Did apple just steal an ad?

TheBean

Another thing Apple innovated. LMAO

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Lol let’s copyright the word “Hello”.

Also that ad runs on TV worldwide but it says “Hello” only in English-speaking countries, in other countries (I can attest it) it says the local word for “hello”.

Whereas the classic “Hello Moto” was not translated, it was “Hello Moto” everywhere.

People: LOL you can't copyright a common word like "hello"

Apple: LOL we gonna copyright the word apple don't mind us guys

14 hours ago, The_Vaccine said:

I just got an ad on YouTube where the tagline is suspiciously similar to Motorola's "Hello Moto". Anyone else think Apple is kinda stealing motorolas advertising?

iPhone 12 Pinch [REUPLOAD] - YouTube

image.thumb.png.50bfe8b4596a71eb803c3f3b1cf2e897.png

On top of what others have said... Apple has been using "hello" in marketing well before Motorola. Jobs introduced the first Macintosh in 1984 with the computer saying "hello." As I recall, Motorola didn't start using "hello Moto" until the flip phone era.

Sadly, this kind of claim isn't new — there's been a tendency toward revisionist history where people accuse Apple of copying things it actually did before others or couldn't possibly have had time to copy. Folks have short-term memories, it seems.

My favourite: the people who insisted Apple copied the LG Prada with the original iPhone, even though LG's device was just a dumbphone with a touchscreen and only got a design award (not even a release) about four months before the iPhone debut.

Jeez guys.. I wasnt saying that nobody can use the word hello. It's just that in context and the way it is used, it just seems very similar. 

11 minutes ago, The_Vaccine said:

Jeez guys.. I wasnt saying that nobody can use the word hello. It's just that in context and the way it is used, it just seems very similar. 

See my post above. I don't think it's even close.

I wouldn't say they stole it but it's obvious where they might got a little inspiration

everything in culture is just recycling and mixing of old stuff

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Everything is kinda derivitive. Yknow the saying:
"Great artists steal."

Hello Google

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I’m surprised you’re not out there dunking on Lebron with a reach like that.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

8 hours ago, The_Vaccine said:

It might be considered lampoon.  This is I think a reason that copywrite protection requires active defense.   If Apple did not go after Motorola when Motorola copied apples marketing does it now belong to Motorola?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Ok, some quick info on IP law because this thread is painful.

1) it's CopyRIGHT...as in the right to copy...not copywrite.

2) Copyright does NOT require active defense. Trademark does. There's a difference.

3) Apple did not copyright the word apple. It is trademarked, as in a mark, used in trade. Trademarks operate in different categories.  So one company could have a trademark in electronics and another company has it in breakfast cereals. ("Electronics" is a very broad term and is used as example...they get much more fine tooth than that).

4) Trademarks require both use and active protection. If someone comes close to using it, you need to defend it or it can be lost. A trademark can also lost if it becomes a generic term (research brands like Xerox and Kleenix for this whole mess). If you don't actively use a trademark, it can be voided or taken by someone else after x amount of time. This is why say Marvel will put out a special featuring a random character every so often, just to main the trademark. (I assume it's one of the reasons why Apple's new wireless charging thing is using the "mag safe" name.

5) "Hello Moto" would be a trademark, or maybe a service mark (which is like a trademark but somewhat different..it's often used for things like motto's. (also branding which ties into this). Things like the voice and inflection saying it would fall into it, as well as font use etc.

6) Ads as a presentation are copyrighted. Violating  copyright in ads is a lot more difficult to do, as it would be either be intentional, so would have a parody defense (note, defense...you might still get sued, but in court you have that as a defense...it's not a proactive get out of jail card...but a clear parody isn't going to bothered with unless there's something more going on..so like the various parody's of Apple's I'm a PC/I'm a Mac series weren't challenged)....or an unintentional which is hard to do, but I'm sure if you looked, you could find some lawsuits about that...usually someone copying a little ad with one that explodes in popularity/awards or makes a ton of money for the company...you see this kind of thing in the movie industry a lot.

7) Apple using "Hello..." is a "trademark" (in the sense of it's something recognized that they have done and do) but not, to my knowledge, a trademark (as in a legally protected mark used in trade. It well could be something they have legal protection on, or at least law documents about because big companies tend to have those things handy just in case.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

Hello is a greeting. They didn't steal anything.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 12/5/2020 at 1:57 AM, Arika S said:

Motorola doesn't own the word "hello" in advertisments.

Well now Apple does,

inb4 lawsuit?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

No similarity to me.

But I have always been curious about the origins of the word Hello. There is a word with negative vibes within the word. Much like there is a rather lighthearted word in the word Funeral. Coincidence? Sometime's having a laugh.

I just got an email from a colleague that started with "hello LAwLz" so I told him to shut up and stop stealing from Motorola. It seems like everyone is just copying Motorola these days. 

6 hours ago, unsorted said:

No similarity to me.

But I have always been curious about the origins of the word Hello. There is a word with negative vibes within the word. Much like there is a rather lighthearted word in the word Funeral. Coincidence? Sometime's having a laugh.

The study of the history and origin of words is contained within etymology (though they do other things too) one description:

https://www.etymonline.com/word/hello

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.