problem with quick release connector: flow meters shows low values

Go to solution Solved by Hw87634,

solution: do not use these quick release if you want more than 70 L/h

I ordered these: https://www.aquatuning.us/water-cooling/fittings/quick-release-fittings/19528/alphacool-eiszapfen-quick-release-connector-kit-g1/4-inner-thread-deep-black

I have 2 of them. This is not a new loop, before I tried to add the 3080, I was at max pump speed no problem.

I have a alphacool VPP755 pump cabable of 340 Liters per hour, now the flow meter shows only 69 L per hour....

are these quick release connectors known for this kind of bottleneck?

I need a fast reply ... thank you so much

What flow meter are you using and is it calibrated for the tubing size used?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

8 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

What flow meter are you using and is it calibrated for the tubing size used?

the flow meter is OK.... is the same as always. cannot be.

after removing quick connectors flowrate is now 260L/h, but still not 340...I think the gpu block is blottlenecking

this is the flow meter: https://www.aquatuning.us/water-cooling/monitoring/flow-indicator/13769/aquacomputer-flow-rate-sensor-high-flow-usb-g1/4

340L/h is with zero restriction. In an actual loop, there is always some restriction from CPU block, radiators, etc.

For an actual loop, anything above 120L/h is good enough. Good enough means you won't see noticeable improvement for CPU and GPU temp even if you increase the flow rate.

I have the same Alphacool quick release in my PC, two pairs to be exact. They do add some restriction. But the pump should have enough static pressure to overcome the restriction.

I use DDC pump, and have one CPU block, one GPU block and two radiators and the quick releases. At 2200rpm, it already reaches optimum flow rate of the loop.

this VPP755 was capable of 340 L/h with only the cpu block connected. it has 5 levels, I cannot remember the level 1 /2 because I've never used them (but for sure all above 100L/h).

level 3: 250L/h @ 3300rpm           NOW --> 200 L/h

level 4: 300L/h @ 3800rpm           NOW --> 230 L/h

level 5: 340L/h @ 4450rpm           NOW --> 260 L/h

the reason I need high flow rate and 70L/h is too low is because I have this radiator: phobya g-changer 1080mm - 60mm thick

2020 Phobya NOVA Black Water Cooled Radiator German High ...

5 hours ago, Deli said:

I have the same Alphacool quick release in my PC, two pairs to be exact. They do add some restriction. But the pump should have enough static pressure to overcome the restriction.

I use DDC pump, and have one CPU block, one GPU block and two radiators and the quick releases. At 2200rpm, it already reaches optimum flow rate of the loop.

look at my profile for more system info details. after years I updated the specs... they were all outdated

1 hour ago, Hw87634 said:

this VPP755 was capable of 340 L/h with only the cpu block connected. it has 5 levels, I cannot remember the level 1 /2 because I've never used them (but for sure all above 100L/h).

level 3: 250L/h @ 3300rpm           NOW --> 200 L/h

level 4: 300L/h @ 3800rpm           NOW --> 230 L/h

level 5: 340L/h @ 4450rpm           NOW --> 260 L/h

the reason I need high flow rate and 70L/h is too low is because I have this radiator: phobya g-changer 1080mm - 60mm thick

2020 Phobya NOVA Black Water Cooled Radiator German High ...

Once you connect CPU, GPU blocks and radiator, you won't get the max flow rate as the spec suggests. Because every component will add resistance.

If you have such big radiator, maybe you should consider running dual pump set-up.

22 minutes ago, Deli said:

Once you connect CPU, GPU blocks and radiator, you won't get the max flow rate as the spec suggests. Because every component will add resistance.

If you have such big radiator, maybe you should consider running dual pump set-up.

I tested gpu temps, 25c idle, 42c full load. I don't think there are any flowrate problem. fluid doesn't go beyond 37c when cpu+gpu output 675W TDP together.

solution: do not use these quick release if you want more than 70 L/h