New headphones, downgrade from Beyer T70

artuc

Hi guys

Damaged my T70s and so looking for a replacement, budgetwise it's a downgrade. Trying to stick to $200-300AUD.

Had Alessandro MS-1s before these and a few beater travel pairs like Koss and cheap AT and Sonys.

Contemplating DT770s as probably the closest as I was happy with the T70s.

Not opposed to change though and am on the fence on closed vs open, am considering DT990s, M40x/M50x or HE400i as well in the current shortlist.

Can demo but can't directly compare some of them as local stores have different brand distribution.

Any other thoughts of what to try ? I haven't been a huge Senn or AKG fan in the past but am open to suggestions.

Mix of music and gaming, mostly alt dance, electro pop, indie, power metal and classic rock/pop although tend to listen across genres. I have weird taste.

Only other thought is the T70s were easy to drive for 250 ohm  so I do have an old d-zero but found it wasn't always necessary. May be some budget for a cheap portable like an e10k, I have heard some of the Beyers need it in the higher inpedance flavours or go with a lower impedance version...?

Any help appreciated.

15 hours ago, artuc said:

Hi guys

Damaged my T70s and so looking for a replacement, budgetwise it's a downgrade. Trying to stick to $200-300AUD.

Had Alessandro MS-1s before these and a few beater travel pairs like Koss and cheap AT and Sonys.

Contemplating DT770s as probably the closest as I was happy with the T70s.

Not opposed to change though and am on the fence on closed vs open, am considering DT990s, M40x/M50x or HE400i as well in the current shortlist.

Can demo but can't directly compare some of them as local stores have different brand distribution.

Any other thoughts of what to try ? I haven't been a huge Senn or AKG fan in the past but am open to suggestions.

Mix of music and gaming, mostly alt dance, electro pop, indie, power metal and classic rock/pop although tend to listen across genres. I have weird taste.

Only other thought is the T70s were easy to drive for 250 ohm  so I do have an old d-zero but found it wasn't always necessary. May be some budget for a cheap portable like an e10k, I have heard some of the Beyers need it in the higher inpedance flavours or go with a lower impedance version...?

Any help appreciated.

so specifically the 250 dt 770 isnt too far off from the t70 from what I remember but different enought to kinda reconsider them if your looking fro a direct downgrade. I will say from comparing them I do like the dt 770 more.   the bass on the 770 is a but more neutral but is better extended it feels like the bass region has more weight adn impact to it while the t70 sounded lacking and thinner to my ears especially in the subbass regions. the t70 to my ears had superior mids much more present and slightly ore forward while the 770 while present and clear just did not sound as good as the t70.  the treble is waht made me like the dt 770 I felt the spikes were different with bothheadphones most beyers netither of these were exceptions to the beyer 9-10k spike I usually hear and somewhat fond of . the t70 felt like it had a stronger 7-8k spike which is my personal sensitive spot so everything sounded like it had an extre edge to it  which I was not a fan of.I will admit Its a unfair assesment as I definitely did not give it enough time for my ears to get used to but it was far too fatiguing to keep going. the one thing they have fairly similar that i do appreciate is their soundstage and imaging capabilities from what I remember was pretty similar 

2 hours ago, rice guru said:

the one thing they have fairly similar that i do appreciate is their soundstage and imaging capabilities from what I remember was pretty similar 

Thanks

So I mean the T70s ticked a lot of the boxes at the time and sounds like the DT770s are fairly similar so I should be happy enough.

How do you feel about some of your other gear in comparison?

3 hours ago, artuc said:

Thanks

So I mean the T70s ticked a lot of the boxes at the time and sounds like the DT770s are fairly similar so I should be happy enough.

How do you feel about some of your other gear in comparison?

