Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I have a 3600X, I used to have a 1500X, and so of course I just re-used my old motherboard. I have this little issue that I'm pretty sure I've accidentally solved, but I'm just looking for ideas as to why it happens. My current motherboard is a AsRock X370 Killer Sli/ac. So the highest stable overclock I'm able to achieve on my CPU is 4.375 Ghz, but this naturally comes at the cost of my cooler (120m rad AIO) running hotter, and thus louder. I wanted to have a slightly more quiet computer so I figured for the time being, I'd just revert to the stock clock. I did that, and the next time I booted my PC, I'd being doing my work and whatnot, but then the browser and things such as Discord would freeze, and even go completely black. I'm able to do everything else just fine (These are the only things affected, I'm able to open up other things and interact with other things on my pc still), and even just playing games isn't an issue, it's just with whatever browser I used (I've tried multiple) along with discord and steam. I should also note that It was an issue before I overclocked my CPU, and I updated my bios at the same time as I overclocked, so I assumed it might've been the bios that helped. I sort of just dealt with the issue for a while, figuring it was motherboard-related or maybe ram-related (Oh, and I have  16GB running @ 3000 mhz.) I'm not really looking for a solution, I'll just go back to my OC, but more or less just curious. My guess is my motherboard, being it's from first gen Ryzen. Edit: Ignore the status, I haven't updated that in years.

Current PC : Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.8GHZ / AsRock Killer X370 SLI/ac / MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 @ 2933 / Fractal Design Focus G White  / Corsair CX550M 80+ Bronze

Probs just a bios update that would fix it. Depending on when you upgraded it could be that your bios was just an early version with some bugs left

did you update your BIOS?

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

Spoiler

laptop: macbook air 13.3”

Spoiler

RAM: 4GB 1333MHz

CPU: Intel Core i5 2557M

SSD: 128GB

desktop: operation badger

Spoiler

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

Temps: CPU idle 45C, load 78C, top 85C. GPU idle 50C, load ~77C.

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

Just now, jaslion said:

Probs just a bios update that would fix it. Depending on when you upgraded it could be that your bios was just an early version with some bugs left

Just now, wall03 said:

did you update your BIOS?

I just updated it last week. It happened before and after it. 

Current PC : Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.8GHZ / AsRock Killer X370 SLI/ac / MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 @ 2933 / Fractal Design Focus G White  / Corsair CX550M 80+ Bronze

1 minute ago, AceTakeer said:

I just updated it last week. It happened before and after it. 

Could be a heap of other stuff that could have gotten confused with the upgrade or simply a small setting in the board that is supposed to be on or off with ryzen 3000 that is set to the wrong position.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Could be a heap of other stuff that could have gotten confused with the upgrade or simply a small setting in the board that is supposed to be on or off with ryzen 3000 that is set to the wrong position.

Yeah, that's why I pointed it to my motherboard, as I doubt too much testing has realistically being done on x370 boards paired with the 3600X. Like I said, overclocking appears to fix the issue for whatever reason lol

15 minutes ago, AceTakeer said:

Yeah, that's why I pointed it to my motherboard, as I doubt too much testing has realistically being done on x370 boards paired with the 3600X. Like I said, overclocking appears to fix the issue for whatever reason lol

Normally when I change CPU with same motherboard I clear CMOS before first boot with the new CPU installed and then check for BIOS and Chipset updates again afterwards

5 minutes ago, Shabba said:

Normally when I change CPU with same motherboard I clear CMOS before first boot with the new CPU installed and then check for BIOS and Chipset updates again afterwards

Huh, I guess I didn't do that. I'm lazy, so I won't, I'd rather just go ahead and overclock since that worked before, but if the same issue or any other arises again, I'll just try that.