ASRock Launches Legacy M.2 Graphics Card

Pup Shepard

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/asrock-m2-graphics-card

eFg3APw4DBy5PsNqXSvWg5-1200-80.jpg

ASRock has introduced its first graphics card in an M.2-2280 form-factor. The M_2 VGA module is designed to add legacy display connectivity to any system that has an M.2 slot with a PCIe interface. 

The ASRock M_2 VGA module uses Silicon Motion's SM750 display controller with 16MB of embedded memory and a PCIe x1 interface. The card has a 15-pin header to connect a D-Sub output that supports resolutions of up to 1920×1440. Since this is a single-chip board, its power consumption is rated at 1.49 Watts, which is almost negligible by today's standards in the PC world. Meanwhile, the unit still has an additional power connector. 

The Silicon Motion SM750 is a rather simplistic display controller that only supports 2D graphics and a basic video engine. The chip features two display engines and has two 300 MHz RAMDACs, one TMDS transmitter, and one LVDS transmitter.

I could see this good for really small builds that want a gpu with more power than an IGPU.  If this could be better called a video accelerator card to give an extra boost to performance. With some development I think this could be used to great effect in small cheep laptops found in big box stores to give them a better edge.  I do understand that this version is meant for "Legacy Connection" But it could be really cool for all kinds of cool stuff.  Perhaps even for video editing.  If u don't need an output but want another processor for lots of parallels processing, you could stick this in and have software that can use to to make compute faster.

5 minutes ago, rubberpuppy said:

I could see this good for really small builds that want a gpu with more power than an IGPU.  If this could be better called a video accelerator card to give an extra boost to performance.

It will not do any better than an iGPU, actually much worse, it has no 3D acceleration whatsoever.

It just provides an absolutely basic display output for 2D stuff if you have none, that's all.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Not gonna lie I clicked on this hoping it was a IPMI module that fits in a M.2 slot.

Disappointed. I would expect an iGPU to outperform this so I can't immediately see a worthwhile application for it.

4 minutes ago, rubberpuppy said:

I could see this good for really small builds that want a gpu with more power than an IGPU. 

It's a really cool idea, I'm interested to see what scenarios or use cases this would be a good option for. Are you sure about it being more powerful than an iGPU though? By the way they describe it, to me it sounds like an iGPU or APU would have more powerful graphics. 

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

It just provides an absolutely basic display output for 2D stuff if you have none, that's all.

so this may be usful for servers w/o a igpu.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Given it's an Asrock Rack product it's likely exactly what it's designed for. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Disappointed. I would expect an iGPU to outperform this so I can't immediately see a worthwhile application for this.

every (non g) ryzen owner ever?

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

yep thats the point of it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

The product is listed on the AsrockRack site which seams to be for servers and workstations, so your probably right about that being the primary intention for it. How common is it for server boards to have m.2 slots though? I haven't worked with any newer systems so I don't know if that is common. 

Link to the product listing: https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=M2_VGA#Specifications

Just now, The_russian said:

The product is listed on the AsrockRack site which seams to be for servers and workstations, so your probably right about that being the primary intention for it. How common is it for server boards to have m.2 slots though? I haven't worked with any newer systems so I don't know if that is common. 

Link to the product listing: https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=M2_VGA#Specifications

going back to X99 most desktops boards have it an probably around sky lake most server boards got it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

It'll probably cost more than an old or low end GPU that can provide more than just a low res VGA port...

F@H

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

going back to X99 most desktops boards have it an probably around sky lake most server boards got it.

Interesting, I didn't know m.2 was used in enterprise, but I don't work in that sector so I'm not very exposed to the newer server technologies. 

That's not a great justification for it. Are you implying you'd buy this as oppose to a real GPU for your non-g Ryzen processor?

4 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Most/all server motherboards come with built-in VGA & IPMI for remote management. This module wouldn't help most server users.

6 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Interesting, I didn't know m.2 was used in enterprise, but I don't work in that sector so I'm not very exposed to the newer server technologies. 

not if your amazon but stuff like HPE and supermicro servers will have them

I will admit depending on price/compatibility I do see one really good use for something like this if it comes with the VGA adapter and that's for troubleshooting a computer. Pull out the GPU, pop this in. Rule out GPU as a culprit.

Depending on feature support it might also be useful as a basic display adapter for extending your desktop.

The chip is used on this pci-e x1 video card : https://www.sunix.com/en/product_detail.php?cid=1&kid=2&gid=15&pid=1763

Don't see it sold anywhere though.

But the page is quite interesting, has a chart which says the card can only do 1920x1080 at 16 bit color.. so I guess the Asrock card probably reduces the refresh rate to 30 Hz or something like that at more than 1080p since they say it can do 1920x1440

47 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

That's not a great justification for it. Are you implying you'd buy this as oppose to a real GPU for your non-g Ryzen processor?

no, for ryzen trouble shooting.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

I don't see the point in this. As others have stated, the iGPU is vastly superior. But for servers? Why??? I get that they use VGA ports with Matrox 2d chip. It's just to paint the GUI through a KVM. It's rarely used as stuff is administered remotely from the CLI or an iDRAC / iLO (Dell / HP) or whatever is tapped into the IPMI bus for remote management via IP.

The only time I needed the VGA port from a server was direct console access to access the BIOS or perform HW diags when a remote management controller wasn't a feature of the server.

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Ah, then we're on the same page then.

yeah, if you have a spare m2, then you may even be able to keep this pluged in at all times, just pop on the vga port, and off to troubleshooting land you go.

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

As others have stated, the iGPU is vastly superior

If your cpu has a igpu. THis could let you run a consumer ryzen desktop as a server, without needing space for a gpu.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

yeah, if you have a spare m2, then you may even be able to keep this pluged in at all times, just pop on the vga port, and off to troubleshooting land you go.

I'm thinking if it uses the PCI_e protocol nothing should stop people from using a full size PCI_e to M.2 adapter. Then it doesn't matter if you have an M.2 slot onboard or not. Or if you only have one and it's occupied by your boot drive.

6 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

If your cpu has a igpu. THis could let you run a consumer ryzen desktop as a server, without needing space for a gpu.

If the server is a tower, sure. But it's bloody useless as a rackmount 1U server. And if you're going to be using 4 or 5 Us of space, it's a lot easer to use a cheap PCIe card instead. The M.2 slot would be better used as read/write cache if the storage is within the same server. If you have two M.2 slots, then that would be read/write SSD cache in RAID1.

IMHO, I see this as a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist. That, or I fail to see the market appeal of this.

so this is meant for severs to display video not everyday video encoding

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang