Why don't people create their own gpu models?

Dynamisticality

This may seem like a dumb question, and I've only ever built 2 pcs and upgraded a few so this isn't for me, but why don't people make their own gpu models? Companies like Zotac, Asus Gigabyte MSI etc create these custom models of cards, of which seems to be the default card but with a new case and fans, and with a new heatsink and a built in oc.

Why aren't people experimenting with this on their own? Not sure probably a stupid question but I'm curious

As I understand it, what Asus, Gigabyte, Zotac etc. buy from nVidia is literally just the GPU chip itself. To make a graphics card themselves, they have to solder it onto their own custom board and add the casing/fans.

People do experiment with custom cooling and casings for graphics cards, but very few people have the expertise needed to design the entire board from scratch, and then solder stuff onto it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

6 minutes ago, Dynamisticality said:

Why aren't people experimenting with this on their own? Not sure probably a stupid question but I'm curious

That requires a lot of capital as well as research and development to create your own semiconductor that is designed for graphical processing.. You are talking about millions of dollars and also contracts or fabrication plants(Millions of dollars to build as well) to actually product the GPU die itself.  Custom card companies are simply not going to do that. Also, it can take 3-5 years to to go from design to actually mass producing GPU dies that are based on that architecture. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

That requires a lot of capital as well as research and development to create your own semiconductor that is designed for graphical processing.. You are talking about millions of dollars and also contracts or fabrication plants(Millions of dollars to build as well) to actually product the GPU die itself.  Custom card companies are simply not going to do that. Also, it can take 3-5 years to to go from design to actually mass producing GPU dies that are based on that architecture. 

I think you thought I meant like a whole new competitor to amd or nvidia or something because I meant the custom modified ones from the likes of amd or nvidia

Just now, Dynamisticality said:

I think you thought I meant like a whole new competitor to amd or nvidia or something because I meant the custom modified ones from the likes of amd or nvidia

Yeah that's what I thought you meant, for example, why don't the custom card manufacturers produce the chips themselves. 

I mean I wouldn't bother with customizing a graphics card myself since the custom cards out on the market are pretty decent. In addition to that, putting replacement fans on a cooler by ripping the shroud off of an existing graphics card would work probably better than the custom cards, but will be met with challenges that a majority of consumers will most likely never want to do, and it comes with a warranty so if the custom card dies/is defective, you can RMA to get replaced/repaired. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

31 minutes ago, Dynamisticality said:

but that's exactly what they're doing, they just buy the gpu itself, maybe even make their own custom pcb... 

making the chip itself is nearly impossible and would probably cost billions (and then be worse than the nvidia or amd chips probably anyways, and no good drivers) 

Also people do experiment with this, custom loops, LN2, etc... it's just usually not worth doing it in comparison to what AIBs do... 

20201208_192851.thumb.jpg.b49f91258f57601a88352d9c0050152e.jpg20201208_192906.thumb.jpg.cb99e5f6f8d9b6701dd4429afd300b1a.jpg20201208_192925.jpg.aa266f413b1c025890eb0a56c28135de.jpg

Looks custom enough for me! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer