[Windows 10] Random sound plays every 5 minutes

DakiMC
Go to solution Solved by DakiMC,

Okay I have found it, it was one Google Chrome extension (Steam Inventory Helper) notification sound. Someone sent me a trade offer, but it looks like there is a bug, that instead of playing the sound once, it plays it every time it checks for new offers, which is most certainly every 5 minutes. I've deleted the extension and the sound is gone. (I suppose you could just accept/deny the offer to fix the error, but I don't need it anyway.)

11 minutes ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

@DakiMC Restart your PC, open startup apps and see which looks most sus. My guess is that is a notification sound?

Yes, it did sound like a notification sound, that's how I located it. Thanks!

Hello, I have a problem where a certain sound plays exactly every 5 minutes. I managed to catch it with Audacity, it sounds like this (also in attachments): https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/243118138810564609/785522496182419526/zvuk.wav

Does anyone know what's causing it, and how can I disable it? Best regards, David

zvuk.wav

Edited by DakiMC

@DakiMC Restart your PC, open startup apps and see which looks most sus. My guess is that is a notification sound?

Okay I have found it, it was one Google Chrome extension (Steam Inventory Helper) notification sound. Someone sent me a trade offer, but it looks like there is a bug, that instead of playing the sound once, it plays it every time it checks for new offers, which is most certainly every 5 minutes. I've deleted the extension and the sound is gone. (I suppose you could just accept/deny the offer to fix the error, but I don't need it anyway.)

11 minutes ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

• 2 months later...
On 12/7/2020 at 5:31 PM, DakiMC said:

OH MY GOD! I literally made this account just so i could thank you,THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU SAVED MY PC!! i had the same problem and now finally i know what causes it!! 

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2020 at 4:31 PM, DakiMC said:

Same as the guy above me with a retriever on his profile. We all had the exact same problem. Thank you so damn much for helping :DDD

thank you so much bro, I was planning to reformat my whole system before just to get rid of that annoying sound hahaha

• 3 weeks later...

made an account here just to say that omg that sound was driving me crazy it was so loud! F steam inventory helper xd ill download it only when i need it 

• 3 weeks later...

DUDE I was freaking out, THANK YOU SO MUCH! I also made an account so I could thank you.  

If you want to keep the extension, and just want the sound to stop, right click the extension and go to "Options." It should already be on the "Inventory & Market Settings tab." Then, go to "General," where there is a "Display notifications" option, and uncheck "Notifications." You could also change to a new sound so it's not something so... abrasive.

I also mostly made an account here to thank you for saving me. I had this problem months ago and never figured out what it was, it just went away, so I finally must've responded to the trade offer. I started having the issue again a couple days ago. Both times, I was playing Stardew Valley, and thought it was just coincidence; I was probably trading for the cards both times! Finally, I know peace. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2020 at 5:31 PM, DakiMC said:

Thank you so much man, I had same problem and I fixed it. <3 <3