AMD Ryzen 9 3900x heat issues!

SolidShock
Go to solution Solved by Vikrant1105,

Might sound like a very basic thing but have you tried re-applying the thermal paste?

I once had a similar issue with my intel based laptop. The temp would spike up and down suddenly and would go through the roof even with medium load. I was able to resolve the issue by cleaning the existing paste and applying a good quality thermal paste.

Okay,  so I've been saving up for a new computer for a while. Gladly, I've made good friends with a buddy who owns his own online store for selling pc parts, so he was okay with order parts for me and building the pc for me.
The build: Here  (Except mine actually has a 1660TI)

When I got the pc, I got Windows on it, update the BIOS, Windows 10, NVIDIA and Chipset drivers all to the newest versions I could find.

So the system itself has a dual-fan CPU cooler (CoolerMaster MA610P) and 4 other system fans. I noticed the fans liked to go up and down, up and down when just sitting idle on the desktop. I got Ryzen Master and yeah, idle temps were around 49C-59C, sometimes spiking to 69C when I moved my mouse. I got worried, so I checked around the place for why this would happen. I tuned my smart fans in the bios, so they don't go up and down, which resolved the fan issue.
I checked to make sure the cooler was properly installed and wasn't wobbily, all of that was fine. Then I talked to my friend and a few other smarter people about hardware and they said I should run some benchmarks.

I downloaded Cinebench and ran it. In the first 8 seconds my CPU instantly maxes out at 95C and out of being scared that something can go south, I stopped the test. I played CSGO for a while, there I was averaging around 77C while playing.. bit weird, later I downloaded Heroes & Generals, there I only had 30% cpu usage in task manager, but managed to hit around 80-83C!!! That's when I instantly understood something is wrong.
From all the info I read online, my cooler is a good chunk better than the stock, so knowing that the stock one is good enough, this one should be plenty. I think it shouldn't go over 85C even if my usage were to be around 80-90%.
Core Temp also showed that I started to thermally throttle and lose speed when running Cinebench.

Right now I honestly don't know what to do. I can't buy a different cooler, but I honestly have a feeling the chip may be the one at fault, since I've seen online other people using this combo and they're fine! Please help!af7ccf23-1cb1-4b01-bbc3-8cb708d28412.thumb.jpg.92399d4f1687613725ee44734c69f290.jpg

Check your fan curve in BIOS to make sure it's not on a "silent" setting and then check cooler mounting.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Like in some previous cases of other people's mishaps, you didn't forget to remove the sticker from the cooler did you?

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

2 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

Check your fan curve in BIOS to make sure it's not on a "silent" setting and then check cooler mounting.

3 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Try remounting your cooler.

Cooler mounting is fine. Fans are definitely not on silent. I even ran a test where I left them all the time on full blast, same story.

2 minutes ago, MartinKweh said:

Like in some previous cases of other people's mishaps, you didn't forget to remove the sticker from the cooler did you?

No, I didn't forget. xD It's definitely off.

Just now, SolidShock said:

Cooler mounting is fine. Fans are definitely not on silent. I even ran a test where I left them all the time on full blast, same story.

No, I didn't forget. xD It's definitely off.

In this case, I would take the CPU cooler off. Check thermal paste and make sure it's evenly spread over the whole CPU. Then re tighten. I'd also double check that it is plugged into the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard and not a case fan header.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

while I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get the fan direction wrong on the MA610P cooler, double check that one fan is pushing into and the other is pulling out of the fin stack.

I feel like I've seen a few complaints like this with this cooler so there may be inconsistent cold plate flatness, when you pull it off to remount check the surface for uneven spots. Check your thermal paste spread when taking the cooler off, if there are any spots without paste on either the cooler or cpu, or a spot where it isn't squished flat as much, you may have uneven mounting pressure. Make sure all your mounting hardware is properly seated and mounted securely.

