell and put out a tremendous amount of heat when walking behind it (hot aisle). I have no idea how many watts he was pulling from that 20A circuit (and there were TWO of those, a PDU for each). Anyways, one day I saw this gentleman carting this equipment out to his truck. I tried making small-talk and asked him if he was upgrading the mining equipment. He said "No, I got evicted from the datacenter", and just got in and drove off. Apparently he was pulling so much power he must have violated the TOS in the contract. I have no idea, purely speculative. But yeah, I'll miss walking back there to feel that nice heat blast (it's cold in the datacenter). lol   

finally a third player in the GPU field. 

Nvidia is shaking.... 

I'm actually one of those people who thinks that anonymity is overrated. Some people confuse privacy and anonymity and think they go hand in hand, and that protecting privacy means that you need to protect anonymity. I think that's wrong. Anonymity is important if you're a whistle-blower, but if you cannot prove your identity, your crazy rant on some social-media platform shouldn't be visible, and you shouldn't be able to share it or like it.

Linus Torvalds 

this is a neat idea for like a headless server or something that you may occasionally need display access on but not all the time.

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

• 3 months later...

When this is available I need 1 i have a ryzen in a pfsence box and a threadripper in a TrueNAS box that would let me hook a kvm to them without having to get another PCIE1 gpu card to be able to set them up or check whats going on when i cant get to the box.

On 12/9/2020 at 1:55 AM, sub68 said:

so this is meant for severs to display video not everyday video encoding

Of course because it's extremly weak even for igpus standards.

Is far worse than any igpu from 10 years ago, but no wonder with 1.4w consumption, Intel hd3000 from Sandy bridge on my old laptop has like 10w of max power 

I didn't read all of the comments here, but several people are missing a key point here.  There are a lot of times when building a system with no iGPU (say, Ryzen high core count) out of commodity hardware would be great (say, pfsense firewall, a simple server that isn't for high performance, etc).  In those sorts of situations, power draw is often a key thing as well (undervolting/underclocking), since the system is always running and needs to do a lot of things, but not be hyper responsive.  While it is easy to say things like "just put a 1050 in it" or similar, those are still around 10w at idle, and 65-70 when running...but this m.2 has a 1.49W power consumption limit.  If this m.2 card is inexpensive, it would make a ton of sense for things like a remote backup location or a web server, especially if building small form factor as in appliance form factor.

On 12/8/2020 at 4:12 PM, GDRRiley said:

going back to X99 most desktops boards have it an probably around sky lake most server boards got it.

x99 most of these where SATA m.2