Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Having a Leak Between Fittings; Need Help Finding a Solution

Hello,

I have a very basic problem (the title says it all): I have two fittings that aren't exactly playing well together.

I bought this old Socket A/478-compatible CPU water block in the hopes of eventually doing some retro-overclocking-on-water, but the issue with it is that it used a rather non-standard fitting and tube diameter. Thankfully, I found a compression fitting from Amazon that works with the tubing that the waterblock uses and then converts to a 1/4" BSPP male thread (which is the same as G1/4" AFAIK). I currently have it set up so that I go from that special compression fitting to an EK extender and then finally a standard Corsair G1/4" compression fitting.

The issue is is that I'm getting leaks between the special compression fitting and the extender, shown here in red:

spacer.png

Even with copious amounts of pipe tape, there still appears to be a leak according to my EK Leak Tester. Hence, this post.

The threads on the special compression fitting and the extender should be perfectly compatible, no? If so, then why is this happening, and what's the best way to stop this leaking from happening?

Thanks!

Did you test with water?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer GD235hz 1920x1080@120hz

13 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Did you test with water?

Yes, but of course.

First tested with the Leak-tester, noticed there was a leak somewhere, filled the loop up with a little water to see where it was leaking from, took it apart, applied some pipe tape, didn't work, applied some more, and still nothing.

Hence, why I'm here.

7 hours ago, ultra_code said:

Yes, but of course.

First tested with the Leak-tester, noticed there was a leak somewhere, filled the loop up with a little water to see where it was leaking from, took it apart, applied some pipe tape, didn't work, applied some more, and still nothing.

Hence, why I'm here.

Sacrifice the fittings and us jb weld. Or try thread paste instead of tape. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer GD235hz 1920x1080@120hz

38 minutes ago, ultra_code said:

I do have JB weld on hand, but I don't wish to do that. Too extreme.

As for thread paste, I'm guessing this would do, no? https://www.oatey.com/products/oatey-great-white-pipe-joint-compound-with-ptfe--275767012

Looks like the same stuff I use. I just stick to permatex brand as that’s what’s local to me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Long over-do update.

I tried the thread paste, gave it like a week to perhaps solidify, it never did, and I was still having leaks. So, before trying JB Weld, I attempted one more thing that I know works at sealing things pretty well - JB Weld's silicone. Been using the stuff to lightly reseal CPUs that I have delidded after I had repasted them. Gave it about a day or two to dry, and then tested again, and success! There wasn't a leak anymore from between the fittings.

For the past week, water with loop cleaner has been in the temporary loop, and no leaks so far. This stuff does the job, and isn't permanent - some elbow grease would surely break the air-tight seal and voila!, the fittings would come apart.

Thanks for the help, though.