Which new CPU for new system that lasts 10years+

pp85

After over 10 years I want to replace my old system.

Back in the days I was much more into gaming and stuff, and therefore much more up to date and knew which components I'd like to have in my system.

That is the core of my actual system: Intel i7 920, ASUS P6T Deluxe, 16GB RAM, Zotac GTX 285 AMP Edition

So, what do I intent to use my new system for:

• Gaming, although this means mostly Pro Evolution Soccer / Football Manager and some strategy games. But I am also not averse to a shooter (no FPS-hunter)
  • Photo-editing: Nothing serious. Hobby-photographer who uses Lightroom  / Photoshop
  • Video-editing: see above. Using a video editing software maybe once in two month
  • Day-to-day work: Chrome with 20 open tabs, Spotify, some youtube videos, Office Suite and 2-3 other programs all open at the same time

I'm going for an ITX build (Cooler Master Masterbox NR200P already ordered) that will last for 10 years. Components in the upper middle-class range.

In the pre Ryzen 5000 times I thought that the Ryzen 7 3700X will be the perfect fit for me. But now?

Should I go with (and my thoughts about them):

• Ryzen 7 3700X - good value for the money
  • Ryzen 5 5600X - only recommandable for gamers?
  • Ryzen 5 5800X - too pricey at the moment? I think for 400 USD / € i would take that...
  • Ryzen 7 5700X - not sure if and when that arrives?

Thanks so much for your recommandations and input!

1 minute ago, pp85 said:

Ryzen 7 5700X - not sure if and when that arrives?

I would go with this.

2 minutes ago, pp85 said:

Ryzen 5 5600X - only recommandable for gamers?

not quite, but it only has 6 cores

2 minutes ago, pp85 said:

Ryzen 5 5800X - too pricey at the moment? I think for 400 USD / € i would take that...

yes, too pricey. I would grab it if I had $400 and it was at that price

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

4 minutes ago, pp85 said:

that will last for 10 years.

Twin Xeons.

5 minutes ago, pp85 said:

Hobby-photographer who uses Lightroom  / Photoshop

Twin Xeons

video editing software

Twin Xeons

ITX build

Nevermind....😆

Pointless trivia: I use a twin Xeon workstation rig for my photography/some videography and have been super super pleased with its performance.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

10 years is a long long time for a system and with how the market is today I don't think you are gonna get a golden cpu like the 920 again. At least not right now.

The 5800x would be the sweetspot but it's far too expensive. I would not get any cpu that isn't an 8core/16thread model right now.

Also a golden tip for that case. DO NOT use the glass panel your components will run extremely hot when that is used. Also invest in some decent fans like the arctic p12's and do a bottom to top airflow scheme in it.

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Twin Xeons.

Twin Xeons

Twin Xeons

Nevermind....😆

Pointless trivia: I use a twin Xeon workstation rig for my photography/some videography and have been super super pleased with its performance.

Which ones? Basically every v2 xeon build even the 24core/48thread ones are matched nowadays with consumer cpu's sadly :p.

10 minutes ago, pp85 said:

After over 10 years I want to replace my old system.

Back in the days I was much more into gaming and stuff, and therefore much more up to date and knew which components I'd like to have in my system.

That is the core of my actual system: Intel i7 920, ASUS P6T Deluxe, 16GB RAM, Zotac GTX 285 AMP Edition

So, what do I intent to use my new system for:

• Gaming, although this means mostly Pro Evolution Soccer / Football Manager and some strategy games. But I am also not averse to a shooter (no FPS-hunter)
  • Photo-editing: Nothing serious. Hobby-photographer who uses Lightroom  / Photoshop
  • Video-editing: see above. Using a video editing software maybe once in two month
  • Day-to-day work: Chrome with 20 open tabs, Spotify, some youtube videos, Office Suite and 2-3 other programs all open at the same time

I'm going for an ITX build (Cooler Master Masterbox NR200P already ordered) that will last for 10 years. Components in the upper middle-class range.

In the pre Ryzen 5000 times I thought that the Ryzen 7 3700X will be the perfect fit for me. But now?

Should I go with (and my thoughts about them):

• Ryzen 7 3700X - good value for the money
  • Ryzen 5 5600X - only recommandable for gamers?
  • Ryzen 5 5800X - too pricey at the moment? I think for 400 USD / € i would take that...
  • Ryzen 7 5700X - not sure if and when that arrives?

Thanks so much for your recommandations and input!

They will most likely announce the 5700x at CES, don't count on it though

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Which ones? Basically every v2 xeon build even the 24core/48thread ones are matched nowadays with consumer cpu's sadly :p.

