Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Power supply doesn't have extra cpu pin

Go to solution Solved by Mateyyy,

You don't need the extra 4-pin, but that PSU is very bad.

So i just bought a new motherboard but when looking at it i noticed there's more than just a standard 4 pin cpu connecter and my psu only has a 4 pin for cpu
Mobo--  https://www.newegg.com/asrock-b550-extreme4/p/N82E16813157933
PSU--  https://es.thermaltake.com/smart-650w-bronze.html

Does this mean i need a newer/better psu and is there any recommendations anyone has if so?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe | macOS Big Sur

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

Just now, Mateyyy said:

But for now until i get a better PSU can i just slap the 8 pin in there and will it work? I was actually planning on getting a better psu in the near future but really wanted to get this mobo in today and working 

5 minutes ago, Ls9L said:

But for now until i get a better PSU can i just slap the 8 pin in there and will it work? I was actually planning on getting a better psu in the near future but really wanted to get this mobo in today and working 

It'll work, but yeah get a better power supply for sure. :P 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

4 minutes ago, Ls9L said:

You just need the 8-pin. The additional 4-pin is pointless on ambient cooling.

My comment on the PSU was sort of beside your question though - it's bad because it's bad, not because it only has an 8-pin EPS connector.

3 minutes ago, Asez23 said:

it will work, but dont overclock

Why?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe | macOS Big Sur

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

4 minutes ago, Ls9L said:

You only need the 8 pin, and you can overclock as much as you want, the extra 4 pin is mostly for marketing and is maybe useful for LN2 overclocking.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Mateyyy said:

You just need the 8-pin. The additional 4-pin is pointless on ambient cooling.

Why?

I heard that if you pull too much voltage from a crappy psu, it will fry your system.

4 minutes ago, Asez23 said:

I heard that if you pull too much voltage from a crappy psu, it will fry your system.

The voltage coming from the power supply is supposed to be about 12V constant(within variance) for the CPU. The voltage conversion is handled by the respective power delivery.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

The voltage coming from the power supply is supposed to be about 12V constant(within variance) on the CPU. The voltage conversion is handled by the respective power delivery.

ok

Just now, Asez23 said:

ok

I should actually say _for_ the CPU. The CPU gets 1ish volts.