I rock a lot of open backs as you can see. So the DT 990. Treble kinda similar to the t70 but the treble spikes is still.more gentle than a t70, the midbass is more boosted and the mids are not the highlight at all with this headphone. With the hifimans. Just pure neutral bright sound. Very wide sounding very fast drivers hard to describe how they fully sound cause planar's and dynamics just straight up sound different. The 58x is probably the most different to the t70. Gentle  detailed bass response awesome midrange performance and treble is super smooth. The imaging is great but soundstage is a bit lacking

On 12/4/2020 at 12:24 PM, artuc said:

Why not get them repaired. Synchronised Technology is the company in australia who deals with beyerdynamic repairs. Get in touch with them and maybe they can repair it for less then getting worse headphones.

Synchronised Technology Contact:
service@syntec.com.au 
1300 467 968

9 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Why not get them repaired. Synchronised Technology is the company in australia who deals with beyerdynamic repairs. Get in touch with them and maybe they can repair it for less then getting worse headphones.

An excellent idea, already spoke to a very helpful guy however the cost of repairs is $280+AUD, he was a bit shocked at the cost himself and he said he has a pair of T70s on his desk which he really likes but would probably just switch to DT770s himself for that sort of coin.

Dropped them on an earcup hard, voice coil wire has snapped, small termination PCB came off. Me opening them hasn't helped, lol. However was hoping it was just the cable termination.

Definitely second calling them though as Beyer do stock most parts and do repairs which is a big plus for the brand and they are nice and helpful.

Currently contemplating on selling/donating for repairs or modding use.

So did some listening.

Massively torn between DT770 and K371.

The 770 has more character to it's audio and the ruggedness/repairability. Very slightly prefer the sound.

K371 is a bit more 'boring' but lighter, more comfortable for me and more portable. There is also the bluetooth option. Still really like the sound though just seems to lack the edge/quirks of the 770s. Easy to drive, even compared to the 80Z flavour of he 770s

Didn't like the 990 quite as much as the 770s

M40x despite being panned a bit now, can see why they're widely recommended. Not in the same league but fun to listen to and affordable. Slightly preferred SRH440 sound but was a bit less engaging and uncomfortable on my head. 

Indecision time!

On 12/10/2020 at 3:02 PM, artuc said:

So did some listening.

Massively torn between DT770 and K371.

The 770 has more character to it's audio and the ruggedness/repairability. Very slightly prefer the sound.

K371 is a bit more 'boring' but lighter, more comfortable for me and more portable. There is also the bluetooth option. Still really like the sound though just seems to lack the edge/quirks of the 770s. Easy to drive, even compared to the 80Z flavour of he 770s

Didn't like the 990 quite as much as the 770s

M40x despite being panned a bit now, can see why they're widely recommended. Not in the same league but fun to listen to and affordable. Slightly preferred SRH440 sound but was a bit less engaging and uncomfortable on my head. 

Indecision time!

I found my DT770s to get much better after a fair few hours of listening. Brand new they were disappointing (I imported them so I was stuck with them) but now they sound awesome, and it’s great to have the tank-like durability. The 80 ohm model can be used decently with a phone or laptop. Not sure about the 250 ohm. Only issue I have is the very long cable, which can be fixed for not too much money, especially if you DIY it. 

That's an F in the profile pic

3 hours ago, Froody129 said:

I found my DT770s to get much better after a fair few hours of listening. Brand new they were disappointing (I imported them so I was stuck with them) but now they sound awesome, and it’s great to have the tank-like durability. The 80 ohm model can be used decently with a phone or laptop. Not sure about the 250 ohm. Only issue I have is the very long cable, which can be fixed for not too much money, especially if you DIY it. 

Cheers, these were a well loved demo pair.

Yeah I did notice the 80Z were doable straight out of my phone, however still weren't easy to drive and benefited from my old D-Zero. 250Z were borderline on my phone.

K371s on the other hand were very easy to drive and didn't have as noticeable a difference with the D-Zero.

I think I'm leaning to K371s just purely from them being a more practical easy to use choice.