BSODs on brand new PC

chnapo
Go to solution Solved by chnapo,

Problem possibly solved by replacing the CPU - PC runs well after CPU replacement. I put the CPU into another new board with another set of all new components and it has the same issue. So I am pretty sure that the CPU is faulty.

• OS - Windows 10 x64 retail
  • All components are brand new except one year old GPU
  • Fresh OS installation
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • RTX 2070 - Gigabyte Aorus
  • Patriot DDR4 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 (previously I built a lot of PCs with this combination of this very RAM, motherboard and CPU so I am pretty sure it is compatible)
  • Gigabyte B450M DS3H
  • Zalman Gigamax 750W 80+ Bronze
  • BSODs happen randomly, while opening firefox or doing absolutely nothing. Tested full loads such as Heaven benchmark and Prime95

Unfortunately pefrmon does not complete after 60s. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FX_ghZCgc5vITbiFLBoTHhASQFeci7XK/view?usp=sharing link to synsative file collection app folder

If you have docp/xmp enabled, disable it and try again. Most blue screens are memory based. Also i couldn't access your link. Was it a mini dump by chance? Because i can show you how to read them and how to figure out whats crashing.

23 minutes ago, Digideath said:

If you have docp/xmp enabled, disable it and try again. Most blue screens are memory based. Also i couldn't access your link. Was it a mini dump by chance? Because i can show you how to read them and how to figure out whats crashing.

Sorry, forgot to say that I tried some troubleshooting already. DOCP disabled, two different sets of RAM (of which one is definitely OK and I use it for troubleshooting). I also tried a different SSD because when I googled some of the BSODs, it seemed like an SSD issue. Did not help (none of the steps I tried). I tried with default BIOS settings etc. I also tested the RAM in a different computer and no errors (DOCP enabled).

One thing that comes into my mind are two coincidences. Everytime I build a computer with B450 GIgabyte DS3H, I need to manually tune my Ryzen 5 3600 as it goes way too high with voltage. This is the very first case of it actually not ramping up voltage like crazy and working as it should. It is suspicious that it is the same PC giving the weird errors.

Also my Win 10 is up to date. I noticed that once I installed 2018 version of W10 and it was crashing like crazy, but this one is very up to date.

Hmm. So it's not memory based. Interesting. Do you know what blue screen error message it showed and do you have access to the mini dumps? I know you said perfmon didn't complete but do you have anything? Because i know how to scan them and identify what drivers/system files caused the blue screen and that normally helps point to the problem.

3 minutes ago, Digideath said:

Hmm. So it's not memory based. Interesting. Do you know what blue screen error message it showed and do you have access to the mini dumps? I know you said perfmon didn't complete but do you have anything? Because i know how to scan them and identify what drivers/system files caused the blue screen and that normally helps point to the problem.

BTW you should be able to access the files now, I forgot to set privileges to everyone with link. BSOD: IRQL NOT LES OR EQUAL, DRIVER OVERRAN STACK BUFFER, KERNEL AUTO BOOST LOCK ACQUISITION WITH RAISED IRQL and most often goes APC INDEX MISMATCH. I have yet to run the computer for an hour without BSOD, and I have yet to observe any kind of pattern in them.

Got the files. Man loads of files lol. So ive identified that ntoskrnl.exe is faulting with the error APC_INDEX_MISMATCH. 4 out of 5 dumps are APC_INDEX_MISMATCH.

Now this is software related. Your hardware is fine. That's the good news. The bad news is that the software i used to analys the dumps wasn't able to identify what piece of software. I suspect a bad driver.

Are all your drivers up to date? Can you check for me? Because if i can't identify what driver or piece of software is causing this, the next step is to reset windows and im sure you don't want to do that.

Edit: Also is your os fully up to date? Old software can cause this.

47 minutes ago, Digideath said:

Got the files. Man loads of files lol. So ive identified that ntoskrnl.exe is faulting with the error APC_INDEX_MISMATCH. 4 out of 5 dumps are APC_INDEX_MISMATCH.

Now this is software related. Your hardware is fine. That's the good news. The bad news is that the software i used to analys the dumps wasn't able to identify what piece of software. I suspect a bad driver.

Are all your drivers up to date? Can you check for me? Because if i can't identify what driver or piece of software is causing this, the next step is to reset windows and im sure you don't want to do that.

The PC has not been used for more than a few hours. It is brand new. All drivers are as windows downloaded them - I never install driver as W10 installs them on its own and never had an issue. I am going to reinstall windows once more (like, that should be beyond reset) as I found out that my windows installation was a month old, and I downloaded a very fresh one. I also disassembled it and re-assembled it to fix any possible improperly seated parts. I also re-flashed the bios. So now it is all brand new hardware, brand new BIOS, brand new windows (installing right now). But it was before also! The only variable that could change right now is that windows is a little newer and that I re-seated all parts.

1 hour ago, Digideath said:

So right during system installation (the last part when the system just says Wait a moment, we are getting ready for you or something like that) I got BSOD: CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. I made a fresh install so wiped the whole drive, let windows create new partitions and install the most up to date version from USB. EDIT: 3min later - tried to download the app from sysnative and I got APC_INDEX_MISMATCH.

13 minutes ago, chnapo said:

All drivers are as windows downloaded them - I never install driver as W10 installs them on its own and never had an issue.

That is a big part of your issue. Windows downloaded drivers tend to be old and outdated. You need to download and install proper up to date drivers for your equipmend. I can't stress that enough. Figure out what each part is and download the most recent drivers from thier site.

