I've never seen anything like this...

CPotter

These titles are killing me man

1 minute ago, itswillum said:

In fairness to "temple OS" there really isn't anything like it....

I've never seen a title like this... oh wait, yes I have. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I always thought server stuff (and especially 1U servers) have chassis's designed in such a way that air flow across all components is reliant on the lid being in place? Don't they design air tunnels into the chassis and use the fans to suck air through and circulate across everything? In that case doesn't opening the lid stop the fans from doing their job?

Was it actually OK for Linus to pop the lid off then run it for an hour?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I always thought server stuff (and especially 1U servers) have chassis's designed in such a way that air flow across all components is reliant on the lid being in place? Don't they design air tunnels into the chassis to circulate the air across everything? Was it actually OK for Linus to pop the lid off then run it for an hour?

Yes, rack servers tends to require the lid to be on for them to have good cooling performance.
Otherwise the fans will just blow the air up into the space above the server itself. Ie, not blow as much of the air through the relatively resistive cooling fins of the heat sinks and memory modules or whatever else one has installed in the case. And the drives in the front won't have much airflow over them either...

But the computer will still "work", it will just thermal throttle to hell and back.
Though, considering that LMG's warehouse/set is in Canada, it is likely somewhere during fall/autumn when they shot the video, and they have commented in many other videos before that their sets tends to be rather chilly, like in the 15-20 C area.

Then the server shouldn't have too much problem keeping itself "decently" cool, after all, most modern rack servers are designed to operate in 30-40 C ambient conditions, as to save in on air conditioning costs of running a room full of computers. Old data center standards were substantially colder than this, typically in the 20-25C area. and some more modern datacenters are experimenting with 40+ C ambient... Yes, 40+ C  on the "cold" side of the server.

1 hour ago, CPotter said:

What's wrong there is that you've got Windows 10 Pro which is limited to 2TB of RAM. Stick Windows Server (24TB) on there or Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (6TB Limit). The reason it shows Hardware Reserved is because it is beyond the limit. Much the same as stick Win10 Home on a machine with 256GB and it will show 128GB of it being Hardware Reserved... because Home has a 128GB Limit. This is the trouble with you boys, you get a machine with a small amount of memory and think you know how to use it 😛 

Use the right Windows edition and that memory capacity will become usable... 

54 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I always thought server stuff (and especially 1U servers) have chassis's designed in such a way that air flow across all components is reliant on the lid being in place? Don't they design air tunnels into the chassis and use the fans to suck air through and circulate across everything? In that case doesn't opening the lid stop the fans from doing their job?

Was it actually OK for Linus to pop the lid off then run it for an hour?

You're correct - and generally speaking if the lid is off they've got chassis sensors and the fans will continue to run flat out to try and give it some airflow - whereas with the lid on they'll calm down and adapt, but you certainly can (and I have!) run into issues with lids off on systems you're really stressing.

44 minutes ago, Nystemy said:

Though, considering that LMG's warehouse/set is in Canada, it is likely somewhere during fall/autumn when they shot the video, and they have commented in many other videos before that their sets tends to be rather chilly, like in the 15-20 C area.

I can confirm it's about 21C in my house right now (also in the Metro Vancouver area). I suspect it would be lower by a few degrees in their warehouse since it's just a giant concrete box. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

1 hour ago, itswillum said:

Don't mistake the time when he had "NEVER seen anything like this" with the time he had "never seen ANYTHING like this". In fact, while these videos are fine, the one I'm really holding out for is when he has "never seen anything like THIS". It's going to be a blast!

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Don't mistake the time when he had "NEVER seen anything like this" with the time he had "never seen ANYTHING like this". In fact, while these videos are fine, the one I'm really holding out for is when he has "never seen anything like THIS". It's going to be a blast!

It's only going to be a blast when we see an "I'm fine" counter. 

Do these persistent DIMMS work on a "normal" Threadripper 39xx CPU (i.e. not Epyc) ?

Has anyone tried this?

5 minutes ago, ChewbaccaBG said:

Do these persistent DIMMS work on a "normal" Threadripper 39xx CPU (i.e. not Epyc) ?

Has anyone tried this?

No, they only work on Intel Xeons, and even then compatibility is, messy...

another thing I can't afford

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

A beautiful piece of server tech. I look forward to seeing more about it. Although latency may be worse on those DCPMM sticks as oppose to traditional memory modules given the significantly higher number of pins (288) I'm very curious to learn how they stack up to SATA and PCI_e SSD throughput.

Depending on hardware compatibility I will definitely have a go at these when they become depreciated (ie. much much cheaper).

I remember seeing many years ago a really cool PCI device - it was a card that plugged in to your x16 slot that had eight angled DIMM slots. The idea what that you could use relatively inexpensive DRAM pooled together as a SSD. There was also a 5.25 bay device that did essentially the same thing, but I think that one used SATA as it's connection.

Fast forward that idea to 2020 where you could make the same card, x16, gen 4, with 8 or 16 of these 512GB sticks. That would give you essentially 4 to 8TB of Optane storage PER SLOT. Do that across 10 slots on a 4U server and you've now got yourself 80TB of that high speed goodness.

There is definitely benefit to going directly through the memory slots on a mobo as opposed to doing the same over PCIe. Density is the biggest hurdle with these since there's only so much you can pack onto a die and only so many dies that can go onto a DIMM, even those elevated height ones. Yeah, you could probably pile quite a lot of dies onto a full length full height PCIe card (front and back) but cooling it wouldn't be easy.

I'm pretty sure in the future die stacking will be common and process nodes refined to the point where heat won't be an issue. Whatever process Intel is using for it's current products the next version coming will be faster, run cooler and have improved capacity. Then again, if you always keep waiting for the "next one" you'll never actually buy anything LOL

linus coming home.... mommy why is dad crying....

he tried  something he will never have..

anthony..

barry white. Let's Get It On

linus walks out.... wth did i just witness....

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

These Optane-type sticks have been done before, I seem to recall something for DDR3 format that was similar, though the name escapes me right now, 

EDIT:

IBM ExFlash was what I was thinking about. May not actaully be all that close other than in concept, and if memory serves me, the ExFlash requires an x6-series IBM server.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I thought they were committed (laugh, but I get why....$$$) to having a - "Actual product for search terms information here" after their clickbait...I know it isnt and hasnt been happening but this...well unless its Anthony I dont watch this type of stuff.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Linus, I know you're a Microsoft fanboy, but you really should run something other than Windows on devices like this. You're hitting the artificial 2 TB limit of consumer Windows versions. If you ran Linux, you could use all of the memory.