Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RTX 3080 is underperforming and microstutters in games

Hello everyone,

I watched few youtube videos with different benchmarks in different games and I noticed that my GPU is underperforming and also microstutters.

I played Witcher 3 on 4K and everything was set on max,however every 10-15 seconds I got dips under 60FPS which is weird considering that the game is 5 years old and runs great on other systems above 85 FPS.

I also played Shadow Of The Tomb Raider with everything set on max and I had terrible microstuttering and game almost never ran on 60FPS and more like 45-50FPS.

As for Call of Duty Modern Warfare,it ran great without any dips or stuttering 4K at max.

Another game that stuttered was Red Dead Redemption 2 where I got 1-2 microstutter per second.

I looked on Nvidia forums and users said that turning Gaming Mode in Windows setting will resolve stuttering problems,but I didn't worked for me.

I have latest GPU drivers installed

Do you know what could cause these microstutters and why is my GPU underperforming?

Here are my full system specs:

Desktop:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monitor:LG 27UD58-B
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU:Intel i7 10700KF
CPU Cooler:Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
MBO:MSI MAG Z490 Tomahawk
GPU:EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA GAMING
HDD:1 TB WD Blue
RAM:2X8 RAM Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz
PSU:Seasonic FOCUS 750 Gold
Case:SilentiumPC Signum SG7V EVO TG ARGB
------------------------------------------------------------

Did you DDU and wipe your old graphics card drivers or is this a whole new build? When you get the stutters, is the GPU at full usage?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

Project Hot Box

CPU Ryzen 7 5800x, Motherboard MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge Wifi, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200mhz (2x16), GPU AMD Raedon 6800 XT FE, Case Silverstone RVZ03B, Storage CORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR sf600, Cooling Noctua NH-L12S, Displays LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch, 32 inch curved that I can't find the model number for right now; UPerfect 7 inch LCD Aida64 Display, Keyboard Corsair K95, Mouse Corsair Nightblade, Sound AT2020+ USB Mic, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Schiit Magni, Modi Loki mini stack. 

2 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

Did you DDU and wipe your old graphics card drivers or is this a whole new build? When you get the stutters, is the GPU at full usage?

I used DDU to remove drivers from my old graphic card.

I haven't checked GPU usage,but I'm going to run Red Dead Redemption 2 benchmark and get back with results in 10-15 minutes.

16 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

OK,I ran benchmark in Red Dead Redemption 2 and GPU wasn't at full usage during stuttering.

When there was no stutters GPU usage was at 97%-98%,and when there were stutters usage dropped to low 80s and even high 50s at one point.

UPDATE:

I ran benchmark on Shadow of The Tomb Raider and my GPU usage was sometimes on 80% and sometimes 99%.I tried to run it with V-sync ON and Off and I got same results.

When GPU usage was 99% and framerate was 60FPS,even then I noticed stuttering.

Can someone please tell me what to do?

As Voluspa said, you should try DDU'ing your graphics drivers and give it another shot. Then report back?

1 minute ago, Stockholmes said:

As Voluspa said, you should try DDU'ing your graphics drivers and give it another shot. Then report back?

I will try to DDU drivers again.I'll be back in 15 minutes with results.

1 minute ago, Chris Redfield said:

Out of curiosity, what PSU are you using and are you using one 8 pin PCIE power cable that splits into 2?

Project Hot Box

CPU Ryzen 7 5800x, Motherboard MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge Wifi, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200mhz (2x16), GPU AMD Raedon 6800 XT FE, Case Silverstone RVZ03B, Storage CORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR sf600, Cooling Noctua NH-L12S, Displays LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch, 32 inch curved that I can't find the model number for right now; UPerfect 7 inch LCD Aida64 Display, Keyboard Corsair K95, Mouse Corsair Nightblade, Sound AT2020+ USB Mic, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Schiit Magni, Modi Loki mini stack. 

6 minutes ago, Chris Redfield said:

If that doesn't work, then I would suggest reinstalling windows (that's kind of a last resort option but I don't see what else you could do). Seeing as you most likely upgraded from another GPU, there might be some kind of a problem between switching the old GPU for the new one.

How much ram are you running? Are things running in the background/uploading to the cloud, .etc. You have a high end system and would recommend a min of 32gb of ram, not for gaming but for a better user experience, provided you don't already have it or more.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

3 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

Out of curiosity, what PSU are you using and are you using one 8 pin PCIE power cable that splits into 2?

I'm using Seasonic FOCUS 750 Gold.

No,I use two separate PCIE power cables.

If that doesn't work, then I would suggest reinstalling windows. Seeing as you most likely upgraded from another GPU, there might be some kind of a problem between switching the old GPU for the new one.

I'm currently in process of uninstalling drivers.I was thinking about reinstalling Windows,but are chances high that new Windows will help?

Just now, Gix7Fifty said:

How much ram are you running? Are things running in the background/uploading to the cloud, .etc. You have a high end system and would recommend a min of 32gb of ram, not for gaming but for a better user experience, provided you don't already have it or more.

I'm using 2x8GB DDR4 3200Mhz.