6 minutes ago, chnapo said:

So right during system installation (the last part when the system just says Wait a moment, we are getting ready for you or something like that) I got BSOD: CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. I made a fresh install so wiped the whole drive, let windows create new partitions and install the most up to date version from USB.

Thats ram. Data got altered at some point during install. For diagnostic purposes, make sure you have your old kit in. That's the last known good configuration that worked. No xmp.

7 minutes ago, chnapo said:

So right during system installation (the last part when the system just says Wait a moment, we are getting ready for you or something like that) I got BSOD: CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. I made a fresh install so wiped the whole drive, let windows create new partitions and install the most up to date version from USB. EDIT: 3min later - tried to download the app from sysnative and I got APC_INDEX_MISMATCH.

You didn't have to reinstall windows. You could have just worked with the installation you had. Just a reset would have worked at a push. I don't even think it was as drastic as that. You just needed updated drivers.

4 minutes ago, Digideath said:

You didn't have to reinstall windows. You could have just worked with the installation you had. Just a reset would have worked at a push. I don't even think it was as drastic as that. You just needed updated drivers.

As it now crashed during windows installation, I don´t think I can trust it to not be corrupted, can I? I reinstalled the windows now because I was installing a month old version and updates were giving me errors. So I figured it would be the best to install the most uptodate version right away. Also installing fresh windows is matter of 20 for me minutes right now. I have no data whatsoever, as I said, PC is brand new. So now I will reinstall once more, install all drivers from Gigabyte, all using verified RAM and no XMP.

4 minutes ago, chnapo said:

As it now crashed during windows installation, I don´t think I can trust it to not be corrupted, can I? I reinstalled the windows now because I was installing a month old version and updates were giving me errors. So I figured it would be the best to install the most uptodate version right away. Also installing fresh windows is matter of 20 for me minutes right now. I have no data whatsoever, as I said, PC is brand new. So now I will reinstall once more, install all drivers from Gigabyte, all using verified RAM and no XMP.

Put your old ram in and try installing again. Make sure docp/xmp is disabled. Pull all pluged in devices. Only have the basics and the drive you are trying to install on to.

Once you get windows back up, go hunt out the relevent drivers. Update all of them for every piece of equipment you have. Don't rely on the windows drivers. They aren't even full proper drivers. Half the control pannels are missing. They are only supposed to keep you going untill you get proper drivers installed. Again, i can't stress this enough. Get proper drivers for your equipment.

9 minutes ago, Digideath said:

Put your old ram in and try installing again. Make sure docp/xmp is disabled. Pull all pluged in devices. Only have the basics and the drive you are trying to install on to.

Once you get windows back up, go hunt out the relevent drivers. Update all of them for every piece of equipment you have. Don't rely on the windows drivers. They aren't even full proper drivers. Half the control pannels are missing. They are only supposed to keep you going untill you get proper drivers installed. Again, i can't stress this enough. Get proper drivers for your equipment.

So I did all except drivers - before I could do anything, I get driver overran stack buffer. I will try to install drivers, but I get BSOD when I attempt to do something, so it will be difficult.

Update: I tried to install drivers again, after 1-2 minutes of just running the OS, I get: kernel auto boost lock acquisition with raised irql

8 minutes ago, chnapo said:

Update: I tried to install drivers again, after 1-2 minutes of just running the OS, I get: kernel auto boost lock acquisition with raised irql

What motherboard are you running? Does it have wifi and bluetooth? Because that can be the source of all your problems. Windows support for this is sketchy. I have bluetooth and wifi on my board. The windows drivers were not working alright for me. I had to update and even now, my bluetooth isn't working properly.

15 minutes ago, Digideath said:

What motherboard are you running? Does it have wifi and bluetooth? Because that can be the source of all your problems. Windows support for this is sketchy. I have bluetooth and wifi on my board. The windows drivers were not working alright for me. I had to update and even now, my bluetooth isn't working properly.

Please refer to my specs in the OP - Gigabyte B450M DS3H. No wifi, no BT.

Update: Programs randomly crash (without BSOD).

Update 2: another BSOD - Page fault in nonpaged area
NTFS.sys
This happened during installation of display driver. I doubt though that the issue is GPU related - driver installed on the next attempt and there was no issue during display benchmarks.
UPDATE 3: BSOD Kernel Security check failure
UPDATE 4: APC Index mismatch also with different RAM

So to sum it up so far:
It crashes BSOD after: Using brand new parts. Complete disassembly and assembly to check for misplacement of parts. Fresh windows 10 up-top-date install. Installation of drivers provided by motherboard vendor and GPU vendor - no wireless or other third-party HW is present except. RAM has been replaced for another kit that was proven to be OK previously. Both RAM and SSD were tested in another PC and worked fine. BSODs come randomly, but it is tested that until I manage to install windows, download and install drivers for mobo and GPU, it will crash several times.

So basically if it is a hardware issue, I can test a different GPU, CPU, motherboard and PSU. I doubt case could be the issue and at that point I will basically have another brand new PC. I am so stoked to find out what the problem was. I don´t have issue with buying hardware just for testing, I will use it later. But it is time consuming, so if you have better ways to find the issue I am still all ears.

Problem possibly solved by replacing the CPU - PC runs well after CPU replacement. I put the CPU into another new board with another set of all new components and it has the same issue. So I am pretty sure that the CPU is faulty.