Installing and Configuring Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessor 7120P

Vikrant1105

Has anyone tried to install and configure Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessor 7120P card in their system?

I have  2 and i want to use them for running my computations but haven't been able to configure them so far.

Any help would be great.

Hardware wise you’ll need to make sure your motherboard supports PCI addressing above the 4G boundary. On my Asus workstation board it’s listed at “Above 4G decoding” in the bios.

I gotta ask. Do you have adequate cooling? The 7120p is a passive card designed for workstations and servers and will require some sort of active cooling solution to work. Without it, you might get it to boot but it’ll overheat incredibly quick even at idle.

You’ll also need to download Intel MPSS for Windows or Linux to get it to work.

In my experience, working under Linux is easier than Windows.

On 12/5/2020 at 5:21 PM, BuddRoyce said:

Hardware wise you’ll need to make sure your motherboard supports PCI addressing above the 4G boundary. On my Asus workstation board it’s listed at “Above 4G decoding” in the bios.

I gotta ask. Do you have adequate cooling? The 7120p is a passive card designed for workstations and servers and will require some sort of active cooling solution to work. Without it, you might get it to boot but it’ll overheat incredibly quick even at idle.

You’ll also need to download Intel MPSS for Windows or Linux to get it to work.

In my experience, working under Linux is easier than Windows.

I have raised this issue on intel community forum and have been getting some help from someone from Intel.

Re: Re:Server not recognizing Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessor 7120P - Intel Community

You were absolutely right, the cooling on my workstation is not adequate and the card is touching 100deg C even when idle. The reason being the fans are not controlled by the Phi card and therefore are not ramping up when the Phi is hot. So far i haven't been able to control the fans based on Phi's temp/load. I'm thinking of making a 3D printed shroud to attach a fan directly blowing air into the Phi but the problem again is how to control the rpm based on Phi's temp/load.

• 1 month later...

There is an update on the Intel Xeon Phi 7120P card. There were 2 hardware issues which i had to resolve over the Christmas and new year break.

One was related to the power cable and other was related to cooling. The card is now adequately powered and has a massive blower fan blowing air at full speed into the card.

But now i'm stuck at the software configuration part. I downloaded the mpss files from intel's website and the instructions given in it requires the rpm files to be rebuilt. But when i try that i get below error.

Can anyone please help?

My OS environment:

Kernel: Linux 3.10.0-1160.11.1.el7.x86_64

image.png.49cdfe71e94c5f1d0dc9c890c2d03549.png

Complete logs are given in attached text file.

Error:

image.png.1d0ad9d1bcf94cc5246170989b6cef78.png

XeonPhi_Logs.txt