how to boost my android's wifi signal. (or portable wifi repeater)

tJuggernaut29

Problem: My android phone (Moto Z force Droid) has a crappy wifi module and will only work with strong wifi signals

In the lunch room at work the wifi connection is poor and so i get flakey at best connection. IT at work has no interest in fixing the issue because for everyone else it is fine.

Solution I need: I am looking for an external wifi antenna for my android. I can only find USB ones for the PC. From my research, they wont work with android due to driver issues.

Solution 2: Could I use a wifi repeater or signal booster? I dont have access to network settings (its at work), can I get a booster that just amplifies the existing signal? Any recommendations for such a thing?

Thanks

20 hours ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

Solution I need: I am looking for an external wifi antenna for my android. I can only find USB ones for the PC. From my research, they wont work with android due to driver issues.

Not sure if this exists. If your phone’s antenna is being blocked by a type of case you’re using, maybe you need to switch the case. Otherwise you’re stuck with what you have or you can upgrade your phone. Ask co-workers what they use and if they get good reception in the lunch room.

20 hours ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

Solution 2: Could I use a wifi repeater or signal booster? I dont have access to network settings (its at work), can I get a booster that just amplifies the existing signal? Any recommendations for such a thing?

Theoretically, a repeater should work. As to how good it will work depends on the quality of the WiFi signal it has to repeat. If it’s repeating a good WiFi signal, the you should get better range; otherwise, if the signal is bad, it’s just repeating an already bad signal which doesn’t help anyone.

Notice I said range as repeaters and “signal boosters” are notorious for increasing latency, which means speed suffers. While adding one of these devices seems benign, you still need to clear it with your IT department as you don’t want to cause problems with their existing infrastructure.