Buying a new keyboard, need suggestions.

Gohardgrandpa

Currently using a razor ornata chroma and it’s ok, no real compalints with it. Wanting to get a mechanical keyboard that is quieter but better and have no clue where to start looking. 

Main use is fps games, budget of $150. Don’t want to go all out and overpay for stuff I don’t need. I’m just a casual gamer wanting a better keyboard

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

I love my G710+ been using it for so many years I lost count at this point, Cherry MX Brown switches, perfect compromise between noise and satisfaction.

Have you tried brown switches before? 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

22 minutes ago, Sharif said:

I love my G710+ been using it for so many years I lost count at this point, Cherry MX Brown switches, perfect compromise between noise and satisfaction.

Have you tried brown switches before? 

I’ve never really used a good keyboard before. I’ve used some junker cheap logitech ones in the past. I’ve been using the ornata chroma for almost 2 years now but it’s the mecha membrane and I want to go full mechanical and see what the hype is about. 

Only thing I must have with the keyboard is a wrist rest. The one that comes with the ornata chroma i really like. I’m starting to have wrist issues (35 yrs old) and the added comfort helps 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

16 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I’ve never really used a good keyboard before. I’ve used some junker cheap logitech ones in the past. I’ve been using the ornata chroma for almost 2 years now but it’s the mecha membrane and I want to go full mechanical and see what the hype is about. 

Only thing I must have with the keyboard is a wrist rest. The one that comes with the ornata chroma i really like. I’m starting to have wrist issues (35 yrs old) and the added comfort helps 

I usually recommend hopping on to a store and try the different keys, but with pandemic...

All the cherry switch types are very different, and comes down to personal preference more than anything, you'll have to physically try one to know if it's for you. They do sell a sample board with different keys somewhere if you want to go that route.

Once you know your key type, you can look at keyboards with that particular key type, the rest is just again personal preferences, macros, form factor, wrist rest, design etc 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

7 minutes ago, Sharif said:

I usually recommend hopping on to a store and try the different keys, but with pandemic...

All the cherry switch types are very different, and comes down to personal preference more than anything, you'll have to physically try one to know if it's for you. They do sell a sample board with different keys somewhere if you want to go that route.

Once you know your key type, you can look at keyboards with that particular key type, the rest is just again personal preferences, macros, form factor, wrist rest, design etc 

From what I tried at the store today I liked the yellow switches the best on the razer keyboard. 
Is it worth it to do a different brand than razer? This is where I’m lost. I’ve got the money to spend on a keyboard, I don’t mind splurging a little. I just don’t want to waste money buying a overpriced brand if I don’t have to. My knowledge of keyboards is very little but I want something that’s going to last a while. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

14 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

From what I tried at the store today I liked the yellow switches the best on the razer keyboard. 
Is it worth it to do a different brand than razer? This is where I’m lost. I’ve got the money to spend on a keyboard, I don’t mind splurging a little. I just don’t want to waste money buying a overpriced brand if I don’t have to. My knowledge of keyboards is very little but I want something that’s going to last a while. 

I haven't tried that switch before, those aren't cherry mx switches. 

Long story short, around few years back there was a trend of manufacturers making their own inhouse switches instead of using Cherry MX ones (A different company makes them) this was done for obvious reasons, but at the time when I somewhat was keeping up with the news, lot of them are basically designed to feel like their cherry counter parts. It'll get confusing really fast if you decide to look at all the new switches, a lot of companies cooked up their own mechanical switches now. Back then, the mainstream was pretty much Cherry switches. 

This video from a while ago will be handy

It really comes back to personal taste again, Razer have keyboards with Cherry switches (last I checked), you can't go wrong with logitech, corsair and a lot of the other major companies. I bought mine from the marketplace years and years ago and it's fine to this day, I just take it apart every year and give it a good cleaning and that is about it.

I hope some mech keyboard aficionados replies here, they'll know more about the brands to look at, there are some more premium offerings, but that's out of my scope. 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

1 hour ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

Currently using a razor ornata chroma and it’s ok, no real compalints with it. Wanting to get a mechanical keyboard that is quieter but better and have no clue where to start looking. 

Main use is fps games, budget of $150. Don’t want to go all out and overpay for stuff I don’t need. I’m just a casual gamer wanting a better keyboard

Where are you from?

What type of switches do you prefer and whats your preferred keyboard layout?

Big boi caveiat: Im not a native English user, i can totally bottled up the meaning of the words
A kid with a dream
thank you :D 

I live in south Florida, I liked the razer yellow switches, I can do full sized but would prefer a 10 keyless or 60% sized to give me more desk space. 

29 minutes ago, ProBottler said:

Where are you from?

