Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cleaning Thermal Paste Off Of CPU

Hi all,

Is it safe to apply some isopropyl alcohol onto a microfibre cloth and remove/clean off thermal paste on both the cpu and AIO heat sink?

Thanks.

1 minute ago, Oliboy68 said:

Hi all,

Is it safe to apply some isopropyl alcohol onto a microfibre cloth and remove/clean off thermal paste on both the cpu and AIO heat sink?

Thanks.

Thats' what I use. Never had issues.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

I usually just use a napkin or kleenex with isopropyl so I can just throw them away and not have to throw away the microfiber.

Although tbh I haven't tried washing thermal paste out of a rag since Arctic Silver 5 was the go-to paste and that stuff is about on par with anti-seize or moly grease for just getting everywhere.

I've used windex/glass cleaners in a pinch as well.

Sorry to seem like I'm leeching on this post to get a response to mine, but if anyone could check it out and help me out a little that would be greatly appreciated. 

Alcohol is safe for this purpose.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439

Yeah it's fine. You can get special thermal paste remover, but i'm guessing it's just Isopropyl anyway.

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | GPU - RTX 3060ti FE | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - Wraith Prism + 5 aRGB Fans

I've used isopropyl alcohol alot for removing thermal paste, never had any issues.

I dry wipe it first to get most of it off before using alcohol.

I also once used vodka because there was no isopropyl alcohol XD