Is it possibe to rewire ?

Simone_ltt

Hey Got a webcam bay from my dead old DELL LATITUDE e5510
Can i rewire it to usb ? or any other ? (just want to use it as the wecam/mic for my desktop)
.WEBCAM + CABLE DELL LATITUDE E5510 0WPMW0 0VWKTR ORIGINAL | eBay

Just now, Abhirupam Sarmah said:

IF that's not possible i als have the
webcam bay from my dead old DELL VOSTRO 1510
Can i rewire it to usb ? or any other ? (just want to use it as the wecam/mic for my desktop)
Cabo Flat Webcam Dell Vostro 1510/1511/1520 Dc02000hp00 - R$ 50,58 em  Mercado Livre

yeah but you need to find +5V(usually RED) , GND(usually BLACK) , DATA+(usually WHITE) , DATA-(usually GREEN) on the webcams

Yes.

But also no.

It likely won't be that easy. 

The camera module likely doesn't have the controller on it, the necessary temp storage chip, the communication controller for USB, and what not. All these things are typically on the laptop's PCB, not on the camera module itself due to lack of space where it is located.

Nothing stops you from trying and wire it up onto a USB male connector just for the fun of it, but just be aware that it is highly likely not going to work,

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

8 hours ago, PatrikYT_98 said:

yeah but you need to find +5V(usually RED) , GND(usually BLACK) , DATA+(usually WHITE) , DATA-(usually GREEN) on the webcams

But the housing contains MIC and CAMERA so it doesn't have 4 wires to deal with it has somewhat 8 wires.
So how do i do it ?

7 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Yes.

But also no.

It likely won't be that easy. 

The camera module likely doesn't have the controller on it, the necessary temp storage chip, the communication controller for USB, and what not. All these things are typically on the laptop's PCB, not on the camera module itself due to lack of space where it is located.

Nothing stops you from trying and wire it up onto a USB male connector just for the fun of it, but just be aware that it is highly likely not going to work,

Yes i have earlier tried it with an old keyboard it didn't work but trying is not bad.
Also the HOUSING has 8 wires how do i deal with 8. i only know how to deal with 4
@PatrikYT_98   @TetraSky

9 hours ago, Abhirupam Sarmah said:

Yes i have earlier tried it with an old keyboard it didn't work but trying is not bad.
Also the HOUSING has 8 wires how do i deal with 8. i only know how to deal with 4

Usually these things are handled by the onboard controller.

You could try soldering them in parallel for the fun of it. Or disregard one in favor of the other.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro