Budget (including currency): 120.000 HUF or 400 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  1080p gaming 60fps

I want to upgrade my first pc that I built. It's almost 7 years old:

Motherboard: ASUS b85-m gamer

Cpu: i5-4460

Gpu: Gigabyte GTX960 4gb OC

Psu: FSP 550w Raider 80+ gold

Ram: HyperX 1600mhz ddr3 8gb single channel

I planned to upgrade it in parts so the 400usd is for GPU or Cpu mobo ram. 

Is it worth upgrading for a ryzen 5 3600 with new motherboard etc. or I can get an i7-4790 or the K version for 120 and 150 usd used. Maybe 1more of the Ram stick and later a Z series motherboard used. About the GPU I want to get somwthing in the 200 usd range like an RX 580 or 1660ti. Do you have any recommendations for the parts? It can be used. What to upgrade first? Is it worth buying high end stuff from years ago or just buy new hardware? 

Xeon E3-1231v3 is similar to an I7 4790 (non-k) and usually very cheap used. Get that and pair it with a 5600xt or something. Also, might be worth getting another 8gb stick of ram.

Alternatively, you could wait a little longer until the budget-oriented new GPUs come out (RTX 3050? RX 6500xt?) and the new Ryzen 3 CPUs. 

You're also overdue for a PSU upgrade. Look for a Corsair CX 450 or CX 550. Those are great

i think it is worth upgrading to a ryzen 5 3600 since you are getting 6 cores and 12 threads. comapred to the i7-4790 which is only 4 cores and 8 threads.

its also a good way to get into ddr4 ram. since i think ddr3 rams. while not unusable, are fairly old now at this point.

for the gpu. about 2 weeks ago i had bought a 2nd hand RX590 for around 200$. and i think that is a good card for the value (from where i am from)

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

2 minutes ago, Zenedge said:

i think it is worth upgrading to a ryzen 5 3600 since you are getting 6 cores and 12 threads. comapred to the i7-4790 which is only 4 cores and 8 threads.

its also a good way to get into ddr4 ram. since i think ddr3 rams. while not unusable, are fairly old now at this point.

for the gpu. about 2 weeks ago i had bought a 2nd hand RX590 for around 200$. and i think that is a good card for the value (from where i am from)

He's on a $400 budget in Hungary... Don't be ridiculous, he's not going to get a 3600, a motherboard and RAM for it, a used 590, and the PSU upgrade he needs all for that.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

He's on a $400 budget in Hungary... Don't be ridiculous, he's not going to get a 3600, a motherboard and RAM for it, a used 590, and the PSU upgrade he needs all for that.

ahh fair enough. i dont know how the prices are in hungary. my bad 

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

The cheapest upgrades I can think of, are increase your RAM to 16GB, good size SSD if you don't have one, and maybe new dGPU.

Sorry I don't know what is available in Hungary or what the prices would be.

About the prices in usd in Hungary:

•Ryzen 5 3600 costs 300$

•I can get a used rx 590 for 200-210$

•E3-1231v3 i can only get it from ebay for 90$ +free shipping since in Hun we dont have a big marketplace for older hardware. 

• for another 8gb ram stick i spend 50$ more

• a corsair cx 550 another 100$

• GTX 1070 ti is around 280$ used

After i spend money I wont be upgrading it for a few years. 

My question is, should i get the server cpu(e3-1231v3) with a better PSU and another 8gb ram or do I get better results purchasing a used rx590 for example?

Mostly I'm gonna play cod warzone, wow shadowlands, gta v, red dead 2, and maybe some triple A titles from 2019-2020. I'm okay with med-high settings with those. 

Thank you for all the help guys. :)