Is it possible to reflash or downgrade BIOS on Intel DH61WW

Hello

I updated my old Intel DH61WW to version 116. The problem was that Intel removed all motherboard related support from their website so I had to download some massive torrent file of someone from reddit who actually downloaded almost every file regarding any Intel motherboard before they deleted it. When I updated to version 116 the PC didn't post for quite a while. I thought I bricked it. But then miraculously it turned on. No issues ever since. But now I tried to plug an R9 290 but it is not recognized by it. So I thought that maybe something got damaged back when I flashed the non official bios (probably official, but not directly from Intel).

The motherboard has to be the problem because the r9 290 works on another pc. Other gpus work with that DH61WW but they're older so maybe the bios didn't add support for it?

I really have no other option to try than to try to reinstall the bios or downgrade to the pre-gui version bios. But not sure it's possible. I nearly bricked it once already. Unless someone has any idea as to why the r9 290 won't be recognized by it? 

16 minutes ago, Frandesktop said:

Hello

I updated my old Intel DH61WW to version 116. The problem was that Intel removed all motherboard related support from their website so I had to download some massive torrent file of someone from reddit who actually downloaded almost every file regarding any Intel motherboard before they deleted it. When I updated to version 116 the PC didn't post for quite a while. I thought I bricked it. But then miraculously it turned on. No issues ever since. But now I tried to plug an R9 290 but it is not recognized by it. So I thought that maybe something got damaged back when I flashed the non official bios (probably official, but not directly from Intel).

The motherboard has to be the problem because the r9 290 works on another pc. Other gpus work with that DH61WW but they're older so maybe the bios didn't add support for it?

I really have no other option to try than to try to reinstall the bios or downgrade to the pre-gui version bios. But not sure it's possible. I nearly bricked it once already. Unless someone has any idea as to why the r9 290 won't be recognized by it? 

I remember something about legacy bios modes on GPUs and issues with older motherboards, but the 290 and H61 are close enough in age, so that shouldn't be the issue... 

what other GPUs have you tested with that motherboard? 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

10 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

I remember something about legacy bios modes on GPUs and issues with older motherboards, but the 290 and H61 are close enough in age, so that shouldn't be the issue... 

what other GPUs have you tested with that motherboard? 

I also tried the r9 290 on a Gigabyte h61m d2 b3 without uefi and it didn't work either. I tested it with gt630 and gtx 1060 6gb

14 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

I'm afraid to update to a newer version. Also I remember that it was recommended to stay at 116. It's more stable. And the 120 doesn't add support for new hardware iirc. Just fixing minor issues. That's why I wanted to downgrade. But not sure it's possible

35 minutes ago, Frandesktop said:

I also tried the r9 290 on a Gigabyte h61m d2 b3 without uefi and it didn't work either. I tested it with gt630 and gtx 1060 6gb

I'm afraid to update to a newer version. Also I remember that it was recommended to stay at 116. It's more stable. And the 120 doesn't add support for new hardware iirc. Just fixing minor issues. That's why I wanted to downgrade. But not sure it's possible

My guess is that the 290 can't boot in a legacy mode then on h61 legacy bioses. Which model 290 is it exactly? You could possibly look for an old vbios and flash it, but chances are slim...

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

1 minute ago, BrinkGG said:

My guess is that the 290 can't boot in a legacy mode then on h61 legacy bioses. Which model 290 is it exactly? You could possibly look for an old vbios and flash it, but chances are slim...

The Intel board has a UEFI boot option and also to disable legacy boot, doesn't it mean that this board is uefi? Also, what is vbios? 

26 minutes ago, Frandesktop said:

The Intel board has a UEFI boot option and also to disable legacy boot, doesn't it mean that this board is uefi? Also, what is vbios? 

AH ok so is UEFI enabled or disabled? try switching that on and off with the 290, that's a possibility there. You MAY need a different windows install for UEFI if it has been using a legacy boot mode, but you're in a "test and see" area of troubleshooting with older hardware. 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

29 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

AH ok so is UEFI enabled or disabled? try switching that on and off with the 290, that's a possibility there. You MAY need a different windows install for UEFI if it has been using a legacy boot mode, but you're in a "test and see" area of troubleshooting with older hardware. 

But it won't even post that's the problem. I do all these tests without any drive. Only to get to BIOS. But with the R9 290 there's not even signal

13 minutes ago, Frandesktop said:

But it won't even post that's the problem. I do all these tests without any drive. Only to get to BIOS. But with the R9 290 there's not even signal

Have you tested to see if the motherboard outputs video with the GPU installed? 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

I just tested it again with the GT630. At first it also did not output and the motherboard beeped until a few re-insertions it finally worked. Does it mean there's a problem maybe with the PCIe slot? Or the fact I'm using the motherboard on a table (not in a case, it just lies on a card board on a table) could be the issue? However with the same setup with the B450M pro4 there was no problem..

Maybe the PCIE slot on the Intel board is somehow damaged? Maybe something is shorting it and sometimes it won't get a proper touch with the pins?