I'm running things in background like MSI Center,DS4Windows (PS4 controller software),and Avast Antivirus

@Chris Redfield Pick up another 2x8 kit, ram is available and cheap right now!

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

Just now, Chris Redfield said:

I'm currently in process of uninstalling drivers.I was thinking about reinstalling Windows,but are chances high that new Windows will help?

I'm running things in background like MSI Center,DS4Windows (PS4 controller software),and Avast Antivirus

I'm not proficient enough to say whether it's going to work or not, but as a last resort it's definitely worth doing. Maybe see if other people have better advice (as they already have) :)

1 minute ago, Gix7Fifty said:

I probably will.

I'm not proficient enough to say whether it's going to work or not, but as a last resort it's definitely worth doing. Maybe see if other people have better advice (as they already have) :)

OK,I will reinstall them then (if DDU doesn't help)

5 minutes ago, Chris Redfield said:

2 minutes ago, Gix7Fifty said:

This is another great point. What is your RAM usage in those benchmarks? If you can, post a screenshot of the game running the benchmark it might help a lot.

Project Hot Box

5 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

This is another great point. What is your RAM usage in those benchmarks? If you can, post a screenshot of the game running the benchmark it might help a lot.

I'm not sure how to make the screenshot,during benchmark on random parts or after when results are shown?

Can I use MSI afterburner to show RAM usage during benchmark?

Just now, Chris Redfield said:

I'm not sure how to make the screenshot,during benchmark on random parts or after when results are shown?

Can I use MSI afterburner to show RAM usage during benchmark?

You could, or you could push the PrintScreen button on your keyboard, go to Paint, push CTRL+V, crop out any thing that might be on a second monitor that you wouldn't want us to see then upload here.

It looks like micro stutters is pretty common on those with different versions of drivers. I'm just going through and trying to eliminate simple things(Bad drivers still installed, not enough power delivery, not enough ram for graphics settings). 

If you turn the settings down, do you still get the stutters? If the games can run it, does DLSS help or not?

Project Hot Box

20 minutes ago, Chris Redfield said:

I'm using Seasonic FOCUS 750 Gold.

No,I use two separate PCIE power cables.

Thats your issue then. 

everything you said sounds like psu, and this psu isn't the best and known to have issues with 3xxx cards. 

I'm actually one of those people who thinks that anonymity is overrated. Some people confuse privacy and anonymity and think they go hand in hand, and that protecting privacy means that you need to protect anonymity. I think that's wrong. Anonymity is important if you're a whistle-blower, but if you cannot prove your identity, your crazy rant on some social-media platform shouldn't be visible, and you shouldn't be able to share it or like it.

Linus Torvalds 

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

Thats your issue then. 

everything you said sounds like psu, and this psu isn't the best and known to have issues with 3xxx cards. 

Are you 100% sure that it's the PSU?

I know that my PSU had issues with Ampere series,but those issues were crashes during gaming,not stuttering?

4 minutes ago, Chris Redfield said:

I know that my PSU had issues with Ampere series,but those issues were crashes during gaming,not stuttering?

That does sound like a PSU issue, if you had problems even with the last gen card. Ampere is the 3000 generation btw, you probably meant Volta?

5 minutes ago, Stockholmes said:

That does sound like a PSU issue, if you had problems even with the last gen card. Ampere is the 3000 generation btw, you probably meant Volta?

I had GTX 1080 before this card and I didn't have any issue.

Anyway try deleting drivers with DDU and it didn't worked.

I manage to make some screenshots of GPU and RAM usage.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

EDIT:I don't know why are SS that small.

If you can't see screenshots try hold right CTRL and press + that should zoom in screenshots.

If it's problem I can try to take new screenshots?

19 minutes ago, Chris Redfield said:

No im not, but it seems kinda likely - they have known issues. we can theorize about this all day, but you gotta go ahead and get a replacement that's known to work with these cards. if the issue persists return it, but I'm pretty sure it'll fix it. 

12 minutes ago, Stockholmes said:

Nope they have issues with 3xxx cards I think Seasonic even issued a statement... 

Again, this sounds like a psu issue... reinstalling drivers or more RAM isn't gonna fix it... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm actually one of those people who thinks that anonymity is overrated. Some people confuse privacy and anonymity and think they go hand in hand, and that protecting privacy means that you need to protect anonymity. I think that's wrong. Anonymity is important if you're a whistle-blower, but if you cannot prove your identity, your crazy rant on some social-media platform shouldn't be visible, and you shouldn't be able to share it or like it.

Linus Torvalds 

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

No im not, but it seems kinda likely - they have known issues. we can theorize about this all day, but you gotta go ahead and get a replacement that's known to work with these cards. if the issue persists return it, but I'm pretty sure it'll fix it. 

Nope they have issues with 3xxx cards I think Seasonic even issued a statement... 

Again, this sounds like a psu issue... reinstalling drivers or more RAM isn't gonna fix it... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah,I heard that this PSU had issues with 3xxx series and caused some PCs to reboot.

I never had issues with it,at least not with restarting under load.

I noticed that while I was taking screenshots I saw that my RAM is using only 8 GB instead of 16 GB,do you perhaps know why?