What type of switches do you prefer and whats your preferred keyboard layout?

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

1 hour ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I live in south Florida, I liked the razer yellow switches, I can do full sized but would prefer a 10 keyless or 60% sized to give me more desk space. 

Alright.
Are you willing to build your own keyboard? All you have to do is plug the switches in its place and put the keycaps on top.

Big boi caveiat: Im not a native English user, i can totally bottled up the meaning of the words
A kid with a dream

1 minute ago, ProBottler said:

Alright.
Are you willing to build your own keyboard? All you have to do is plug the switches in its place and put the keycaps on top.

Yeah I could get into that

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

11 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

Yeah I could get into that

Great!
One more question:

13 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I liked the razer yellow switches

While typing with this switch, do you feel like the switch is too sensitive? Like the switch registers inputs even though you dont even apply pressure on them.

Edited by ProBottler
grammar

A kid with a dream

1 hour ago, ProBottler said:

Great!
One more question:

While typing with this switch, do you feel like the switch too sensitive? Like the switch registered inputs even though you dont even apply pressure on them.

It felt fine to me. I’m not a heavy handed typer so it actually felt good 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

9 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

It felt fine to me. I’m not a heavy handed typer so it actually felt good 

Right.
Here is my recommendation:
- Glorious GMMK TKL Barebone https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-brown-switch

You can buy the keycaps from Glorious but I suggest looking for a cheap set on Amazon

- Kailh Speed Gold from Novelkeys: https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/switches/products/kailh-speed-switches

Although you are down for a semi-custom keyboard, I will still include a prebuilt board (Drop CTRL, currently on sale for 160 usd): https://drop.com/buy/drop-ctrl-mechanical-keyboard

A kid with a dream

5 hours ago, ProBottler said:

Right.
Here is my recommendation:
- Glorious GMMK TKL Barebone https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-brown-switch

You can buy the keycaps from Glorious but I suggest looking for a cheap set on Amazon

- Kailh Speed Gold from Novelkeys: https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/switches/products/kailh-speed-switches

Although you are down for a semi-custom keyboard, I will still include a prebuilt board (Drop CTRL, currently on sale for 160 usd): https://drop.com/buy/drop-ctrl-mechanical-keyboard

Thank you so much. I’m putting something together now 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

6 hours ago, ProBottler said:

Kailh Speed Gold from Novelkeys

aren't the razer yellow linear switches or am I mistaken in some way ?  Between those kailh speed the silver would be more appropriate if indeed the razer yellow are linear. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

Just now, Dr0y said:

aren't the razer yellow linear switches or am I mistaken in some way ?  Between those kailh speed the silver would be more appropriate if indeed the razer yellow are linear. 

It is indeed a linear.
image.png.3fc7cf1615db6e2a2e0185e988a3b376.png

With OP's typing just fine on those low acuation point switches, I can suggest the Kailh Speed without compromising their typing abilities.

A kid with a dream

And yep I did completly butchered the switch recommendation.
@GohardgrandpaKailh Speed Silver is what you should get as the Golds are clickies.

A kid with a dream

2 minutes ago, ProBottler said:

With OP's typing just fine on those low acuation point switches, I can suggest the Kailh Speed without compromising their typing abilities.

I agree with that ... it's just a matter if OP prefers linear, tactile or clicky ...

I have the speed copper and they feels really great and a bit strange as the tactile point is really high and quite sharp and after that it's barely any resistance to the bottom.  

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

2 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

I agree with that ... it's just a matter if OP prefers linear, tactile or clicky ...

13 hours ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I liked the razer yellow switches

A kid with a dream

Good thing I had to let the dogs out. I almost ordered the other switches. You have been such a help. Thank you so much. I’m really looking forward to getting this keyboard all together

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Just now, Gohardgrandpa said:

Good thing I had to let the dogs out. I almost ordered the other switches. You have been such a help. Thank you so much. I’m really looking forward to getting this keyboard all together

No problem sir!
I have to thank @Dr0yas well for correcting my mistakes.

A kid with a dream

Just now, ProBottler said:

No problem sir!
I have to thank @Dr0yas well for correcting my mistakes.

The silver switches are sold out 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

A kid with a dream

6 minutes ago, ProBottler said:

Looking at the website i have the option to customize the keyboard and pick the parts I want. Doing it that way will I have to build the keyboard when it comes in or do they sent it configured the way you set it up? 
It shows they have the silver switches and the black aura keys and it’s $129 total to configure it that way 

Plus I want to get the model O mouse they make 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

I don't know if the switches and keycaps will come already installed in the keyboard ... If they do you are missing the fun of doing it yourself ... but to be able to play with it that way you can just order another kind of switches and swap them when they arrives just for the fun of it.  ;)

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd