i3 330m to i7 740qm upgrade (no display with i7 installed)

Moelvis

i to whoever stumbles onto this post!

I have an MSI Fx600 laptop with an i3 330m and gt325m gpu. It has a MS16g11 VER1.0 board with a HM55 chipset (which I believe supports the first gen mobile quad core i7s). I couldn't find anything in the MSI support pages or the user manual about CPU support of any kind unfortunately. I thought that the tdp difference of 10W didn't really matter, as I had seen people upgrade 4th gen laptops from 35W to 45W Cpus in the past. 

This was the extent of the research I did before deciding to buy an i7 740qm. I installed the i7 into the laptop, only to be greeted with nothing from the screen. I've tried the 'ye old' resetting the cmos and seeing what happens method, but to no avail, although the new cpu seems to be kicking off more heat now. Since the laptop still works with the i3, I've updated the bios, but again this didn't change anything to my knowledge

At this point, I'm almost sure that the CPU simply isn't supported by MSI for this laptop, but I've also considered the possibility of the i7 not having integrated graphics playing a role in the lack of display (although it probably shouldn't given the discrete gpu - I'm not sure) or that perhaps I'm being really stupid about something. But it's safe to say I am stuck, so any suggestions are welcome and much appreciated!

N.B. As you may have guessed, this isn't an urgent issue - I thought it would just be cool to see this old laptop run with an i7 instead of the lacklustre little i3.

In this case, the chipset may support the processor, but that doesn't mean the Agesa code is injected into any bios for this motherboard. It's simply just not supported.

Unless you know someone that can modify the bios and inject the code for the i7, you're at a loss. 

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

In this case, the chipset may support the processor, but that doesn't mean the Agesa code is injected into any bios for this motherboard. It's simply just not supported.

If you know someone that can modify the bios and inject the code for the i7, you're at a loss. 

Thanks for the response!

I' was hoping that there might be a simpler solution, but hey that's the way these things go sometimes. I'll keep looking for an easy way out.

Also, (sorry a bit off-topic I know) do Intel boards use Agesa? I've only heard the term being used in relation to AMD boards but I might be wrong.

1 minute ago, Moelvis said:

Thanks for the response!

I' was hoping that there might be a simpler solution, but hey that's the way these things go sometimes. I'll keep looking for an easy way out.

Also, (sorry a bit off-topic I know) do Intel boards use Agesa? I've only heard the term being used in relation to AMD boards but I might be wrong.

Mircrocode I believe Intel uses. (Same thing, different naming. Like HT and SMT)

Won't be any other way out that I'm aware of honestly. But I wish you luck never the less!