I don't have a screwdriver on hand right now, but when I will, I'll check the mounting again and check the thermal paste out as well. Till then, any more suggestions are appreciated xD 

1 minute ago, SolidShock said:

I don't have a screwdriver on hand right now, but when I will, I'll check the mounting again and check the thermal paste out as well. Till then, any more suggestions are appreciated xD 

The cooler is the most likely culprit IMO, but the front panel of that case seems pretty chocked off for airflow from the looks of things. You could try testing with the front panel/dust filter removed to see if a lack of airflow is your issue. I would double check your fan orientation as well to make sure the front 3 are intakes and the rear is exhaust

I admit the 3900x can be a bit spikey on temperature even while mostly idle. Part of the reason for this is Ryzen Master reporting the hottest point, which may be a single core boosting at idle for the odd background task. If you want to cut down on the temperature spikes you can change your power plan in windows to a non-ryzen plan, but that will add a bit of time to clock ramp up response times.

I was running my 3900x under a Dark Rock Pro 4 and 85+ degrees under load wasn't that unusual with higher ambient room temperature. The boost behavior of Ryzen tends to have the temperatures fairly high with most setups until you start hitting power limit, so sustained clocks under load would be worth looking at during Cinebench rather than panicking about the high temperature. The processor will drop clock speed as it pushes up against the thermal limit, if you're still over the base clock of 3800 MHz it could just be the standard boost formula and overly aggressive voltages causing max temperature. 95 seems a bit high though, so either a weird motherboard/bios quirk or bad cooling situation.

4 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

The cooler is the most likely culprit IMO, but the front panel of that case seems pretty chocked off for airflow from the looks of things. You could try testing with the front panel/dust filter removed to see if a lack of airflow is your issue. I would double check your fan orientation as well to make sure the front 3 are intakes and the rear is exhaust

I admit the 3900x can be a bit spikey on temperature even while mostly idle. Part of the reason for this is Ryzen Master reporting the hottest point, which may be a single core boosting at idle for the odd background task. If you want to cut down on the temperature spikes you can change your power plan in windows to a non-ryzen plan, but that will add a bit of time to clock ramp up response times.

I was running my 3900x under a Dark Rock Pro 4 and 85+ degrees under load wasn't that unusual with higher ambient room temperature. The boost behavior of Ryzen tends to have the temperatures fairly high with most setups until you start hitting power limit, so sustained clocks under load would be worth looking at during Cinebench rather than panicking about the high temperature. The processor will drop clock speed as it pushes up against the thermal limit, if you're still over the base clock of 3800 MHz it could just be the standard boost formula and overly aggressive voltages causing max temperature. 95 seems a bit high though, so either a weird motherboard/bios quirk or bad cooling situation.

I did run a test with the front panel off, it didn't change anything, so the airflow of the case itself is fine and I did check all 4 of the system fans to make sure their direction is correct. 3 pull air in from the front, one exhaust at the back.

And I agree, I mean 85+ degrees under a good load would be fine, but the issue that I'm playing a game which only brings the usage to 30% and it hits around 85C and my ambient room temp. Is barely like 20C, maybe a tiny bit under.

I ran a Cinebench benchmark together with Ryzen Master and Core Temp 1.16 open.
The start frequency was 3767Mhz (99.79 x 37.75) and a temp of 52C.
10 seconds in the frequency for all cores was around or under 2320Mhz (99.79 x 23.25) and a temp of 95C.
So obviously it thermally throttled and reduced the speed.

Might sound like a very basic thing but have you tried re-applying the thermal paste?

I once had a similar issue with my intel based laptop. The temp would spike up and down suddenly and would go through the roof even with medium load. I was able to resolve the issue by cleaning the existing paste and applying a good quality thermal paste.

8 minutes ago, Vikrant1105 said:

As of yet, I have not. Stores are closed for today and due to Covid, they'll be only open on Monday. So that's when I'll also try that approach.

23 hours ago, SolidShock said:

As of yet, I have not. Stores are closed for today and due to Covid, they'll be only open on Monday. So that's when I'll also try that approach.

Try a good quality paste like from noctua or thermal grizzly.

I ended up going to the store this Monday and getting myself some thermal paste. Got the Arctic MX-2 I believe it was called.

Anyway, removed my cooler that the guy I ordered my pc from had placed on and boom shaka waka, sticker was still on. Cleaned the thing, re-applied thermal paste, works now like a charm.
Idle temps are around 35C and ran through Cinebench like a boxx with highest temp being around 77C.