Graphics cards to connect monitors to HP server

Hello, Would appreciate help with the following:

Which graphics card can be used with a HP Proliant 310e Gen8 server, with Xeon 1220v2 CPU and Samsung 2x 4Gb 2Rx8 PC3 - 12800 E -11-11E3 1600 Ram, on a intel C204 chipset (as per documents) running Windows server 2008 R2.  We were looking at the following Graphics cards to get 4x4k monitor outputs (mostly for browser windows and pricing charts): 1) Nvidia Quadro K1200, 2) Nvidia Quadro P620, 3) Radeon Pro WX 4100, 4)Radeon Pro WX 3200.  However, we are being given the feedback from HP, AMD and Nvidia that they can not confirm compatibility (and in some cases state incompatibility).  Please we need help in how to connect 4 monitors/TVs (each of 4K) to the server.  If they can run the accelerator why not the graphics cards?  The next question was if 8Gb Ram would be enough and whether the CPU Ram or the GPU GDDR is more important to increase browser tab capacity and speed?

14 minutes ago, Fintechie said:

HP Proliant 310e Gen8 server

Here's the fun part:

In most servers, the PCIe slots are limited to 25watts of power draw (this is true for all the Dell PowerEdge servers) and have to be supplemented with 6/8 pin cables from the power supply, which typically don't exist. Dell at least, really don't want you turning a server into a high-res gaming box, so they restrict what video cards will work in it.

I suspect, though I can't be certain, HP does the same thing.

So you need to ask yourself two questions:

(1) Will it fit?

(2) How can I power it? 

The quick 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Thanks Radium Angel,  The 16 PCIe slot is 8 wired and according to documentation can run Quadro Graphic Accelerators (well over 80W).  The Radeon Pro cards are also 8 wired (and on Pc Part Picker I tried to check compatibility and only the Radeon Pro Wx 4100 seemed compatible with the Intel C204 chipset, but with only two micro motherboard options - Don't know if that validates anything)  These cards also only draw 40-70W.  Hopefully there is a graphic cards solution to push browser, pricing chart info onto 4 x 4k TV/Monitors (NOT high end gaming specs).  The data crunching is in the cloud, we only see pricing charts etc on the screens.  Appreciate the feedback.

Some older video cards will be capable of 4K but maybe only at 30 Hz due to HDMI limitations.  For pricing and basic things like that, you won't care about 30Hz vs 60Hz.

The server is new enough that it should have a UEFI "compatible" bios - most modern video cards (AMD Rx 4xx and newer, nvidia 1060 and newer) need a bios with UEFI. 

According to QuickSpecs you have one pci-e x16,  two pci-e x8 and one pci-e x4 slot : https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/gethtml.aspx?docname=c04123217

You can insert pci-e x16 cards into pci-e x8, if you dare to physically  cut the edge connector of the card to fit into the x8 slot (pci-e is designed on purpose like that and it will work)  or you can use a pci-e riser cable to convert your pci-e x8 slots to pci-e x16 slots.

example of such riser cables:

https://www.amazon.com/WANGE-Extension-Adapter-Express-Vertical/dp/B0885WDK95/

I would get a cheap used AMD RX470 / 480 / 570 / 580 - that will give you at least 3 displays, at least 2 displayports capable of 4K 60 Hz. There were so many sold and now as used cards you can probably get it for less than $100

As an example of older cards that could work perfectly, here's one : https://www.ebay.com/itm/9VHW0-AMD-Radeon-R5-430-2GB-Graphics-Video-Card-Low-Profile-Bracket-Dell/333807718981?epid=7038121647&hash=item4db87d9245%3Ag%3AK~0AAOSwq-dfxAvM&LH_BIN=1

It's an OEM Dell R5 430 with 2 GB VRAM and 2 displayports and it's 1 slot height, so you can fit 2 cards easily. It's also pci-e x8  but with a x16 edge connector, so you can easily CUT the extra edge connector to get it to fit into the slot. You can see there's literally no contacts on the right side of the connector.

image.png.cb9cfaba97b87a635924321a324150ea.png

17 minutes ago, mariushm said:

such riser cables:

The challenge of riser cables, is finding a slot then to physically connect the video card to. Not always possible in a server box.

20 minutes ago, Fintechie said:

4 x 4k TV/Monitors (NOT high end gaming specs)

I understand you are not trying to game, but the realm of 4x4K (to a server maker anyway) is firmly in the gaming realm, hence the power limitations which can be quite arbitrary.

PCPartPicker isn't going to have such things listed like dedicated severs, you'd probably be better off contacting HP directly and see what they have to say, but I"m willing to bet this would be new territory for them.

Do you have a 6pin/8pin power connector coming off the PSU?

If not, then finding a "low wattage" (aka 75watts, assuming standard PCIe power draw) video card that can push that resolution might be a trick

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Thanks MariusHM,  The Radeon Pro WX 4100 and Radeon Pro WX 3200 are like the cards you described, in that they are only 8 wired although they have a x16 connection and are workstation cards (and cost new between USD150-250 with 4x4k minidisplay ports @ 60hz).  The x18 PCIe slot on the motherboard is also only 8 wired.  It is Gen 2, but with the Xeon processor it is Gen3 compatible.  So the dilema I face is that will any of them fit in the server hardware to run the monitors, AND without frying the circuits... Also I could only find Windows Server 2008 R2 drivers for the Radeon Pro WX 4100 for the two AMD cards.

Thanks Radium_Angel,

The power supply is 350 W and the workstation cards we are mentioning are meant for the CAD market and draw 40-60 W only, but give the 4x4K monitors (as per documentation).  HP just comes back with documents of specifications and if it aint on it so it cant work.... is the philosophy.  But like I mentioned if they can run mamoth GDDR graphic accelerators on that PCIex16 (8 wired) slot why not the humble graphics card.  My concern apart from power is also drivers, bottlenecks, BIOS, connection to CPU/Chipset etc.  The corporate folks just respond on the tables published (or refer to the server manufacturer), however, I hope here we will be able to find a technical based solution....please