Go big, or go home. 

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-CM8066902885200-E7-8890V4-2-2-24-core-threads/dp/B01I4CE3NU/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=48+Core+Xeon&qid=1607087991&sr=8-5

And yes, I'm being silly here, but there is something special about running a dual CPU Xeon rig, knowing there is power available in spades for any workload you can think of.

Plus RAM, lots and lots of RAM. I'm putting together a system right now that will support half a terabyte of RAM, who knows, that might even be enough for Chrome to launch two tabs! 🤪

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Go big, or go home. 

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-CM8066902885200-E7-8890V4-2-2-24-core-threads/dp/B01I4CE3NU/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=48+Core+Xeon&qid=1607087991&sr=8-5

And yes, I'm being silly here, but there is something special about running a dual CPU Xeon rig, knowing there is power available in spades for any workload you can think of.

Plus RAM, lots and lots of RAM. I'm putting together a system right now that will support half a terabyte of RAM, who knows, that might even be enough for Chrome to launch two tabs! 🤪

I find dual cpu systems for home users a thing of the past. I mean they are useless in almost any task but rendering as the second cpu is just not seen by almost any application. In the end only programs that really need a massive amount of cpu power can even use multiple cpu's so it's one of those situations where they are pretty obsolete for home users considering we now have threadripper cpu's that are 64 core beasts

I mean I ran a e5 2697v2 rig from 2015-2019 and it was a blessing for rendering stuff and then I replaced it with my ryzen 2700x as I didn't need that much power anymore anyways and someone offered a very good price for it. That and if I need the power I can just easily upgrade to a 5950x or something.

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Go big, or go home. 

what about EPYC?

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I find dual cpu systems for home users a thing of the past.

what about home servers? (just wondering)

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

2 minutes ago, wall03 said:

what about home servers? (just wondering)

Same story. I mean what DO you need all those cores for? Sure if you do a homelab then it can become needed but really you can do a lot with some random office dell from ebay with an i7 in it.

2 minutes ago, wall03 said:

what about EPYC?

Certainly an option, I just prefer Xeons.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

and it was a blessing for rendering stuff

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

as I didn't need that much power anymore

Different strokes, it's all good. 

Just now, jaslion said:

Same story. I mean what DO you need all those cores for? Sure if you do a homelab then it can become needed but really you can do a lot with some random office dell from ebay with an i7 in it.

I would assume, though, if you were setting up an NAS... and a web server? and email server?

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

1 minute ago, wall03 said:

NAS... and a web server? and email server?

All in one, yes, lots of cheap RAM and then one nice server that can handle everything.

1 minute ago, wall03 said:

I would assume, though, if you were setting up an NAS... and a web server? and email server?

So the stuff my optiplex 9020 with an i5 3570 handles like a champ? Sure if the users exploded it would not be enough but the hundreds of requests a day it does it does without a hitch.

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

All in one, yes, lots of cheap RAM and then one nice server that can handle everything.

thought so. 48GB of ECC RAM for $70 on eBay.

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Hold on Hold on guys...I'm only understanding half of what you're talking about 😆

So to sum it up @wall03, @jaslion root for the (hopefully) upcoming 5700x - or the 5800x when it's (hopefully...again) around 400 bucks.

Which @Downkey thinks could be announced at the beginning of January...

So what this all comes about is: I have to stare at my new case for at least another two months before I can continue. 👿

Either with a cheaper 5800x or a new 5700x.

FWIW, I used a Core 2 Quad Q9550 for 12 years before I upgraded to a Ryzen 5 3600 several months ago.

Granted, I don't really play games but the recent need to work from home prompted me to throw out the towel on the old one. I'll probably keep the 3600 at least 6-8 years or until I genuinely need a faster one. This being on a B550 AORUS Pro board, I can probably get a Ryzen 5xxx later. I do some light video editing, so...

for 10 years, u'd have to treat the difference between the 5600x and 5800x like the 2500k and 2600k, the extra threads did come into play about 3 years ago for me, the 5600x and 3700x would be out of the equation, 8c/16t it is, if you have to buy now 5800x, or wait for a price drop.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

High probability that anything you buy now will survive 10 years 

If it's fast enough in 10 years though, who knows.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Thanks all for contributing.

I tend towards the 5800X more and more, albeit almost all reviews name it the "worst" of the new Ryzens 5000.

On 12/4/2020 at 2:22 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Go big, or go home. 

No offense but why would you need that much of ram for?

6 minutes ago, AzzaNezz said:

No offense but why would you need that much of ram for?

Bragging rights, it's cheap, and working with RAW files (I"m a photographer) can chew up some memory.

And no offense taken :)