1 minute ago, Frandesktop said:

I just tested it again with the GT630. At first it also did not output and the motherboard beeped until a few re-insertions it finally worked. Does it mean there's a problem maybe with the PCIe slot? Or the fact I'm using the motherboard on a table (not in a case, it just lies on a card board on a table) could be the issue? However with the same setup with the B450M pro4 there was no problem..

Maybe the PCIE slot on the Intel board is somehow damaged? Maybe something is shorting it and sometimes it won't get a proper touch with the pins?

If the motherboard is just sitting on cardboard, you'll need to pick up the motherboard a little bit as the slot clips go lower than the motherboard. 
Completely unrelated photo, but look at the metal bracket on the end. If the edge of the motherboard isn't raised up enough for that to work, your PCIe power connectors won't go in all the way.
SY-MRA25060_syba_05.jpg

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

7 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

If the motherboard is just sitting on cardboard, you'll need to pick up the motherboard a little bit as the slot clips go lower than the motherboard. 
Completely unrelated photo, but look at the metal bracket on the end. If the edge of the motherboard isn't raised up enough for that to work, your PCIe power connectors won't go in all the way.
SY-MRA25060_syba_05.jpg

OH this is not an issue because I place the motherboard on the edge of the card board exactly because of that. It's weird because sometimes it does recognize the GT630 and sometimes not. The other motherboard on the other hand (the B450M-Pro4) always recognizes all of the cards, no issues: The GTX 1060, the GT630 and the R9 290

I wonder if the the pins we don't see (That are under the plastic of the PCIE slot and connected to the board) are some how loose or broken and only touch at times

Is it possible that from some reason the R9 290 connector won't fit the PCIE slot on the motherboard and won't go in all the way?

I attached photos where you can see the right part of the R9 290 PCIE connector. for me it seems like the GT630 goes deeper than this (That's what she said)

Maybe I'll get a PCIE extension cable to see if it plugs better?

this.jpg

this2.jpg

Some theory on this issue:

The board is PCIE 2.0 to start with, and likely designed for cards of 75w or less PCIE powered, no external power.

The UEFI bios could be more of an add on to the Legacy where some boards started new with legacy and UEFI later added in.

So theory 1, The board is posting and getting stuck on F1 or Del to continue yada yada... get into windows, you might have a screen...or....

Theory 2, the mainboard simply cannot supply the resources to run the card, be it firmware or just slot power related issue. (maybe psu?)

Just my thoughts so far....

No beep codes? Theory 1 maybe.....

14 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Some theory on this issue:

The board is PCIE 2.0 to start with, and likely designed for cards of 75w or less PCIE powered, no external power.

The UEFI bios could be more of an add on to the Legacy where some boards started new with legacy and UEFI later added in.

So theory 1, The board is posting and getting stuck on F1 or Del to continue yada yada... get into windows, you might have a screen...or....

Theory 2, the mainboard simply cannot supply the resources to run the card, be it firmware or just slot power related issue. (maybe psu?)

Just my thoughts so far....

No beep codes? Theory 1 maybe.....

You are spot on with both theories: I updated the BIOS from an old 48 version BIOS with the blue-screen-type legacy BIOS. Starting with version 99 it became GUI bios with the "UEFI" option in the list.

Also second option is correct because you mentioned beep? there are 4 beeps actually: 2 one-second beeps with  , break followed by the same 2 beeps. I think it just means no video output?

However, the PSU definitely works. the card work even when stressed with several stress-tests performed.

But, could it be that even though the PSU works and provides so much power (6-pin+8-pin connectors), the PCIE slot itself provides a lot more power (in addition to the 6+8 pins) so to make it not work?

1 minute ago, Frandesktop said:

You are spot on both theories: I updated the BIOS from an old version 48 BIOS with the blue screen type legacy BIOS. from version 99 it became GUI bios with the "UEFI" option in the list.

Also second option is correct because you mentioned beep? there are 4 beeps actually: 2 one-second beeps with  , break followed by the same 2 beeps. I think it just means no video output?

However, the PSU definitely works. the card work even when stressed with several stress-tests performed.

But, could it be that even though the PSU works and provides so much power (6-pin+8-pin connectors), the PCIE slot itself provides a lot more power (in addition to the 6+8 pins) so to make it not work?

The PCI-E slot should be good for 75w. But I'm not sure how a 2.0 slot handles a 3.0 demanding card. The slot is divided between 12v and 3.3v. If one side is leaned on too hard, I believe the 3.3v is 15w of supplied power.... if over drawn, probably VGA error code.

Is that an Award bios?

9 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The PCI-E slot should be good for 75w. But I'm not sure how a 2.0 slot handles a 3.0 demanding card. The slot is divided between 12v and 3.3v. If one side is leaned on too hard, I believe the 3.3v is 15w of supplied power.... if over drawn, probably VGA error code.

Is that an Award bios?

Don't think so, is it written somewhere in the BIOS? couldn't find it

Edit: I think it's Intel custom bios because I found it: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005473/boards-and-kits.html

My beep code is exactly the "2 beeps" in the table

2 beeps

On-off (1.0 second each) two times, then 2.5-second pause (off).

The pattern repeats once.

Then the computer continues to boot.

Video error (no add-in graphics card installed)
  • Reseat add-in graphics card.
  • Make sure a compatible processor is installed.