Help with RAM on ASUS Rampage III Formula

Hello all! - (TLDR down below)

I come here after a tone of my own personal research to try find the answer as well as confirm.

Basically I have a much much older system. It was running beautifully fulfilling all my needs for all those years until a couple of sticks died. So basically I'm on only 4 gig's of ram (yeah I'm one of those 100 chrome tab peoples so life is hard atm aha).

After it died, i checked my manual and went out to buy some new DDR3 ram, seeing there where plenty of options available I brazenly went with some Kingston (KVR16N11/4) sticks that matched all the compatibility requirements of my motherboard. Assuming ram would be the easiest part to replace I went ahead installed the sticks only to be greeted with no post. I went through all the troubleshooting options, updated my bios etc, still no post, long story short, I returned them (luckily).

So now I'm out and about doing even further research to absolutely try and make sure the next set of sticks I get work. Before people flame me for getting a new system, I am currently in the process of saving money to get a sweet new pc :). Unfortunately I don't have cash to splash. Boy would I love to be the winner of one of those ROG RIG episodes. All that ROG gear looks so sweet.

I have a ASUS Rampage III Formula with a Intel core i7 950. Currently running 2x (KVR1333D3N9/2G) which have lasted since my pc's birth "knocks on wood".

The ram that I'm really keen on buying are these, which also my local pc stores have in stock, but I don't know enough to be certain. And I want to make sure as they are difficult to return if at all. pcpartpicker and a couple other websites say they are compatible but I don't know how reliable those websites are.

www.scorptec.com.au

Buy G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL 8GB (2x4GB) 1333MHz DDR3 | Memory | Scorptec Computers

G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB), PC3-10666 (1333MHz) DDR3, Ripjaws X, 9-9-9-24-2N, 1.5V, Dual Channel Kit

I've come across a lot of similar g skill sticks with slight variations in the model for example gbrl instead of gbxl. Upon research couldn't find much info on difference other then just a difference in the head spreader as well as the RL versions being better for older mobos like mine over the XL but I'm not 100% certain on the info I found, otherwise these sticks look very promising. I've also read g.skill is a really good brand.

So I've come here hoping I can get some sound advice, perhaps there may be some peeps familiar with the board or memory. Any information at all is appreciated.
Thank you :)

TLDR: Trying to find memory compatible for my motherboard before I make another silly purchase. ASUS Rampage III Formula - Intel Core i7 950

image.gif

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone check this in the future, I went ahead and bought the

2x4G) F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL 1333Mhz RL RipjawsX

can confirm they work :)