Privacy question - phone number or email less instrusive?

Go to solution Solved by Vishera,
Just now, Gamer Schnitzel said:

I want to make an account somewhere and I have the choice between providing email or phone number.

Does anyone here know which one is less intrusive and provides the company with less data?

Which do you guys pick usually? I know most people here are pretty aware when it comes to privacy.

Phone numbers are prone to social engineering hacks,

Email addresses that are linked to other websites can be a problem,since you can find someone's youtube channel with them,and potential to find similar information from different websites and services.

I want to make an account somewhere and I have the choice between providing email or phone number.

Does anyone here know which one is less intrusive and provides the company with less data?

Which do you guys pick usually? I know most people here are pretty aware when it comes to privacy.

Just now, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Phone numbers are prone to social engineering hacks,

Email addresses that are linked to other websites can be a problem,since you can find someone's youtube channel with them,and potential to find similar information from different websites and services.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

i think phone number they can trace you with it but also with  email too but there are ways to stop it with email so chose email you can also just choose a temporary website to do it if you truely want the privacy 

My philosophy is, you can always make a burner email for free if you're worried about tracking/spam. Making a burner phone number costs money.

If you're worried make a new email account and use that. There are so many ways to track you on the net anyway not just personal data.

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

Email. You can easily use multiple email addresses for different websites or use temporary one-time email addresses. It's not as easy to set up multiple phone numbers.

If (when) your information does get leaked, spam/scam calls are very annoying, but with email they can be very easily filtered and blocked.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Email. You can easily use multiple email addresses for different websites or use temporary one-time email addresses. It's not as easy to set up multiple phone numbers.

If (when) your information does get leaked, spam/scam calls are very annoying, but with email they can be very easily filtered and blocked.

they can still trace it to you 

18 minutes ago, my username got flaged said:

Better than giving an active phone number. 

Thanks guys, I think we can conclude that email is less intrusive since it is impossible to block calls and people can probably track someone's location with it as well so I am just going with email. I know that neither are completely safe, I just wanted the lesser of two evils. I wish websites would let us login with username and password like back in the day but of course they are desperate to milk us for cash.

19 minutes ago, my username got flaged said:

Phone number is a lot worse.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

16 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Thanks guys, I think we can conclude that email is less intrusive since it is impossible to block calls and people can probably track someone's location with it as well so I am just going with email. I know that neither are completely safe, I just wanted the lesser of two evils. I wish websites would let us login with username and password like back in the day but of course they are desperate to milk us for cash.

Blocking calls is far from impossible, and the average person can't track your location with your phone number, but yes, email is much more convenient for throwaway needs.